PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an S2000

davidd
15-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm selling my supercharged DC5r, and moving into the world of convertibles. Is there anything I should look out for when buying an s2000.

I'm looking for low k's, 03+ black, with red leather. Anything in particular I should look out for ?

Cheers

mini_s2000
15-09-2005, 05:52 PM
i would just get it checked out by your machanic...

davidd
15-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Of course... Also I would also get a compression test done and so on... but is there anything in particular I should look out for with this model ?

.::F[L]Y::.
15-09-2005, 06:26 PM
when purchasing 03 model theres not much to look for as all the flaws of the earlier model have been fixed. ie the clutch buzz, crappy plastic window and master cylinder problem.

mini_s2000
15-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Y::.']when purchasing 03 model theres not much to look for as all the flaws of the earlier model have been fixed. ie the clutch buzz, crappy plastic window and master cylinder problem.

whats wrong with the master cylinder?

15-09-2005, 06:53 PM
was told by someone a while ago that it usually gets replaced around the 40000km as their is a glitch with it...but then again could be bs.

numlock
15-09-2005, 07:05 PM
try to find the models with glass rear window... makes a big difference

Steer^Gimic
15-09-2005, 08:06 PM
amen to the glass window.

and just get the g/box checked out proper. some make a wack noise when you back off throttle. def from gearbox as well.

keric_02
15-09-2005, 08:42 PM
try to find the models with glass rear window... makes a big difference

heard the same thing here but early models, i think 03+ comes with the glass rear window so it shouldnt be a problem

davidd
16-09-2005, 08:49 AM
02+ is glass window... and I'll definetly look out for any gear box and master cylinder troubles

cheers guys

IRI
16-09-2005, 09:07 AM
amen to the glass window.

and just get the g/box checked out proper. some make a wack noise when you back off throttle. def from gearbox as well.

the noise is from the clutch wear plate.

davidd
16-09-2005, 09:20 AM
the noise is from the clutch wear plate.

Just speaking to a friend of mine who owns an S2k, and supposedly they tracked it down to being the springs on the clutch disk not being up to scratch

IRI
16-09-2005, 09:28 AM
mines got the noise, at first it sounds really bad, but then you get used to it and forget its even there. Some were replaced under warranty in the early days when Honda themselves didnt know wtf was going on (apparently the first few that came back they replaced whole gear boxes) But yeah it's no real biggy, when you replace the clutch they install the new parts to fix the problem.

stoodamire
25-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Get the 05 Model, have a really nice subtle facelift and rims.

davidd
25-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Yeh I know, they also did some minor suspension changes and etc ...

But thats not going to matter, the car will be kitted, new rims and a good set of coilovers :)

blusir2
26-09-2005, 01:01 PM
can u change the convert top on the older models to the glass ones???

i am lookin to buy a S2K but wouldnt wanna spend the money on a 2002 one...too much money for me?? and how does the wind deflector fit?? thru that plastic on the storage compartment?? does it mean i gotta drill holes thru it??

panda
26-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Get the 05 Model, have a really nice subtle facelift and rims.

what comes with late model cars comes ch-ching $,$$$ :p

IRI
27-09-2005, 04:10 PM
can u change the convert top on the older models to the glass ones?????

Yes but it's expensive

and how does the wind deflector fit?? thru that plastic on the storage compartment?? does it mean i gotta drill holes thru it

Wind deflector is on all models so i dunno what ur talking about?

91'lude
27-09-2005, 04:18 PM
The 05 isnt all that nice anyway, its just a gimick really, the AP1's can look just as nice. Plus the suspension changes are slowly taking away its hard edge.

IRI
27-09-2005, 04:22 PM
AP2 interior is nicer, and the centre console has a much more usuable layout.

s2king
27-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Look, here is the bottom line. An S2000 is an S2000 and wheather you have a 99 model or an 05 model, your all lucky:) anyway. Mechanicaly there are almost no difference, only mechanical changes are: revised suspension, transmition is stronger (dont know exactly what) but thats what Honda said, and the exhaust is slightly diff in terms of emitions and so fourth. In terms of looks, its really upto the person, some people like the new look some people dont really oh and yeah well theres always the price difference.
By the way, the 05 models are still called AP1.

27-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Look, here is the bottom line. An S2000 is an S2000 and wheather you have a 99 model or an 05 model, your all lucky:) anyway. Mechanicaly there are almost no difference, only mechanical changes are: revised suspension, transmition is stronger (dont know exactly what) but thats what Honda said, and the exhaust is slightly diff in terms of emitions and so fourth. In terms of looks, its really upto the person, some people like the new look some people dont really oh and yeah well theres always the price difference.
By the way, the 05 models are still called AP1.

thought it was called AP2? and i have to agree with s2king on this one. An s2000 is an s2000. the AP2 center console can be easily put into the AP1, seen some members on s2ki do it. Also the AP2 front bar fits onto the AP1 though the headlights will need slight modifications. But if i had a choice i would have bought the 02. :thumbsup:

s2king
27-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Nah its called AP1 from 99-current 05 all AP1, you have hung around US forums too long:) lol because theirs is called AP2 due to the 2.2L engine.

panda
27-09-2005, 08:02 PM
i would say there is enough change in the new model to warant a difference between the new and old s2k

the 2.2 engine provides more usuable torque down low and peak power is reached quicker than the 2.0 version, and the cosmetic differences, i like

s2king
27-09-2005, 08:44 PM
i would say there is enough change in the new model to warant a difference between the new and old s2k

the 2.2 engine provides more usuable torque down low and peak power is reached quicker than the 2.0 version, and the cosmetic differences, i like

There is no 2.2L engine in the new one mate. I assume we talking about AUS model purchasing not US. The aussi one is same engine as the old s2k.
And the US 2.2L engine anyway doesnt have the 9000rpm redline, they get a lil more torque but the power is the same.

blusir2
27-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Yes but it's expensive

Wind deflector is on all models so i dunno what ur talking about?

mate the wind deflector is an option??? i saw sum aftermarket ones and they are larger... they go up higher right up to the top of the seat... i dun own an S2K yet so i was wondering??? how much is expensive for the lexan window anywayz??? i wouldnt mind changing it coz the plastic vinyl is crap...

s2king
27-09-2005, 10:41 PM
mate the wind deflector is an option??? i saw sum aftermarket ones and they are larger... they go up higher right up to the top of the seat... i dun own an S2K yet so i was wondering??? how much is expensive for the lexan window anywayz??? i wouldnt mind changing it coz the plastic vinyl is crap...

The glass window you cant just change, you need to buy the whole conversion. Costs around $3000installed from honda and comes with the motor and everything you need.

blusir2
27-09-2005, 11:24 PM
well at least i know i can do it... i will just get the parts at trade price and do it myself.. i just needed to know if it worked..??

thanx mate..thats a big saving than buying a 2002 model upwards..

panda
28-09-2005, 11:51 AM
There is no 2.2L engine in the new one mate. I assume we talking about AUS model purchasing not US. The aussi one is same engine as the old s2k.
And the US 2.2L engine anyway doesnt have the 9000rpm redline, they get a lil more torque but the power is the same.

oops i was refering to the japan spec

i know that both 2.2 and 2.0 have the same peak power (to everyones dispointment) but the 2.2 reaches peak at less rpm's than the 2.0

IRI
28-09-2005, 12:15 PM

i know that both 2.2 and 2.0 have the same peak power (to everyones dispointment) but the 2.2 reaches peak at less rpm's than the 2.0

Japan is also 2.0L, US is the only market that uses a 2.2L engine.

s2king
28-09-2005, 02:46 PM

IRI is correct. AUS and JAP both get the "good" 2.0L engines.

panda
28-09-2005, 06:10 PM
oops again lol :o , just confirmed with a friend who imported a 05 model recently and jdm 2.0l right :thumbsup:

s2king
28-09-2005, 07:33 PM
oops again lol :o , just confirmed with a friend who imported a 05 model recently and jdm 2.0l right :thumbsup:

Confirming with me would have resulted in the same outcome :)

panda
29-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Confirming with me would have resulted in the same outcome :)

yes indeed, just noticed you own a 05 yourself, nice :D

blusir2
29-09-2005, 10:19 PM
im lookin at a S2K this weekend?? should i be lookin out for anything ??? 2000 model... wish i could afford a 05 model.. dang... u guys are loaded...

s2king
29-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Just make sure it was looked after by making sure it has books with all services filled in. And go for a drive, go hard at it, vtec it because it might drive well, you gota push the car to find out if the car is in good condition.

Ohh yeah and I almost forgot dude, make sure it sais Honda S2000 on the car :)

blusir2
29-09-2005, 11:34 PM
hahahaha... uuummm yeh.... im not concerned about the mechancis.. i work at TODA Racing... but im not familar with that car at all except with Garry's one which had the turbo engine Adrian built for it... im more worried about small things like the seats and the wearing of the leather.... things like that??

thanx for ur help

30-09-2005, 04:07 PM
hahahaha... uuummm yeh.... im not concerned about the mechancis.. i work at TODA Racing... but im not familar with that car at all except with Garry's one which had the turbo engine Adrian built for it... im more worried about small things like the seats and the wearing of the leather.... things like that??

thanx for ur help

s2k seats are known to wear and tear...jus make sure the side bolsters arnt in too bad condition. Its a good thing if ur a mechanic and know how to pull ur motor apart but id still be weary about the mechanics are s2k parts are expensive...

blusir2
01-10-2005, 12:19 AM
mate... are any honda parts cheap??? then on top of that also add into the equation that u got the second most expensive honda ever made and that answers ur question...

i mean even though i get trade price for all parts its still expensive to me...

cant get away from it though if u love honda....

s2king
01-10-2005, 11:56 AM
mate... are any honda parts cheap??? then on top of that also add into the equation that u got the second most expensive honda ever made and that answers ur question...

i mean even though i get trade price for all parts its still expensive to me...

cant get away from it though if u love honda....

Why would you want to buy original Honda parts anyway? They are so much more expencive than better and more quality aftermarket parts.

blusir2
13-10-2005, 01:44 PM
hey david... i just got one too mate... sold my EG6.. but i only got the 2000 model and it doesnt have the rear glass window.. i was lookin into the glass window... its very very small man... so i opted for a really really good blk/ red interior S2K with full options.. i got it with c-west sideskirts and all the factory options except the wind deflector... u'll love it when u get urs... they are a sheer pleasure machine... the rear plastic vinyl isnt too bad as long as u get one that is clear and u keep good care of it.. my one is immaculate as the guy before was really good with up keep... good luck in ur search mate..

Jason
TODA Racing Australia

DC5R8
14-10-2005, 10:02 PM
whats ur budget mate?

chop_sticks
29-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm also looking at buying a s2k before summer. I just sold my Euro Accord, so my budget is pretty tight. Would i be able to pick up an s2k for $32k? I'm not too worried about on road costs as dad will cover that.

CRX_stocky
29-10-2005, 02:18 PM
spend a bit more an get this one http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2633189&current_rec=1&used_rec=15&total_rec=45&sort_type=&total_rec=45&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=2621&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

blusir2
30-10-2005, 03:01 AM
whats ur budget mate?
no budget really but more like i want the tyre that is best for the car...

dun have mych experience with the S2K...

civics and integras... plenty... S2K is new territory for me..

Jason
TODA Racing

air23box
30-10-2005, 06:08 PM
give RACV a call....they can do pre purchase check for you mate...

blusir2
30-10-2005, 07:37 PM
spend a bit more an get this one http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2633189&current_rec=1&used_rec=15&total_rec=45&sort_type=&total_rec=45&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=2621&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

man that one looks like a good deal... i bought mine for $38000 and it has no where near as many mods...

should have a look at it... seems quite nice..

air23box
30-10-2005, 11:58 PM
sure that will save you lots of $$ to mod it......but just wondering why is the guys selling it.......beside if he finish school and going back.......but worth to have a look and you may pick up a nice one......good luck bro....cheers

Muz
14-11-2005, 09:29 AM
can u change the convert top on the older models to the glass ones???

Yes you can. The entire top must be replaced.

i am lookin to buy a S2K but wouldnt wanna spend the money on a 2002 one...too much money for me?? and how does the wind deflector fit?? thru that plastic on the storage compartment?? does it mean i gotta drill holes thru it??

Yes. There are two spots that are premarked by the factory on the underside of the upper glovebox lid where the aeroscreen is to be attached. On earlier models you simply drilled the holes through from underneath. On newer models the aeroscreen is standard equippment. It's a dead easy install.

There are a number of other items that also use the same holes such as the taller aftermarket aeroscreens and camera mounts.

CRXONE
14-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Apparently the early models 99,2000,2001 ?? have weaker diff's, noticable shift ratio and poorer suspension.

Is this correct??

I'm looking for a Gunmetal S2000 for around 35 grand!

I'm located in Melbourne. :thumbsup:

Mark

Snoop_gee
14-11-2005, 12:40 PM

Mark

sure sure :p

DKS51R
14-11-2005, 02:36 PM
http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=1301618039

and another one

http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=1484699320

sure sure :p

Muz
15-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Apparently the early models 99,2000,2001 ?? have weaker diff's, noticable shift ratio and poorer suspension.

Is this correct??

Mark

The suspension was softened up a bit on later model cars. I wouldn't call it 'poorer' on the earlier models by any stretch of the imagination. It is quite simply firmer (a preferable attribute for some). If you want a car with a softer ride then geneally speaking there is always some slight trade-off in the handling department.

I'm not aware of any noticeable differences in driving feel between year models as far as gear ratios go but you might check s2ki.com for more info on this. As far as redline goes the newer cars redline at 8,300 rpm while the earlier models redline at 9000 rpm.

As far as the diff goes I can't see any problems with them. The few people that have problems with their diffs generally tend to be excessively hard on the car. High rev clutch dumps and so on can damage the diff in almost any car.

8100rpm
19-12-2005, 09:47 PM
fark! u guys r so lucky!!!!!! iam so jealous!!!!!!!! i will have to buy an s2000 when i am older and have more money! !

Xplodin
20-05-2006, 10:32 AM
guys just a question.

i got told that the earlier model were drinking oil. is this true? Should i look out for anything in the earlier models?

ROLLED
20-05-2006, 12:20 PM
yep they burn oil i believe, i think its from a poor sump design that excessivly allows oil to burn during fast cornering. Then again i could be re-quoting someone elses bs. but yeah it definately needs to have its oil checked, Honda recommended about once every 2nd tank of petrol...i think thats excessive though. I bought a 5 litres worth of mobile1, in the 2 months i've had the car i used about 700-800mls or so.

hethro87
20-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Just do all the basics man.

Get it checked out by REVS, get your mechanic to check it out - check for panel damage - any mods make sure you know what it is and who did it, and if it looks dodgy run for the hills man.

Hethro

blusir2
20-05-2006, 02:25 PM
guys just a question.

i got told that the earlier model were drinking oil. is this true? Should i look out for anything in the earlier models?

mate it burns oil hard core..

i got a 2000 model.. i changed the oil and in about 5000kms it was all gone to the point of oil light coming on when i started to corner a bit hard or when i braked heavily.. but gettin a better sump will help.. i got a mugen sump coming on its way.. will aid in the situation... no biggy though.. just check oil every now and then... like when ur fillin up... but do check coz the F20C is definately not an engine that likes to be starved of oil.. especially when ur revving it to 9000rpm..

Jason
TODA Racing Australia

Xplodin
20-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for that informative post Jason. Can you keep us up to date with the mugen Sump and tell us how it goes. Cos i'm intrested in getting the car and starting to look into one at the moment but not ready to spend the $10-15K's extra for the next gen model. I dont want to get a model thats chewing up oil like that.

I spoz i should as if this damages the engine in any way?

20-05-2006, 10:22 PM
mate it burns oil hard core..

i got a 2000 model.. i changed the oil and in about 5000kms it was all gone to the point of oil light coming on when i started to corner a bit hard or when i braked heavily.. but gettin a better sump will help.. i got a mugen sump coming on its way.. will aid in the situation... no biggy though.. just check oil every now and then... like when ur fillin up... but do check coz the F20C is definately not an engine that likes to be starved of oil.. especially when ur revving it to 9000rpm..

Jason
TODA Racing Australia

hmm not sure whats going on with your s2k but mine which was a 1999 model was really good with oil consumption. Hardly consumed any at all and i drive my s2k quite hard. Even on occasions of where it was taken to the track the oil levels did not drop.

blusir2
23-05-2006, 04:28 PM
yeh ur right "fly" there is sumthin wrong with it... it shouldnt burn that much oil.. depends on ur oil viscosity as well.. also i might have a leak i havent found yet... im servicing it pretty soon when i put the new parts on the car.. i'll give it a good check and update u guys on wat was the prob... i might find a seal which is gettin dry or cracked.. cant speak for all cars coz every car has a diff history and been driven differently too..

but the baffled sump will help...

cheers guys..

Jason
TODA Racing Australia

Xplodin
24-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah i would be great if you can let us know how it goes and all. I'm pretty intrested in gettin one but just dont wanna take the risk of gettin a lemon.

ROLLED
24-05-2006, 11:03 PM
my was burning oil when i first got it, but now it doesn't seem to burn any? last two times i checked it cold and it was at the top on the dip stick!

blusir2
26-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah i would be great if you can let us know how it goes and all. I'm pretty intrested in gettin one but just dont wanna take the risk of gettin a lemon.

well just do the necessary checks like revs and NRMA. NRMA will check the car out for u mecahnically and body wise.. they use a laser nowdays to detect the thickness of paint so u know if it has been resprayed hence whether its been in an accident.. apart from that check the leather seats especially the drivers one.. thats a good indication of how the owner was with the car.. it normally is worn near the edge on the entry side due to moving in and out of the car... but a good owner will try not to slide onto it and ruin it.. also ask if they have had the honda service buletins carried out on the car.. check it with the service history.. there are a few flaws with the older S2K's.. like clutch buzz and roof mounts that come lose due to wear..

hope everything goes well for u mate..

Jason
TODA Racing Australia

Xplodin
14-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Well its back to that time of year again and i'm looking out for an s2000. I'd have to get my mechanic to look at one for me. I just want to know if there is any major problems i should be lookin out for. Like the one today had a leak in the Clutch master Cylinder. Also Clutch Shuttering in 3rd and 4th gear. Body looks really good and Awsum. Cars also been tracked so i'm worried about that too.

14-03-2007, 08:40 PM
depending on age and kms. id consider such wear and tear factors as LSD, timing chain tensioner and various suspension components. The clutch shuddering does not sound promising as anything to do with the clutch means you would have to pull it apart which could cost upwards of 1k depending on who you know.

Daniel Muratore
16-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Anyone who's serious about buying a car in NSW should speak to Sydney Vehicle Check, they are so much more thorough than anyone else, they inspected a few for me before i actually purchased, and ended up saving me from disaster.

Blitzen
07-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm looking for low k's, 03+ black, with red leather. Anything in particular I should look out for ?

roll cage, definatly a roll cage - at least a better one to replace the stock

WhiteAP1
08-12-2007, 01:10 AM
If for some reason u do flip the thing, the windscreen will act as more of a roll bar/imapct bar than those two loops behind the passengers seats. IMO roll cage is probably the last on a long list of things that need improving.

Blitzen
09-12-2007, 10:23 PM
If for some reason u do flip the thing, the windscreen will act as more of a roll bar/imapct bar than those two loops behind the passengers seats. IMO roll cage is probably the last on a long list of things that need improving.

in my opinion, not

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J0FrSdkHOh4

I take MX5's are lighter than S2000's, windscreens are nothing, mainly glass and on the car, at an angle, roll it, simply crushes it, roll cage please

good thing the S2000 has a roll bar behind occupants heads, but they're too short, again, look for one with better roll bar please, at least save up for one

ludecrs
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
you obviously havent seen some s2000 crash pics.

WhiteAP1
15-12-2007, 02:13 AM
lol thats right. Most ppl who do get cages do it for looks, and then there's the %1 who actually require it to compete in a certain race category. The miata and the s2000 are TOTALY different cars. Ive had the car for 4 years now, pushed in pretty much every condition. I've never felt the need for a cage nor has any other owner that ive spoken with.

If anything change the plastic window, replace your CV's and strengthen your diff. Even if u dont do any of these the car will still be fine.

Andw0o
15-12-2007, 04:27 AM
so where are all the black s2000s hiding? cant seem to find any for sale under 40k -_-" there was one a few months ago!
black, red interior, 40,xxx kms and only 32k went up sat night, sold by monday hahahaah
soo bugging for a black one, but at this rate might have to settle for red. cant find any blue ones either. any one know where i can find a black s2k with low kms under 40k? lol

ludecrs
15-12-2007, 09:30 AM
You're buying a 2nd hand car. Colour should be the last of your concerns.

Andw0o
15-12-2007, 09:47 PM
aahahahah touche`

still want a black one though =[

WhiteAP1
16-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I went and had a look at a blue MY00 yesterday for a mate, 130,000km $27,000

Andw0o
17-12-2007, 08:43 AM
how did it drive? having 130,000kms
ive seen that one in carsales, plates xs2000 right?

how was it? kinda would concern me; 130,000 with a engine that can rev to 9000.

WhiteAP1
19-12-2007, 02:55 AM
I drove it and it was in damn good condition! Even on cold start it sounded great. Gear box was still slick, new roof (plastic) and no diff wine.No CV clunking either.The body needs some decent work but nothing that cant be fixed. Needs new tyres all round. Full service history. Off the bat it looks pretty good, but who knows down the road. In the end you get what u pay for. If this guy wasnt in a huge rush he could get $30K easy. Not a bad pick up for only $27,000.

Andw0o
19-12-2007, 04:28 AM
wow nice, wouldnt expect that from a car with taht many kms, specially with the nature of this car, revving to 9000revs. and the cv joints and what not.

ngc2359
19-12-2007, 10:23 PM
so where are all the black s2000s hiding? cant seem to find any for sale under 40k -_-" there was one a few months ago!
black, red interior, 40,xxx kms and only 32k went up sat night, sold by monday hahahaah
soo bugging for a black one, but at this rate might have to settle for red. cant find any blue ones either. any one know where i can find a black s2k with low kms under 40k? lol

40,000km for $32k?? that must have been a good deal. what is the market value for 2001 s2000 with about 60,000km?

ludecrs
19-12-2007, 11:20 PM
33-36k

Andw0o
20-12-2007, 12:29 AM
40,000km for $32k?? that must have been a good deal. what is the market value for 2001 s2000 with about 60,000km?

yeh it was a total steal, wish i had my finances inorder at that time.