PDA

View Full Version : Question re: A Pillar Rattle [Euro]

FWCL
15-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I know this issue has been raised a few times. However, my question is whether anyone has had their winscreen clips changed/repaired to rectify this problem. If so, what was done by the dealer? Were new clips installed or adhesives used?

I had a really bad rattle from new when temp dropped below say 10C (ie. in the mornings). Drove me bloody nuts! It was actually more like a crackling sound. However, based on advise on this forum, I got rid of the noise by pressing hard on the plastic strip where the windscreen meets the A pillar. The rattle is now gone except for really big bumps. However, the weather is also much warmer now. So I'm not sure if it'll come back. I'm thinking of getting the dealer to do something about it at the next service. However, I'm not sure if I should demand that the clips be changed irrespective of proving the rattle in a test drive.

Anyone had their's rectified by the dealer?

yfin
15-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Just press the windscreen cowl in a few times - in my case it was a permanent fix.

FWCL
15-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah, it seem to work for me too. So you reckon I should not get the clips changed or resetted?

yfin
15-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah, it seem to work for me too. So you reckon I should not get the clips changed or resetted?

Not unless it is happening. The less your car is pulled apart by some apprentice mechanic the better. It is like fixing rattles - dealers pull apart the doors and dash, etc, and sometimes create new rattles that are worse than the ones you wanted to fix!

euro1978
15-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Agreed.

I would not let the dealer rectumfy it.

You may extirpate the rattle in question but pulling apart the interior will undoubtably result in other niggling rattles down the tracks.

cgspot
15-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm getting this annoying rattle in the drivers window too...

Sorry to be such a newbie, but what do you mean by the windscreen cowl?

Thanks

Just press the windscreen cowl in a few times - in my case it was a permanent fix.

aaronng
15-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm getting this annoying rattle in the drivers window too...

Sorry to be such a newbie, but what do you mean by the windscreen cowl?

Thanks
The huge black piece of plastic located between the windscreen and the bonnet. Where the wipers come out.