PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Oil Sump

-MuGen PoWer-
17-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Just changing oil on a new car i got. When taking the bolt out at the bottom it was really hard at certain turns and i finally got it out.
Now when trying to put the bolt back in, it wouldnt go in at all. It doesnt bite into the thread or anything. :confused:
What should i do guys?
rethread???
Would a new bolt work? and how much are these

Weq
17-09-2005, 09:10 PM
sounds like it was crossthreaded in. id say pull the sump and tap a new thread.

ACTI0NMAN-1
17-09-2005, 09:54 PM
the oil sump uses a crush bolt, i thought you're supposed to replace it after an oil change. I know i always have.

wynode
17-09-2005, 09:59 PM
the oil sump uses a crush bolt, i thought you're supposed to replace it after an oil change. I know i always have.
It actually uses a crush washer which you 'should' change each time.

If the thread on the sump hasnn't been crossthreaded....you might be lucky enough to only need a newsump plug bolt.

h22a accord
17-09-2005, 11:01 PM
u could try to rethread it but that would mean u would need a wider sump plug and every time u did an oil change u would have to find a sump washer that would fit the wider sump plug ( the washers are usually a perfect fit for the sump plug so a plug bigger would need a bigger washer)
Also, if its treaded, there is a chance u have metal shaving in the sump that shoulnt be there cos its bad!

If it was me i would fix it right and fix it 1st time and by sourcing a 2nd sump and plug from the wreckers asap because that plug is the only thing keeping the oil in your engine and u dont want hassles with it either.

ECU-MAN
18-09-2005, 12:19 AM
just get a new sump plug bolt
there only about 10 bucks

9 times out of 10 its just the bolt that get hammerd, if you have tallent you may have damaged the thread in the sump, thats when you need to tap it out with a thread tap, this can be done with the sump on the car with some skill to make sure there is no metal bits left in the sump.

-MuGen PoWer-
18-09-2005, 10:34 AM
thanks, i will try to replace the sUmp plug bolt 1st. If that doesnt work then i will have to go get another sump from wreckers. Any idea on how much i should be paying and how would i fit this on DIY?

bennjamin
18-09-2005, 11:22 AM
to replace the sump basically you need to drain the oil + take off oil filter , remove the lower flywheel cover ( a few small nuts) and the 2-1 section of the exhaust manifold to make things easier - and then there is 12 or so ( i forget ?!?) nuts holding the sump in place. MESSY job :)

-MuGen PoWer-
18-09-2005, 11:43 AM
sounds very messy.
How would i get the sump rethreaded?? i dont have the tools to rethread

Boost
18-09-2005, 11:48 AM
it depends on the metal the bolt is made from and the metal the sump is made from whether you stripped the bolt thread of the thread on the sump. If the thread on the bolt is stripped then most probably there is thread left inside the sump plug. In which case you need to retap it with the right size tapper. Make you you use the right tapper as there are alot of diff. threads out there.. i think the bolt uses a metric thread.. but check to make sure.. Other thread types are UNF, AN, BSPT, NPT.
If you tap it with the wrong tapper then you will need to find the right bolt for the new size hole. ANd if you do tap the sump again.. dont do a dodgy and do it while the sump is still on the car.. take it out and make sure you get rid of all the scrap metal left over from the tapping process. Hope that helps.

wynode
18-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Boost our trusty mech eng joins in :)

-MuGen PoWer-
19-09-2005, 11:55 AM
thanks for your help guys. Lucky it was fixed by replacing the bolt.