PDA

View Full Version : EK what?

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 03:24 PM
sorry if this sounds stupid :oops: ... but can any of you tell me what EK model my car is? (I hear people say it's EK4, then EK9, amongst other things) :?

btw it's a 1999 Civic VTi-R Coupe (with EM1 on the chassis and a B16A2 engine)

Civic Type R
27-02-2004, 03:29 PM
u just answered ur own question.
EM1 !!!

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 03:30 PM
ok so it's not an EK at all?!?!?

it's an EM1? others please confirm :D

I need this cause when I tell people what model car I have to order parts and stuff :roll:

[[d a n n y]]
27-02-2004, 03:56 PM
EM1

EK coupe

EK9 is the civic Type-R

and the EK4 is the civic VTiR hatch

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 03:59 PM
so I say to people I got an EM1 (EK Coupe). Right?

Oh ... and would parts (say suspension) for an EK9 fit my car? (or an EK4)

civex98
27-02-2004, 04:13 PM
get parts to fit an EK4.
same thing.
setup on a EK9 is different.

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 04:14 PM
ok ... but someone said EK4 is the hatch and I got the coupe ...

so the parts are inter-compatible??

eknine
27-02-2004, 04:20 PM
u just answered ur own question.
EM1 !!!

his right ..i mean adam(CTR)....civic si in america.

if you want to buy parts you'd better off trying for ek4 parts (however pls do some research when buying from jap, some have fittings problem..although they are still technicaly an ek)....however, the americans made alot of aftermarkets to suit ur car...best of both worlds <laffz>

one of the common errors or mistake when looking for hood for your car- if you buy jap you have to quote/choose face-lifted ek9, coz the dimension is a lil wider compared to prefaced lift ek9(pre face lift ek9= model prior to 99)....in short if you are confused....if you drive a civic ek HB you order hood from ek4, if you drive civic ek coupe you order hood from facelifted ek9....

as for most other parts , the ek4 is a safer bet - just do a lil research when buying<arrrgh blame the americans>

now i'm confused<laffz>

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 04:22 PM
yeah but if I am ordering suspension ... I only see EK4 and EK9 listed ... and I just want it to fit nice ....

what do I do???!???? :(

eknine
27-02-2004, 04:29 PM
what suspension brand:)

and ordering from who or where?

the japs or the americans?

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Tein (Jap) for now

okay so you sound like I should say one thing to the US guys and another to Japs ...

please tell me more! :D

eknine
27-02-2004, 04:38 PM
just visit the US tein site..... look for the model of the coilover you are buying, then under application guide availibities for cars
-> check under civic si...

it best you see it for urself, nothing beats getting the info and getting it right urself:) you don't need me to give you the tein site addy right :roll:

edit: let me help you

http://www.tein.co.jp/indexe.html

eknine
27-02-2004, 04:44 PM
until you are buying hood then check back with me again....else we will be clouded together<kekekeke>

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 04:45 PM
yeah well the US site says one model for my car ... and the Jap says another

so does this mean that I can only buy from US ?? :(

eknine
27-02-2004, 04:46 PM
show me ur links:)

or tell me the model...

btw who are you ordering from....i hope is thru the tein distributor in Aust...coz this is his job to clarified...you do know that buying from unauthorised dealers can mean that your "seller" can be put out of business or face up to liabilities, coz they are not legally registered for business and they are not the legal representatives....anyway thats beside the point, buy you most likely void all the warranties anyway when buying from non-authorised dealers<kekekekekek> and you give up your rights as a rightful customer....

forget i ask if you are not buying from the local distributor...

just solve ur problem first and if you have problem after using and that ....that you have to worm ur way around<laffz>

A'PEXi
27-02-2004, 04:46 PM
i think the ek4 should fit? your coupe is a vtir... the ek4 refers to the vtir hatch if im correct, but they should share the same components, just a different body shape.

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 04:54 PM
dunno apexi hence me askin ;)

eknine ...

From US Site: http://www.tein.com/honda.html

HONDA Civic EM1/EJ6/7/8 96-00 SS-P Now In Development 8/448 SY080-01225 4/224SY040-01225 P/U
(this one is the Super Street coilovers and the upgraded pillowball uppermounts... exactly what I want)
Anyway this one does NOT have a product number because the site hasnt been updated yet (I know the SS with Pillowballs is out I asked someone over there)

But ... the kit WITHOUT the pillow balls, product number is : DSH98-KUSS2

Now ..... going across to Japan

From Jap Site: http://www.tein.co.jp/ssdamp2h.html

I cant even find one for a EK4 or EM1 ... only EK9 ... :S

hence my confusion and my questions :)

eknine
27-02-2004, 04:55 PM
i think the ek4 should fit? your coupe is a vtir... the ek4 refers to the vtir hatch if im correct, but they should share the same components, just a different body shape.

technically speaking yes...but if i stand out as a friend opinion, i rather have it check out throughly....because if i'm saying he is buying from an unauthorised dealer...then if it doesn't fit he has to go thru that dreadful process... and it good to be certain rather than be just sure:)

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 04:57 PM
yeah man I am excited about gettin the kit but I dont want it all to arrive only to find out I need to get some hacksaw out :?

I'd prefer for it all to go in first time right ...

I know the US ones fit perfect cause the guys from the US site told me and showed me pics

however I prefer to get it from Japan only cause it's closer and therefore cheaper ...

dunno... help plz :D

FERIO97
27-02-2004, 04:57 PM
watabout my 97ferio with B16 in it wat will b d code??? hihihihihi...

eknine
27-02-2004, 05:07 PM
i see ur problem.....

i'm not telling what you shld do...this is what i will do.

1) write to tein US, doin't tell them u are not from US, just say that u are confused over choosing the set because the jap site list this and their site list this...quote ur car as civic si and ask them to maybe educate u the difference.....blah blah

2) concurrently, check with the local distributor , ask for price..like a normal customer...if he says that ithas to be improted..acts like you will have a dep pocket, let them do the dirty work.

then see how its goes...although my wild guess goes with the jap...but remember the ek9 rear lca is a lil different compared to urs, for the front yes i would say that it the same but for the rear..that where i'm a lil iffy....it like i'm saying if i'm not sure i rather not say i'm sure to brush you off, coz i have know of mates buying the wrong suspension and going thru the dreads...

i have tried this many times with the americans...and i can tell you, they reply fast if you appear that you are really keen or something to buy from them..its how you would phrase it, i have not met any ugly distributor of major jap brands, in fact the turn around reply is quite speedy and they don't just stop there ..they will highlight to you....but the only drawback is quite to the point, they don't like wishy washers and they tend to reply only once or twice.

FERIO97 = do the same mate...honestly i hate to reiterate, find it outself is golden to have the info stick to the head, you learn alot:)

eknine
27-02-2004, 05:15 PM
darkcoupe i re-read the site again...

the jap and the american the ek9 one is for you:)

Civic Type R
27-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Roy, the EK9 uses different suspension to the other EKs and EMs.
I dont think they are compatible..

eknine
27-02-2004, 05:32 PM
adam in a way you are right...but if dark coupe reads the fine print in the jap site

"* = Development type & = development schedule type * = conformity OK 0 = conformity OK (spring seat position adjustment is needed) as for △ = installation is possible, but it is outside the guarantee object.
In order to match to this type best, "development type"... as this corporation development vehicle it set.
"Conformity OK"... at development type the product which was developed the type which was verified that it does installation verification in installation possible vehicle type, can show development type equal efficiency."

it basically does say that installion is possible but outside guarantee object(means not guarantee)...so i'm concluding that the americans use the same bif you see the US site, it talks abt "2dr coupe/3dr/4dr sedan"

the ek9 is the only one that is closest fit:)...like i mentioned his best bet is to suss the americans because he choose the americans EM1 and luckily for him they speak english, and if it sit in but not sit properly totally say 80%, that mean he has to take heed of the jap where they cover their ass in the fine prints of the above....and likely need to follow what in those fine prints....apart from that i don't know why he doesn't choose those which is not in the 60-40 ...drive the em , take the risk:)

don't forget the ek4 exist in the states as em1, if he has the money he can chaed up the order with the americans using our local dealers to provide him the answer..but i think the person he is ordering from is taking risk with him...and whoever is that, i don't know if its smart or plain ahem *risk

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 05:34 PM
I just want some good coilovers ... I was told these were awsome (from the various review and thread I read on teh US site) ...

dunno what to do now ... :(

eknine
27-02-2004, 05:36 PM
did you read from honda-tech dark coupe??

Civic Type R
27-02-2004, 05:45 PM
why do coupes have to be so difficult :D
why does Honda change everything ?

eknine
27-02-2004, 05:47 PM
f*ck.
why do coupes have to be so difficult :D
why does Honda change everything ?

the americans change it...

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 05:47 PM
nah not from there ... from clubcivic.com and also from clubsi.com mostly.

eknine
27-02-2004, 06:07 PM
darkcoupe nonetheless gluck, maybe you managed to find out , keep us in the loop:) ...but if you are all uncertain then determine the risk i told you abt, if you buy from a local, chances of returning for something that fits is a better choice ..otherwise go down the path that has aleady been forge and leave the creativities for those who has a deeper pockets or better support to try out:)

adam anything to add?;)

skoota
27-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Hang on. I thought that all Civics built from 99 onwards were EK9. You guys have said what EK4 and EK9and EM1's are but it only applies to the VTi-R in both hatch and coupe, oh and Type R. I am confussed. What is my '99 GLi Hatch then???? :oops: :? Is mine EK4, EK9 or EM1????? :P

eknine
27-02-2004, 06:33 PM
ek9 = CTR
preface lift(1997 - 1998)
facelifted (>1999)

ek4 <1999 = ek4

em1 = american version of the jap ek4 except that its coupe

if its a civic , and its a HB and its ek...its the ek civic HB family

don't quite answer ur question eh..... too tired to focus now..sorri:(

ps: thx darkcoupe...lack of focus

DarkCoupe
27-02-2004, 07:52 PM
um ... EM1 is not a hatch ... it is a coupe ... or a 2 door sedan shape (it has a proper boot not like a type R integra which is a coupe/hatch)

skoota
28-02-2004, 12:21 AM
So to answer my question, what is my GLi hatch? I've been telling ppl it's an EK9 but then again I'm not 100% sure now cos u f*ckers have confussed me. 1999 Civic GLi hatch = ?... this is the part where u guys answer... :P

VTEC16
28-02-2004, 12:39 AM
So to answer my question, what is my GLi hatch? I've been telling ppl it's an EK9 but then again I'm not 100% sure now cos u f*ckers have confussed me. 1999 Civic GLi hatch = ?... this is the part where u guys answer... :P

Its definetely an "ek"....and definately a number lower than 4.....im quite sure its an "EK1"

EDIT: you wish you had an EK9 (...but then dont we all??) :P

eknine
28-02-2004, 08:34 AM
yeah vtec16 is right, in short ur is just an EK.... not 4 nor 9

luckily for you you don't have to battle out identifing parts for ur car..coz its a HB issn't<laffz>....if you have a coupe, only at times when it conflicts that when you get a lil worried...but even so most ek4 parts are a bolts on to the ek civic - coupe and HB

skoota
28-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Yeah, wish I had an EK9 :cry:

DarkCoupe
28-02-2004, 07:18 PM
ok so ...

when I am talking to some guy in Japan and/or some guy in the US

and they ask me okay so what model civic do you have

do I say EK4, EK9 or EM1?

(my guess is EM1 which is an EK coupe)

please confirm! :D

eknine
28-02-2004, 07:34 PM
ok so ...

when I am talking to some guy in Japan and/or some guy in the US

and they ask me okay so what model civic do you have

do I say EK4, EK9 or EM1?

(my guess is EM1 which is an EK coupe)

please confirm! :D

if you speak to the americans you say urs is the Civic SI....if they don't know what you are saying quote the model as EM1 (have a look at the tein US site, it says EM1)

in short the
Civic SI = EM1
CTR = EK9

you'd better speak to the americans first b4 the jap:)

DarkCoupe
28-02-2004, 11:40 PM
well I know my car is actually made in the US belive it or not ...
it's just rebadged for Australian market as the Civic VTi-R coupe ... but over there in the US like u said it's the Civic Si (have already confirmed this from Clubcivic.com)

so ... you think I should buy parts from US rather than Japan cause I'm more likely to find compatible parts for my car!?!

eknine
29-02-2004, 09:17 AM
darkcoupe, my honest opinions is use the americans for all your facts findings ...and you have actually answer urself prior..."coz shipping will be cheaper coz jap is closer" and the cost of parts goes up, because it has changed a few hands (jap -> US-> you).....

where a part is on a iffy status, go with the best ur pockets can afford...don't settle for second, remember you have to live with the pain and the aftermath...sometime it may cost a lil, but you pay for something no one will ...and that the price of knowledge and like i say i don't have to tell the world what i know, i can be an empty ass..but i might know something you might not..and who says knowledge is free, get my drift:) ...

you are the best answer for urself...and in your case with suspension, i don't know why..it could be the make or whatever..the em1's-> i have know of a few personally with some unwanted dreads to live with just by saving a few dollars...

this is what i will do, find out as much from the americans folks...then order it at the local tein authorised dealership(if you show them the money, even its not on the list, i'm sure they can do something abt it..that why they are the authorised resells", coz remember , if tein australia make the mistake, they can honour that mistake(just tell them the model of ur car and leave the rest of the part no to them... )

...else just forget abt this particular model and go for something that has been tried and tested:)...i for once like to go away into what ppl has not done esp with new parts from a reputated brand(the newer the better issn't it :D )..so i could be bias, but least you will have someone to share the responsibilities...that tein Aust.

apart from suspension, most of the other parts that are used for the ek4 are more than likely a bolts-on:)

g'luck:)

ps: i know you will love the particular tein that u have chosen, cos you have put in all the extra work into making it work...the only thing is-> if you are prepared to walk thru the door:) ...if you do get it , take me on a ride sometime<laffz>

DarkCoupe
29-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Tein Aust ... is there such a thing???

eknine
29-02-2004, 08:02 PM
ooops my bad, i mean tein authorised dealer in australia....i'm not into tein nor have bought anything locally, but i'm sure someone can point you out to the authorised dealers in australia:)

DarkCoupe
03-03-2004, 02:20 PM
ok so I am back ...

Have talked to Tein Japan, Tein US, a Australian distributor (took a while) ;)

Long story short, the Tein Kit from Japan will fit my car, just like the US one. The only main difference is the spring rating, due to the fact that US roads are a in a pretty bad condition (similar to ours) in comparison to the smooth japanese ones. So, the US subsidiary of Tein decided to do R&D and make a local kit for the US.

Here is the technical data:

US Version

Front: 8 kg / 448 mm
Rear: 4kg / 224 mm

Japanease Version

Front: 6.0 kg / 250 mm
Rear: 3.0 kg / 200 mm

Now, sorry to sound like a newbie ... but can someone explain to me what all that data means?

Firstly, why is the front so much higher than for the back (is it due to the higher weight at the front because of the engine?)

Secondly, which kit is 'stiffer', the Japanese or US? How did you work that out?

Any help is appreciated :D thanks guys!

eknine
04-03-2004, 06:07 PM
the US is stiffer compared to the Jap specs:)

if you like it firm and hard, then maybe the US specs will do for you...

i will go for the jap specs...no doubt:) ... a little comfort i suppose:)

DarkCoupe
04-03-2004, 06:34 PM
do any of you know what the stock rating is for my car? (EM1 Civic Coupe)
where do I find out?!?!