PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Dual Fuel?

Petronas
17-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I was just wondering is it possible to install a dual Fuel System in the Euro? LPG and Petrol. Kind of like how Taxis have it, press a button its petrol, press again its LPG. I'm thinking if it was possible it would cost around... $1.5 - $1.8k?

as001
17-09-2005, 10:26 PM
dunno about dual fuel... but you prob could do a full lpg conversion also heard the ron rating on lpg is higher then 98 somewhere in the 105 rating!?!?! apparently reason for power loss on conversion is inefficient pump's or something dunno know a whole lot about this, a guy i know is researching this hard he's considering converting his my00 rex to lpg

Petronas
17-09-2005, 11:07 PM
dunno about dual fuel... but you prob could do a full lpg conversion also heard the ron rating on lpg is higher then 98 somewhere in the 105 rating!?!?! apparently reason for power loss on conversion is inefficient pump's or something dunno know a whole lot about this, a guy i know is researching this hard he's considering converting his my00 rex to lpg
A full LPG convrsion is pretty useless if you want performance every now and again. Anyway, If anybody has anymore info about Dual Fuel for the Euro please share.

madjace
18-09-2005, 12:00 AM
i enquired about lpg conversion and the kits have to be approved by eps . so the people that make the kits mainly do holden ford etc .. i was tols there is no kit for the euro and infact had never been an approved kit for any honda ..

It is possible i guess its just that there is no approved kit and probaly wont ever be

yfin
18-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Of all the threads I have seen in this section - I would have never thought someone would ask about putting a Euro on LPG!! You crazy mothers... :D

It is a 4 cylinder and if driven sensibly gets under 10 litres per 100kms consistenly in the city. Why spend thousands putting it on LPG to use 30% MORE fuel and have a dog of a car? Oh and you will not have a boot because of the huge cylinder back there. And I think the car will have serious valve problems the first time you try and hit VTEC running on gas.

ECU-MAN
18-09-2005, 12:12 AM
LPG would be possible to install on a Euro, just think of the boot space you would loose with that big ass tank,

also LPG has a ron of about 112, but you end up with about 87 at the valves, problem is heat, you have to turn the liquid gas into a vapor ( thats what the converter does ) and the longer the vapour tube that goes from the converter to the Throttle body the more heat soak and the more ron loss.

LPG liquid phase injection would be the best, as your atomising the LPG at the injector so you dont loose your RON, so infact you make more power, but its not legal for comercial use, only allowed to use it for development purposes. :(

Petronas
18-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Of all the threads I have seen in this section - I would have never thought someone would ask about putting a Euro on LPG!! You crazy mothers... :D

It is a 4 cylinder and if driven sensibly gets under 10 litres per 100kms consistenly in the city. Why spend thousands putting it on LPG to use 30% MORE fuel and have a dog of a car? Oh and you will not have a boot because of the huge cylinder back there. And I think the car will have serious valve problems the first time you try and hit VTEC running on gas.
Thats why I said a Dual System, I'm not interested in full LPG conversion. Think about it, LPG gives 85% distance on a full tank compared to Petrol on a full tank But, and its a big But The cost of LPG is nearly 1/3 of the price of petrol. And whenever you have a track day or wanna drag some dude in his crappy Pulsar at the lights press a button and hey, 12% more power! So you see you would be saving money in 2 years if you drive as much as the average Australian (I dunknow how much that is, I read it somewhere). One more thing 45 - 50kg isnt alot when thinking of the money you save...

Theres my argument for pro Dual System LPG... Hit me with what you got :cool:, Boot space, no worries, 50kg+, no worries, 12% power loss for driving in the city, no worries, 85% Distance compared to Petrol, no worries, 52c p/L Gas YEAH!

The only reason I would not do this would be if the 12% gain in performance did not come back when switched back to petrol...

yfin
18-09-2005, 10:19 AM
What about the valve problems? The engine isn't designed for LPG. ECU-Man said you will have 87 ron at the valves - for a car that needs min 95 ron. Sounds like engine problems ahead.

And how would you ever sell the car? It would be bloody hard to sell on the used marked a dual fuel Euro.

Personally - I think the idea is crazy. Much better off selling the Euro and buying a BA falcon or similar designed to run on gas.

euro1978
18-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Theres my argument for pro Dual System LPG... Hit me with what you got :cool:, Boot space, no worries, 50kg+, no worries, 12% power loss for driving in the city, no worries, 85% Distance compared to Petrol, no worries, 52c p/L Gas YEAH!

Resale Value = 0, yeah !!

yfin
18-09-2005, 11:44 AM

Post of the month. Gold. Lol. :D

Petronas
18-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I think i just got owned....

LPG wouldnt really damage anything would it? Its not a 'Full' LPG conversion.... Anyway, I think i've lost this so yeah....

TwEigh
18-09-2005, 12:47 PM
you rather put custom audio setup in the boot, rather than putting chunky lpg tank.

kam
18-09-2005, 02:22 PM
unless your hitting the VTEC pretty hard, fuel consumption should be too high. If your THAT worried about fuel consumption, just go buy an old school ford falcon LGP as your daily :D

PNR888
18-09-2005, 02:26 PM
A friend of mine used to drive a previouse generation Nissan Patrol 4x4 with Dual Fuel..
Apart from benifit of cheaper fuel bill, also he got longer range (petrol + LPG). I guess this advantage is not that essential for city orientated sedan like Euro...

I remember he said you have to run on petrol at least once a week to prevent rubber tube cracking as result of drying out.

I am not so sure about if RON difference... But he never had problem with that, I guess back then the Patrol only run on 91 unleaded. so the difference is not that great.

ECU-MAN
18-09-2005, 10:54 PM
What about the valve problems? .

you dont really need to worry about that on unleaded engines, as they have hardened valves and seats.
its the leaded engines that where the problem,

anyway you can always run upper cylinder lube

Civic Type R
20-09-2005, 06:22 PM
im considering converting my civic to run full LPG