PDA

View Full Version : H23A Into a EG Si

Toby
27-02-2004, 09:13 PM
does any company make the engine mounts to suit this transplant or would you have to get them custom made?

CAT_SPEW
27-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Not really sure, but maybe Hasport? I've heard they make a few mounts.

MrPlow
27-02-2004, 09:48 PM
why would you want to transplant such a heavy engine? :?

evil_mike
27-02-2004, 10:11 PM
You would also need some new Springs to handle the extra weight of the engine

If you do, I suggest Swap Springs from Progress Technology

Than again, I wouldn't bother

McChook
27-02-2004, 10:16 PM
It has the same block as an H22 guys, so find those mounts - ask Geek where he got his.

It isn;t that hard, I say do it and fcuk the haters who are jealous they can;t get an H23A

Toby
27-02-2004, 10:35 PM

kuz its good if you wanna hang a snail of the side of the block ;)

McChook
27-02-2004, 10:38 PM

just get an H22 for that, H23 you wanna keep NA, it comes with a decent compression ratio, turboing one is just a waste of cashish - just stroke and overbore with some low comp pistons with the H22.... cheaper and same result

MrPlow
27-02-2004, 10:39 PM
hey, id love to hang a snail out the side of F15 jet engine, but damn i heard them things are quite heavy ...

save the hassel, snail a type r b18c ...

dont let me stop you, just my oppinion :)

McChook
27-02-2004, 10:44 PM
hey, id love to hang a snail out the side of F15 jet engine, but damn i heard them things are quite heavy ...
:)

They already have turbo's - ever look at a jet closely?? Pretty familliar don't ya think

Remember, there is no replacement for displacement

Toby
28-02-2004, 01:16 AM

just get an H22 for that, H23 you wanna keep NA, it comes with a decent compression ratio, turboing one is just a waste of cashish - just stroke and overbore with some low comp pistons with the H22.... cheaper and same result

thanks. you learn somthing everyday :D

wynode
28-02-2004, 01:37 AM

They already have turbo's - ever look at a jet closely?? Pretty familliar don't ya think

1. Jet engines are hardly comparable to an internal combustion engine :)
2. Turbocharging - a replacement for displacement.........................

vuvu
28-02-2004, 02:41 AM
lol owned?

McChook
28-02-2004, 10:23 AM

1. Jet engines are hardly comparable to an internal combustion engine :)
2. Turbocharging - a replacement for displacement.........................

1 - I said TURBO, not a turbo charged engine. A turbo, and a jet, both suck air in the same style, what they do after that is totally different....

2. OK then - How many people increase the displacement of their NA vehicles - I see very few B22's, H24's. Let's not be honda Biased though. Well actually, from Hondas we can only go to fords, GMs and Hemis, whic use a combination of the small, medium and big blocks to achieve anything between 4.5litre to 8.5 litres. Common, but they already have a whopping amount of displacement....

Have a look at some turbocharged nissans - Lots of CA20's, SR22's, RB22, RB24, RB27, RB28, RB31, FJ21. Subaru have 2.2 strokers, Evo's have 2.2 strokers... would you like me to continue

Obviously, I could keep going - Point being, no one really increases the displacement on NA vehicles, yet on turbocharged vehicles, it is quite the norm, and quite regualrly done.... Seems quite there is still no replacement for displacement when you have a turbocharged vehicle, and there isn;t - there is only so much power that can be generated nicely with a certain amount of exhaust gas - so increase the rate and amount of exhaust gas, and BINGO, turn up the boost some more, OR let the turbo make boost at an EARLIER RPM. At one point, there is only so much a turbo can achieve to a certain target, so increase the displacement....

N O R E P L A C E M E N T F O R D I S P L A C E M E N T

eknine
28-02-2004, 10:37 AM
:D -> NOREPLACEMENTFORDISPLACEMENT :thumbsup: for McChook ;)

[[d a n n y]]
28-02-2004, 10:40 AM
what car does the h23a come out of?

Weq
28-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Power to weight. Notice how heavy all of the above vechiles you mentioned are? They ned the inital displacement because of the torque such capacity provides.

And yes, a turbine is a replacement for displacement.

McChook
28-02-2004, 12:17 PM
]]what car does the h23a come out of?

Special edition Euro R apparently

An S13 Silvia weighs the same as an Integra type R after you strip it a little, which is slightly less than a stripped R32 GTsT. They are not that heavy. GTR's are heavier, yes.
Evo's and WRX's aren;t that heavy, weight in the 1200's after some stripping.

wynode
28-02-2004, 02:33 PM
1 - I said TURBO, not a turbo charged engine. A turbo, and a jet, both suck air in the same style, what they do after that is totally different....

In that case you should be more specific and call it a compressor. Because even a normal internal combustion engine 'sucks' in air, but its nothing like a jet engine.

2. OK then - How many people increase the displacement of their NA vehicles - I see very few B22's, H24's. Let's not be honda Biased though. Well actually, from Hondas we can only go to fords, GMs and Hemis, whic use a combination of the small, medium and big blocks to achieve anything between 4.5litre to 8.5 litres. Common, but they already have a whopping amount of displacement....

Have a look at some turbocharged nissans - Lots of CA20's, SR22's, RB22, RB24, RB27, RB28, RB31, FJ21. Subaru have 2.2 strokers, Evo's have 2.2 strokers... would you like me to continue

Obviously, I could keep going - Point being, no one really increases the displacement on NA vehicles, yet on turbocharged vehicles, it is quite the norm, and quite regualrly done.... Seems quite there is still no replacement for displacement when you have a turbocharged vehicle, and there isn;t - there is only so much power that can be generated nicely with a certain amount of exhaust gas - so increase the rate and amount of exhaust gas, and BINGO, turn up the boost some more, OR let the turbo make boost at an EARLIER RPM. At one point, there is only so much a turbo can achieve to a certain target, so increase the displacement....

N O R E P L A C E M E N T F O R D I S P L A C E M E N T

Firstly, the statement I made was just that. Its a statement to counter act the term that there is 'no replacement for displacement'. But this is always open to interpretation. The idea is that to make more power you need a larger volume of air. You can do this in two ways.

1. You increase the volume inside the cylinder by having a larger capacity engine.
2. You increase the volume of air entering the cylinder by compressing it and forcing it in (turbocharging).

As for the statement:

"no one really increases the displacement on NA vehicles, yet on turbocharged vehicles, it is quite the norm, and quite regualrly done.... "

I'd like to see what that was based on.

An S13 Silvia weighs the same as an Integra type R after you strip it a little, which is slightly less than a stripped R32 GTsT. They are not that heavy. GTR's are heavier, yes.
Evo's and WRX's aren;t that heavy, weight in the 1200's after some stripping.

Strip a little here and a little there and all of a sudden all cars weigh the same?? Its not easy as you say to loose 100-150Kgs. You can hardly generalise like you have above and bring all those cars into the same weight category.

Toby
28-02-2004, 02:33 PM

92-98 Prelude, maybe the newer shape as well not sure.

vuvu
28-02-2004, 02:55 PM
comparing say an s15 to a v8..
very very different capacities yet how many times will the s15 beat it? hypothetically speaking that is...
now an SR20de vs a v8 (ie comodore SS) i'd say the SR20 n/a will get owned but stick a turbo on the mf and there u go.. replacement for displacement

don't get me started on rotors..
peace

McChook
28-02-2004, 05:03 PM

Um. Where?? Please show me one

McChook
28-02-2004, 05:06 PM
comparing say an s15 to a v8..
very very different capacities yet how many times will the s15 beat it? hypothetically speaking that is...
now an SR20de vs a v8 (ie comodore SS) i'd say the SR20 n/a will get owned but stick a turbo on the mf and there u go.. replacement for displacement

don't get me started on rotors..
peace

Sticking a turbo on an SR20DE will not do shit. An SR20DE and an SR20DET are different, its not just a turbo mate

Rotors are different animals, therefore require a whole other area of discussion, so stick to piston power please.

Want to play V8 Vs S15 HUH. Let's play Chev 427vs an SR2-DET. Lets say OWNED.

You can keep going for days and days, and there will be people for and against turbos. Normally Aspirated people will say Turbos are cheating, and turbo people will say they are the shiznit, and my 2 litre turbo is as fast as your 5.7 litre commondore - In the end, any engine is only as fast as you want to make it. Money is always an issue, but niether are cheaper than one another if you want maximum performance. In the end, with each set up, you are still capped to a maximum possible horsepower point - eventually. Sure, there is a 1000hp Sr22 in japan, but I mean really, it doesn;t make boost until 7000rpm.... Realistically, there is only so far you want/can to go on the street (I could say curcuit racing, but we are all street people) in reality - drag racing is different, and should not be compared in this instance.

I am a bit of both. I own a Skyline, and have a lot do do with hondas, both racing and street. I just really dislike people who say one is better, when really, there are horses for courses.

vuvu
28-02-2004, 06:07 PM
yes i meant sr20det
s15's arn't an sr20de+turbo...
well different arguments for different applications
but the fact of the matter is.. forcing more air into the cylinders is the same as increasing the size of the engine and having more volume of air in the cylinders... if that makes sense
i don't really care.. im both an n/a and f/i person.. if the v8 didn't drink so much petrol, and there wasn't too much sik dudes with them, then i wouldn't mind them so much.. i'm not saying one is better than the other... but the argument is there is replacement for displacement...
peace dude

McChook
28-02-2004, 06:14 PM
displacement will never be replaced.
Honda now produce a 2 litre engine that creates more horsepower than older generation holden V8s.. This goes backwards on my story, but HEY, it isn;t all V8s and 4CYL turbos...

and don't forget the mightiest of all engines. The 3litre straight 6...

wynode
28-02-2004, 06:31 PM
displacement will never be replaced

It already has :)

McChook
28-02-2004, 07:18 PM
displacement will never be replaced

It already has :)

By what?? N20??
Turbo's need displacement, so it cannot be replaced...

Toby
28-02-2004, 07:44 PM

Um. Where?? Please show me one

Are your serious?? :shock: Preludes come with H23, my friend owns one.

McChook
28-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Hang on, are we talking about H23a Vtecs or non-vtecs....
I may have mis-intpreted the question, as there are H23A Blue top Vtec's out there.... they were Euro-R specials...

An H23a non-vtec is common as shit, sorry for flaming you dude

ginganggooly
28-02-2004, 08:05 PM
extra capacity and turbos ammount to different means of achieving a similar end result IMO. burn more of the air and fuel mixture- make more power.

i guess a v8 would be more driveable and fuss free, to a degree, and the turbo 4 would save a bit of weight...

i've never seen the need to compare different types of configurations, mainly because they break everything up into categories anyway. fastest overall will probably be v8's for quite some time though. 6000hp top fuel- thats where the party at :)

Toby
28-02-2004, 11:30 PM
I may have mis-intpreted the question, as there are H23A Blue top Vtec's out there.... they were Euro-R specials...

Yeah I was talking about the H23A non VTEC. I dident even know there was a VTEC version of the H23. No prob dude ;)

McChook
29-02-2004, 12:18 AM

Yeah I was talking about the H23A non VTEC. I dident even know there was a VTEC version of the H23. No prob dude ;)

Yeah man, they made a Vtec version - there are a fewon ebay for US$3000. only made a few hundred apparently. They are also referred to as a "blue top" in japan....

Toby
29-02-2004, 11:17 AM

ok, so you still stand by that comment now that you know we are talking about the same engine?? I thought VTEC engines are more expensive, thats why I would go with the H23A not the VTEC H22A. The extra money spent on the H22A could get you a set of forgies for the H23A.

McChook
29-02-2004, 11:02 PM

ok, so you still stand by that comment now that you know we are talking about the same engine?? I thought VTEC engines are more expensive, thats why I would go with the H23A not the VTEC H22A. The extra money spent on the H22A could get you a set of forgies for the H23A.

Well, due to the confusion..... It doesn;t really matter... The H23a non-vtec would suffice IMO. Others will debate

I was thinking you were talking about the H23a Vtec - which is way expensive, so I think you can safely keep the non-vtec for a turbo converion

EG5
01-03-2004, 08:14 AM
do k20 dude , dont waste ur time on h series engine.
some guy from Auckland NZ just did K20 on EG hatch , it did 12.9 sec down the 1/4 mile.
( stock k20)