PDA

View Full Version : sell my r33 gtst and buy a DC5R?

mytype
14-09-2005, 09:54 PM
hey guys,

im new to this forum, and new to honda's so i need a bit of help.. i want to sell my r33 gtst and buy a 2001+ dc5 type R integra.. but theres one thing that put me off...

i know everyone in this forum knows this already.. the aus type R is different to the japanease type R.... the 14kw reduction is due to the re-mapping to ensure reliabity with australia's 95 octane fuel, but i cant understand why they took the brembo's off and gave us 16" wheels instead of 17's and 55 profile tyres instead of 45.

These are the only differences i know of, if theres any more can someone tell me what they are? is there anything else i should kno to help me decide?

im seriously considering buying a type R so if someone can help me out that would be great :)

FunkyR
14-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Hiya....

Well, come to a honda forum and you'll probably get the majority of ppl saying to get the DC5R.... ;)

If you get a DC5R you'll get bagged countlessly by nissan owners, get not much bang for bucks on mods and have people not believe you how quick it is....

Having said all that, the DC5R is an awesome car. Mod it correctly and you'll get alot out of it - it responds better to mods than a DC2R.... On the track it'll really eat up alot of other cars.... Fun to drive and handling that is superb....

My thumbs up for a DC5R!

sydteg21
15-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Are you sure,in my opinion i think DC2R is better than DC5R

bennyBear
15-09-2005, 12:38 AM
A lot of comparisons have been done on here re. dc5r vs. the world. You are definately looking at a huge change, rw-fw, turbo to N/A etc etc.

Advice would be to drive one as much as possible then decide wether you are making the right move!!!

DC5R's do respond very well to mods, but the mods in question are very expensive compared to what you could get for your skyline. I have been fortunate enough to have driven both R's and i think that the 2R feels like more of a drivers car, the 5R definately feels like it has been toned down and 'restricted' alot to suit a different market!

As far as quality and individuality is concerned you are certainly taking a step in the right direction!!

Good luck and welcome to OH.

kOncept
15-09-2005, 12:54 AM
i also went from a nissan (slightly worked s14 <13secs) to a honda (near stock dc2r >20secs), and I'm now looking for an s15 or gtr to park next to the R.

I love the handling but miss the straight line flying... but would not get rid of the R for a nissan I know i'd miss the handling too much...

TypeG
15-09-2005, 01:05 AM
DC2R
never go wrong

JINRAI
15-09-2005, 01:10 AM
just a note to all please do not let this thread turn into another DC2 vs. DC5 battle...will be locked and closed if it head towards that direction

as001
15-09-2005, 01:12 AM
If u can stretch it type S would be better or a prelude last model release atts manual

dc2dc2dc2
15-09-2005, 01:14 AM
how...did dc2r even come into the equation ? he was simply asking the difference between jdm dc5r vs audm dc5r. Im sure, this has been discussed several times before..i remember reading it..just search around buddy, you will find it more useful than these "GO DC2R" posts. :)

Cr@ckerJ@ck
15-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi mytype, Welcome to OZHONDA...... From my limited knowlege I believe the JDM and the AUDM DC5R are really quite different cars, apart from the differences which you already mentioned I am sure alot of other things have been changed, the motor, manifold and suspention are all different? However don't let that put you off, do as others have said take one for a test drive and give it hell and I am sure it will leave a smile on your dial. I love my DC5R to bits as do most other owners and for a daily driver/work car it suits me to a T!

mytype
15-09-2005, 01:53 PM
yeh i hear alot about the handling of these cars, and thats the main reason im making the switch.. im going to keep the car stock because i want it to be practical for daily driving (unlike my 33)...

the only mod im planning to do is put a set of Brembo's on, so its going to be pretty much stock but at the same time i want it to put a smile on my face around a bendy road. If it can do that in stock form i will make the switch..

I cant really drive as hard as i would want to in a test drive so thats why im asking the dc5r owners here what they think about there car.

FunkyR
15-09-2005, 02:25 PM
I think they took off the brembos and 17s to make it cheaper otherwise it'd be too expensive for our market....

the differences on JDM vs AUDM has been done to death... ;) but here's a quick summary of a few differences...

AUDM:
7900 cut out vs 8400
11:1 CR compated to 11.5:1
variable cam shaft timing on exhaust (or was it intake) side only (not both intake & exhaust in JDM)
I think it's got S2k valve springs (not too sure on this one)
smaller intake manifold
different header
no variable pressure exhaust valve
different ECU/CAT
16" rims
S2k brakes instead of brembos
no aluminium lower front control arms
rear sway 19mm not 22mm
different suspension set up (rides ~10mm higher than JDM)
no HIDS
different speedo & interior H badge
no red rocker cover/silver sparkie plug cover

Not worth the brembo conversion from a JDM DC5 - need to replace front sway, fron lower control arms, knuckles, get 17" rims with bigger offset (JDM +60). All in all costs a bomb. Might be a better option is to go aftermarket eg AP, wilwood, Endless, Spoon etc.... should be easy to get - same brakes as s2000

Will your DC5R stay stock? I doubt it... ;)

davidd
15-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Dc5rs respond better to mods than dc2r's do.. but all in all the Dc5r is a more comfortable daily driver in its stock form. When modified it can easily compete, and in my mind out-compete a DC2r.

But you have to choose your mods wisely, modding the car can sometimes result in alot of money changing hands, but no real performance gains. If your really intereseted, check out www.clubrsx.com, they have a better route for planing your cars life ...

jdmlvn
15-09-2005, 11:20 PM
yoo mytype..welcome abooard..

i believe u took 'mytype' from the numberplate of a red dc2r..

shame..LMAO JKS my brother got his dc5r for 32k

SAWAKITA
16-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Hi there, I was in the same position as you 1 and half month ago. I had a R33 GTST Series 2 and I wanted to switch it to DC2R or DC5R. But its really hard to find a good condition DC2R, the DC5Rs I've look at is too expansive for a 2nd hand car. So I went and bought a brand new Type S.
AUDM Type S 154kw vs JDM Type R 162kw, not too much difference.
About the brembo, I'd go for aftermarket like what FunkyR said.

Much better car for daily driving, use much less fuel than the R33.
Good luck on finding your HONDA.

mytype
16-09-2005, 07:50 PM
yoo mytype..welcome abooard..

i believe u took 'mytype' from the numberplate of a red dc2r..

shame..LMAO JKS my brother got his dc5r for 32k

yeh his a mate of mine, jason.. havent seen him for a while though.. i moved outa that area and havent seen him around since but didnt his dc2r get Confiscated and auctioned off?.. great plate though, im gonna ask him if his still got em, mayb der for sale :D

coladuna
16-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Type S is awesome. Beats DC2R and DC5R in every single aspect.
No idea why people complained when Honda Australia replaced DC5R with Type S. It's a much better car for the money.

FunkyR
16-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Well next motor magazine they put a DC2 DC5 and type S back to back and on track. The times were suprisingly very close... keep ur eyes out for it....

matt
22-09-2005, 11:41 PM
No idea why people complained when Honda Australia replaced DC5R with Type S. It's a much better car for the money.

It really depends what your after, i recently purchased an 02 dc5R and i did drive the type s but it is a softer car compared to the dc5r. the seats suck compared to the recaros in the R gear shift doesn't feel as nice little things like that and coming from the r33 you'll enjoy the dc5r. and don't worry about the compare to the jdm dc5 cause ours is still wicked to drive

JINRAI
23-09-2005, 12:34 AM

every single aspect? please enlighten us...and u can start with the gearbox ;)

TeMp
23-09-2005, 01:34 AM
every single aspect? please enlighten us...and u can start with the gearbox ;)

ditto

TECBOY
23-09-2005, 05:02 PM
"i want it to put a smile on my face around a bendy road"...

DC5r is the right car for you then :)
In stock form they will smash any FWD rumor u have heard in terms of grip, handling and performance. Go the DC5r all the way

mcdare
23-09-2005, 10:35 PM
fantastic handling from the integra series. but as a previous owner of both a dc2 and a r33, i feel that its easier to handle the r33 (rwd) around mountain passes and tight corners, and IF you do spin out, it'll be easier to counter.. whereas if you were to spin out in a FWD, good luck.. (personal experience :(( )

FunkyR
24-09-2005, 12:03 AM
R33 easier than ur DC2 around mountain passes and tight corners and easier to get out of a RWD spin?? guess it's all personal I guess.... most ppl would find the opposite...