PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] problems with lowering - need some help

chop_sticks
16-09-2005, 02:06 PM
I went to four places today and they said they wouldnt fit springs for me cause of my wheels. So i decided that ill fit them myself. Ive chosen King Springs Super Lows to use in my car. I havent bought the set of springs yet because i wanted to ask some people on the forum how the ride is and how much it lowers the car.

They go they wont fit the springs cause of the tyres sticking 2inchs outside the guard.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~llai1/mypic51.jpg

Now since ive already had the guards rolled is there a kit that has add on flares or something so my rims sit inside the guard or am i just going to have to buy new rims. I really dont want to cause the rims i got on suit the car.

Thanks for the help.

baboo
16-09-2005, 02:16 PM
best bet is to re-file your rims. Get them to the correct offsets.

PNR888
16-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Mate, There must be a reason why, not 1, but 4 shops wont fit lowing springs for you..

from the pic you post on. The wheel sticks out by miles.. I think it is illegal that way to start with. And once you lower your car, there is no way those wheel/tyre can be tucked inside the guard, not to mention about turning steering wheel.

Add on flares will not help anything as the cause the problem is wheel sitting too far out... The Offset of your rims is way off.. (OEM = +55, +45 to +48 will fit nicely just inside the guard...

So I think if you want to lower the car, the only option is get a set of new rims with right offset. unless you want to camber the wheels to extreme.. but I doubt if it will work..

chop_sticks
16-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Hmmmm well with the rear wheels already sitting on a camber. i was thinking of getting flares so it'd look like it wouldnt stick out. The offset i have is +38. Its 19x9.5 on the rear and 19x8.5 on the front.

Id really love to keep the rims on the car, thats why im asking if there was any kit available that has flares for the euro.

yfin
16-09-2005, 02:44 PM
The offset i have is +38. Its 19x9.5 on the rear and 19x8.5 on the front. .

Those specs are a totally wrong size for the Euro. Even if you refile the rims to change the offset - 9.5" on the rear is just huge. I can't see those fitting properly.

Why not sell the rims and get some 18" or 19" in the right width? It'll be better in the long run - especially for your suspension arms, wheel bearings, etc.

Oh - and the handling and performance will be better compared to your 30kg rims. :p

chop_sticks
16-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Those specs are a totally wrong size for the Euro. Even if you refile the rims to change the offset - 9.5" on the rear is just huge. I can't see those fitting properly.

Why not sell the rims and get some 18" or 19" in the right width? It'll be better in the long run - especially for your suspension arms, wheel bearings, etc.

Oh - and the handling and performance will be better compared to your 30kg rims. :p

Yeha i suppose so. The only problem is that these rims have a mercedes offset. And to get these rims to fit i had the hubs changed. So i got Mercedes hubs, slotted discs and calipers. Ill have a hard time sourcing rims that fit.

I was thinking of getting guards like KINTO but thats a bit too much for me. I just want it to sit inside the guard without too much hassle.

BiLL|z0r
16-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you got yourself between a rock and a hard place. If I were you I wouldn't bother lowering it & save the $$$ altogether. How about a shot from the side to see how high it rides? Springs with only a 1" drop might be a better option. If you want super lows, you're going to have to get diff wheels or a serious wheel arch kit. Makes you gotta think that because you had to go to all the trouble to begin with to put the wheels on that maybe they didn't fit for a reason.

yfin
16-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Yeha i suppose so. The only problem is that these rims have a mercedes offset. And to get these rims to fit i had the hubs changed. So i got Mercedes hubs, slotted discs and calipers. Ill have a hard time sourcing rims that fit.

I was thinking of getting guards like KINTO but thats a bit too much for me. I just want it to sit inside the guard without too much hassle.

Did you sort out whether your ABS is working after these changes? As nice as the rims may be I would sell them (and put the stock hubs back on) to get ABS working.

The other problem is insurance - what do you plan to do if you stack the car? Insurance assesors are fairly cluey. The rims are totally wrong size for the vehicle and I am fairly sure you can't change stud pattern in Victoria (Merc isn't 5x114 is it?). Just too risky IMO - I don't want to see you lose the lot in a crash - the car is too nice to lose what you paid for it.

Tobster
16-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I know rules vary from state to state, but I would suggest that a 9.5 inch rim is going to be illegal anyway. On average isn't it no more than 1 inch wider and 2 inches taller than came standard on the car?

Plus, I'm sorry, but who needs 9.5 inch wide rims on a NA front wheel drive 4 cylinder? You must like buying tyres...

BLKEM1
16-09-2005, 05:31 PM
I know rules vary from state to state, but I would suggest that a 9.5 inch rim is going to be illegal anyway. On average isn't it no more than 1 inch wider and 2 inches taller than came standard on the car?

Plus, I'm sorry, but who needs 9.5 inch wide rims on a NA front wheel drive 4 cylinder? You must like buying tyres...

He must feels like it... :D

_CiVIC_
16-09-2005, 08:21 PM
can someone explain what that picture is of please?? lol

PNR888
16-09-2005, 10:20 PM
can someone explain what that picture is of please?? lol

It is the top view (bird eye view) of front guard with ront tyre protrude out of the front guard due to wide tyre and wrong offset.

Hope this answer your q

chop_sticks
16-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Did you sort out whether your ABS is working after these changes? As nice as the rims may be I would sell them (and put the stock hubs back on) to get ABS working.

The other problem is insurance - what do you plan to do if you stack the car? Insurance assesors are fairly cluey. The rims are totally wrong size for the vehicle and I am fairly sure you can't change stud pattern in Victoria (Merc isn't 5x114 is it?). Just too risky IMO - I don't want to see you lose the lot in a crash - the car is too nice to lose what you paid for it.

Yeah the abs is working. Honda said the computer isnt recognising the hub or something i didnt really pay attention. But at least i know it works (thank god!) I told the insurance already about it. Dont ask how much insurance is cause its just tooooo much lol. My age doesnt help either.

chop_sticks
16-09-2005, 11:05 PM

Lol no i dont like buying tyres but i dont drive my car that much anyways. So its all good :D

yfin
16-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah the abs is working. Honda said the computer isnt recognising the hub or something i didnt really pay attention. But at least i know it works (thank god!) I told the insurance already about it. Dont ask how much insurance is cause its just tooooo much lol. My age doesnt help either.

My question was more about whether the set up is kosher. Your insurance company may know about your rims, etc - but when it comes to paying the claim - they always assume the mods you notify them are lawful. If they are not lawful - you are looking at potential issues come payola time.

It is worth looking at this link - maybe see if you can get one of the approval certificates for your mods. But with 9.5" rims, wheels protruding past the guards, and a different stud pattern it may be difficult to say the least:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%208.pdf

Chris_F
17-09-2005, 12:32 PM
personally i think you should cut your losses, sell the rims and get something more suited to the car. They may look good but by the sounds of it they are causing you more trouble than they are worth.