PDA

View Full Version : Removing spare wheel on CRV...

DOSHBTEK
16-09-2005, 02:22 AM
Hi guys I'm thinking of removing my spare wheel on my crv to save petrol but I want to remove the metal bit that sticks out as well. How do i remove it? Because its held in place by 4 rounded flat screw things that I suspect you'd have to remove from the inside of the boot door. are you supposed to remove the plastic bit and unscrew from the inside? Help me out guys....

slidetaker
16-09-2005, 03:42 PM
yes u will have to disassemble the whole rear end door....it is impossible to reach those screws from the Tools compartment from the inside of the door....

nexace
16-09-2005, 04:05 PM
You might want to double check to make sure if driving without a spare tyre is legal or not. It's not something that is that noticeable with other cars but because the wheel is on the outside, better to be safe than sorry. :thumbsup:

bigdongers
16-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Its illegal to drive with no spare unless you have run flats I think.

That being said, if you remove the spare and the metal mount, you will be left with holes in the door. Someone in the US did this and had to get the rear door welded and the holes covered.

DOSHBTEK
16-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Crikey... that would be a bother having holes in the back of ur car. Anybody have any other ingenius ways to save petrol on a CRV? I cant even get 100KM out of $15 nowadays.

fudge04au
18-09-2005, 06:38 AM
Never had any probs with the mileage on my cr-v about 550 on a full tank. But my mechanic is magic!

Chi
18-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Never had any probs with the mileage on my cr-v about 550 on a full tank. But my mechanic is magic!

Did he loosen ur throttle cable?

fudge04au
18-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Did he loosen ur throttle cable?
Probably, but i drive like a granny anyway! :)

DOSHBTEK
18-09-2005, 02:50 PM
what does loosening your throttle cable do?

fudge04au
19-09-2005, 01:44 AM
what does loosening your throttle cable do?
Dude i think CHI was being funny, loosening your throttle cable could yield no positive results! :)
You'de save alotta petrol hurtling down the highway at 10km/H with a loose throttle cable, but itd be crap!

Keepleft
23-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Use a lighter foot, drop non required items from your weekly budget - cigarettes, womens magazines (which you will probably be killed for doing), and whatever else you can think of.

Keep the unit tuned.

Despite the $155 CPL price I do use minimum 95 Octane and use synthetic oil.

Walk more.....

Maybe convert to LPG is ure a high distance driver. Note LPG by 2008 is to be taxed an additional 12CPL capped, still cheap!

Anyone done an LPG convernsion or had one carried out on a CRV?

Pogi
24-09-2005, 12:34 AM
to save on fuel:

- have a very light foot
- keep the revs under 2k, 3k at most

can't really save much more on fuel if you do lots of city driving

Campbell
13-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Leaving off the spare wheel, and bracket, wouldn't even give you a 5% improvement. (Come on, some one prove me wrong.) So would that be worth it?

One method for getting better economy I heard of was fitting a much stronger throttle return spring. With drive by wire throttles you'd need to fit that to the pedal and not the butterfly.

Take those tyre pressures up to the mid to high 30's (psi) (check tyre wear to find optimum pressure though) And get that wheel alignment checked and spot on.

It varies from state to state on the legality of driving without a spare. But if you upset Mr Plod on a bad day he may issue a vehicle defect notice for it (original equipment for roadworthy must always be present and servicable. (But who checks?))