PDA

View Full Version : [EURO] Running in engine

jkz
14-09-2005, 09:38 PM
hey all finally got my arctic blue euro today :D the dealer said i should take it easy for the first 500k's and them really give it to it between that and 1000k's so it will run in better. what are your thoughts everyone? :confused:

aaronng
14-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Congrats! I followed the mototune method.

I warmed up my engine, and then gave it medium throttle up to 4500rpm, back down to normal and then up to redline and then back down, all in 2nd gear.

THen after that, full throttle up to 4500rpm and then down, then full throttle up to redline.

Be gentle with your gearbox. Your engine is run in partially from the factory. But your gearbox and drivetrain isn't. Those parts NEED the running in.

nexace
14-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Congrats! I followed the mototune method.

Serious?! :D

:thumbsup:

V205
14-09-2005, 11:47 PM
I also practice the motortune philoshophy with varying strategies.

stephen8512
14-09-2005, 11:57 PM
yeah i used the motortune as well
i cant remember where but there was a link that shows 2 identical cars being run in
1 was being kept shifting under 2500 rpm + no redline until 5000kms and the other was used using motortune method and running in at high RPM's and the occasional redline VTEC. it later showed that both cars on the 10,000 major first service, they straight away did a dyno. the car that was run in using motortune actually had a few more kw power rating than the other one that was kept conservative.

aaronng
15-09-2005, 12:13 AM
The mototune one will have more power because the piston rings leak less. Also it seems to keep the piston in good condition.

But you have to be careful with mototune because the transmission and driveline are not worn in yet, so make sure you have a long road, with no traffic.

One thing you must remember to do if you want to use the mototune method is to start your car and wait for about 1 minute to let the transmission oil warm up a bit and get around. Then drive normally with less than 1/4 throttle and no passing 2500rpm. Stay like this until your temperature needle is at operating level, then you can do it. In fact, even after your engine is run in, it is good practice to let the transmission bathe the internals first and to drive very lightly until you reach operating temperature and then only give more throttle.

jkz
15-09-2005, 01:41 AM
ok, not really understanding this monotune method thing. lol

h22a accord
15-09-2005, 07:24 AM
ok, not really understanding this monotune method thing. lol

read this-

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

euro1978
15-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Step 1 - Fill up fuel tank on the way home from dealer
Step 2 - Drive car into garage leaving garage door slighly open (this is important)
Step 3 - Jack up car
Step 4 - Place wheel stands at all four corners.
Step 5 - Get into the driver's seat and accelerate car to 120km/h in third gear.
Step 6 - Switch on Cruise Control
Step 7 - Leave car in this position overnight.

baboo
15-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Step 2 - Drive car into garage leaving garage door slighly open (this is important)
Step 3 - Jack up car
Step 5 - Get into the driver's seat and accelerate car to 120km/h in third gear.

AHAHA euro1978, you've always cracked me with with your comments!! :D :thumbsup:

aaronng
15-09-2005, 12:13 PM
LOL... Do you close the garage door when doing that? If you don't, then it's a free car for grabs and if you do, the carbon monoxide will travel up into the house. :D

euro1978
15-09-2005, 12:26 PM
LOL... Do you close the garage door when doing that? If you don't, then it's a free car for grabs and if you do, the carbon monoxide will travel up into the house. :D

Please observe Step 2

h22a accord
15-09-2005, 01:28 PM
lol, is anyone else thinking of the scene in Ferrris Beuler's day off when the red car falls off the jack stands?

ant234
15-09-2005, 01:32 PM
that would be a funny thing if it did fall off the jack!

btw wth the price of petrol, tats rather expensive to run in a car =)

h22a accord
15-09-2005, 01:38 PM
are u serious?

u cant run in a car like that.. theres no load on the engine :confused:

haha, yeah, no load at a constant rpm. Cant think of much worse ways to run a car in.

as001
15-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Step 3 - Jack up car

you actually did this?

Chi
15-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Step 3 - Jack up car

HAHAHA !!!

Rep point to u!