PDA

View Full Version : I want to get a momo steering wheel but will i pass rego?

kraftycuts
27-02-2004, 03:08 PM
hey guys long time no see... i crashed my teg just bout a month ago... and its been hell looking for parts and stuff... nothing too bad but i need to get it back on the road as soon as possible ... bad news though my airbags both deployed and its costing me a bunch to fix...

here's the problem... i was thinking of replacing the stock steering wheel with a momo steering wheel which will cost less to replace rather than fix the airbag... but the worry is will i pass rego if i do this.????

dudes help me on this man kinda wanting my car back :(

McChook
27-02-2004, 03:19 PM
If it came with an airbag, don't try it
Unless you visit an engineer and get it engineered, it is illegal. I am not even sure it an engineers certif will cover you. Momo Wheels are ADR'ed, so it would probably be ok. EC's cost $29 normally, but I would have a chat to someone first

kraftycuts
27-02-2004, 03:29 PM
ADR'ed what does this mean???
sorry

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 03:32 PM
ADR = australian design rules

ADRed ... means it meets these rules and regulations

kraftycuts
27-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Unless you visit an engineer and get it engineered, it is illegal. I am not even sure it an engineers certif will cover you. Momo Wheels are ADR'ed, so it would probably be ok. EC's cost $29 normally, but I would have a chat to someone first

ok my steering wheel did come with an airbag... so are you saying that i shouldnt do it ... you said that momo steering wheels are ADR'ed ... so does that mean i can do it???

confused :?: dude. and what are EC's ???

sorry.

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 03:43 PM
EC - engineering certificate (given out by someone who can verify that your 'mod' meets ADR (which are Australian Design Rules)

Basically, you are getting a EC because you want to make sure you don't get a defect and then have to go to the hassle of rippin out your mods (which would be depressing too)

joneblaze
27-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey man,

u crashed your vtir?? How badly? Everyone ok?
Basically the ADR/RTA states that if you have a car which comes with an airbag equipped steering wheel from the factory, it's illegal to change or "downgrade" to one without airbags (which is pretty fair, cos life is worth more than money/looks/etc).

I believe Momo actually make a steering wheel equipped with airbags, you might want to chase that up? It probably costs a hell of alot, and will be a hassle to get installed etc?
If the only reason that you're thinking bout downgrading you and your car to airbagless steering wheel is because of the cost involved, i'd strongly suggest you save up or borrow the money and get it reset and done right. Why would you possibly not want an airbag? IMO it's a pretty nifty safety feature that's worth the money!

hope that helps man...

jon.

(btw, its royce right? with blackcurrant dc2?)

McChook
27-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Yeah, Jon is right - air bags save lives, and in this case, did your air bafg save your life - or not get you any more injurred??

I am kind of in this position, but removing an airbag that hasn't blown is dangerous - I watched a mate try to take his airbag out of his civic and he broke his arm - BADLY. So I won't be doing that.

However, he did put on his MOMO wheel and hasn;t had any problems. Some cars have them as options remember (or onHigher spec models, etc), so I am not sure how thery can prove your car had one (unless you have a passenger side one, that is an obvious one). You might be OK, but remember, you have used it once, what happens if you need it again and it isn;t there....

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 04:46 PM
it is possible to upgarde your steering wheel to a nicer (say Momo) one ...
and still be legal and have a airbag too? is there such a thing?

A'PEXi
27-02-2004, 04:52 PM
yep! true, momo do have a steering wheel which can be equipped with an airbag.

joneblaze
27-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey man,

Basically the ADR/RTA states that if you have a car which comes with an airbag equipped steering wheel from the factory, it's illegal to change or "downgrade" to one without airbags (which is pretty fair, cos life is worth more than money/looks/etc).

I believe Momo actually make a steering wheel equipped with airbags, you might want to chase that up? It probably costs a hell of alot, and will be a hassle to get installed etc?
If the only reason that you're thinking bout downgrading you and your car to airbagless steering wheel is because of the cost involved, i'd strongly suggest you save up or borrow the money and get it reset and done right. Why would you possibly not want an airbag? IMO it's a pretty nifty safety feature that's worth the money!

hope that helps man...

jon.

:roll: why is it ppl don't bother to read others posts?

McChook
27-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey man,

hope that helps man...

jon.

:roll: why is it ppl don't bother to read others posts?

Its worse when that person is the author of the question....

joneblaze
27-02-2004, 06:26 PM
it is possible to upgarde your steering wheel to a nicer (say Momo) one ...
and still be legal and have a airbag too? is there such a thing?

:roll:

(sorry for spamming mods. just dont like it when i might be wrong. :))

eknine
27-02-2004, 06:28 PM
actually every thing is legal if you don't get caught...sorry just whoring<laffz>

just try make ur mod looks safe rather than dangerous or defective<laffz>

i.e be a pocket rocket rather than a cop magnet ;)

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 07:53 PM
actually every thing is legal if you don't get caught...

erm .... oooookay .... :? :roll:

IntegraGSi
27-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Errr, just a note for anybody interested in removing the airbags from their car. My Helms manual says to disconnect the battery from the car and wait five minutes, then remove the SRS main fuse BEFORE touching the airbag...

After doing that and waiting, the airbag isn't going to blow up in your face if you try to remove it, also remember to connect the yellow shorting connector into the airbag plug.

McChook
27-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Errr, just a note for anybody interested in removing the airbags from their car. My Helms manual says to disconnect the battery from the car and wait five minutes, then remove the SRS main fuse BEFORE touching the airbag...

After doing that and waiting, the airbag isn't going to blow up in your face if you try to remove it, also remember to connect the yellow shorting connector into the airbag plug.

Too late for me mate now.....

kraftycuts
01-03-2004, 08:05 PM
yeah jon its royce here...

the only reason why i was gonna downgrade is because the airbag did deploy and i dont want to spend $1200 replacing it. rather get a momo steering, for bouts $500
big problems and the thing is i got a passenger side airbag which means that i wont be able to bluff my way out..

hmmms dont know what to do

joneblaze
01-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Won't insurance cover it? And won't the excess be less than $1200 including the rest of the car repair costs? Or is there something stopping you, like increased premium/NCB etc?

kraftycuts
02-03-2004, 08:44 AM
nah man no insurance just third party property dued...

[[d a n n y]]
02-03-2004, 09:43 AM
royce WTF when did this happen?

kraftycuts
02-03-2004, 04:45 PM
hey danny ...

yeah happened bout 3 weeks ago .... sucks real bad huh.... but nearly got all the parts... just takin along time to locate the parts you know.

and was thinking bout doin some mods but no dosh man.

tanghy
02-03-2004, 05:06 PM
get a itr momo srs wheel
it's MOMO and it's airbag equipped

kraftycuts
03-03-2004, 11:27 PM
hey tanghy ... where do i get a itr momo srs wheel ???.. if you know anyone selling i'll buy serious