PDA

View Full Version : ROH wheels

crx
28-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi, i am about to get a set of ROH Adrenalin wheel and falken 326 (205/45/16) tyre for my 3rd gen crx. I have done some research and found out that they weight about 17kg's each with tyres. My question is that are they quite heavy and will i lose alot of performance from this upgrade. Currently i have 15's on my car.

Also i have been quote $1550, does it sound reasonable. I am in melbourne.

joneblaze
28-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Hey dude,

I used to have the 17" Adrenalins on my GSi. They came with the car when i bought it. When i "up" graded to stock VTiR integra alloys (15"), the increased torque and performance of my stock car was seriously incredible. If you're cruising around everywhere and love the look of the wheel then go for it. Otherwise if you prefer to keep your car at optimal performance I'd recommend you stick to your 15"s for now till you source some quality lightweight rims. :)
I seriously think that paying 1.5k for Australian branded ROH's with decent/average rubber is a complete ripoff. For that sort of money you could get some nice 2nd hand or even new lightweight gunmetal/bronze/white/silver wheels.... even in 16"s! Check out www.donnellans.com.au . They ship interstate too, depending on where you are. Or just trawl some forum Sale sections...something will turn up. Good luck!

jon.

A'PEXi
28-02-2004, 02:26 PM
im with jon on that one.... if your after performance, then definatly stick with 15s or lightweight 16's... if your after looks then the roh are okay..

vuvu
28-02-2004, 03:16 PM
i upgraded from 14" stockies to 16" roh adrenalins on my civic si
expect take off to be effected... but then again expect top end control to be drastically improved.. i did 200km/h on the 14" and it didn't feel too good o_0 but now over 160km/h and it still feels very firm
take off is slower naturally due to the weight of the rims but i rekon if u get it right (i.e ride the fuk outta ur clutch) + the extra rubber you can do good ones.. just a bit slower than the stockies
in the end dude its upto u...
and i think wen jon sed "When i "up" graded to stock VTiR integra alloys (15"), the increased torque and performance of my stock car was seriously incredible." that its a bit overated.. i went up 2 inches bigger and it wasn't that bad...
if people say that its a "performance downgrade" if you get bigger rims then they are wrong (to an extent :D ) if you got soft suspension like i do and small wheels then expect it to feel floaty at high speeds.. also if you take corners too hard with 14" it will slide easily but with 16" it won't as much... simple?
in the end.. 16" is where its at cz seriously how many times do u drag/highspeed test/DRIFT? want your car to look nice? then get 16"s if you want performance then get lighweight 16"s.. 14/15" are shit house..
want proof?
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/plustest.html
and too find out more about wheels in general
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/wheels.html
hope i've been helpful
peace brother

vuvu
28-02-2004, 03:26 PM
oh and on price
i think it s a bit too much unless they provide tires?
btw get silver chrome as it looks nicer
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=2609
a bit high *stock suspension* and i rekon i shoulda got 17"s
oh well
AND be prepared to say to every 10th car "aye that dudes got my
wheels" cz they are THAT common :x
haha peace

McChook
28-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Get ROH Boost R's instead - much lighter, look just as nice in silver. Weight about 7kgs w/o tyre

joneblaze
28-02-2004, 04:00 PM
i upgraded from 14" stockies to 16" roh adrenalins on my civic si
expect take off to be effected... but then again expect top end control to be drastically improved.. i did 200km/h on the 14" and it didn't feel too good o_0 but now over 160km/h and it still feels very firm
take off is slower naturally due to the weight of the rims but i rekon if u get it right (i.e ride the fuk outta ur clutch) + the extra rubber you can do good ones.. just a bit slower than the stockies
in the end dude its upto u...
and i think wen jon sed "When i "up" graded to stock VTiR integra alloys (15"), the increased torque and performance of my stock car was seriously incredible." that its a bit overated.. i went up 2 inches bigger and it wasn't that bad...
if people say that its a "performance downgrade" if you get bigger rims then they are wrong (to an extent :D ) if you got soft suspension like i do and small wheels then expect it to feel floaty at high speeds.. also if you take corners too hard with 14" it will slide easily but with 16" it won't as much... simple?
in the end.. 16" is where its at cz seriously how many times do u drag/highspeed test/DRIFT? want your car to look nice? then get 16"s if you want performance then get lighweight 16"s.. 14/15" are shit house..
want proof?
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/plustest.html
and too find out more about wheels in general
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/wheels.html
hope i've been helpful
peace brother

Dude I think there's a fair difference between 14" and 15" wheels. A well balanced and aligned set of 15"s with good rubber will travel fine and high speeds and handle extremely well. I wasn't exaggerating the difference I felt when swapping my 17"s for OEM 15" alloys. The 15"s weigh 6.8kg without tyres. CRX has stated the 16"s he wants weigh 17kg with tyres... imagine how much the 17"s i had weighed.
Also, he could always grab a set of 15 x 6.5 or 15 x 7" rims...

vuvu
28-02-2004, 04:35 PM
well he still hasn't explained whether its for looks or for performance
"My question is that are they quite heavy and will i lose alot of performance from this upgrade. "
he will lose some.. not alot
i changed from 14" to 16" did NOT lose much performance at all.. onli thing affected was take off
the car feels even more planted on the road at high speeds and in corners
plus they look nicer.. so to me they drastically improved my ride
but he still hasn't specified whether its for performance or for looks .. im guessing looks
peace

Boost
28-02-2004, 05:24 PM
id say dont get them.. they are ugly IMO. but yeh Jon is right, i also use to have 17"s on my teggy and they bloody thing weighs so much,the car feels alot slower... stick to 15"s if ya want the performance. if you want looks but dont want to sacrifice the performance.. try looking at DTMs... they produce some good rims that are affordable. They are pretty light weight as well i compared them with VOLKS RAYS Engineers, both without tyres and they are pretty close i tell ya.
hmmmm dark bronze will be nice... or white..
See ya mate. Good luck and remember to post up somepics of the rims on the car.

_Wing_
28-02-2004, 05:25 PM
well he still hasn't explained whether its for looks or for performance
"My question is that are they quite heavy and will i lose alot of performance from this upgrade. "
His question only refers to weight and performance only, and the answer to those 2 questions is this:
- are they quite heavy = YES
- will i lose alot of performance from this upgrade = YES

he will lose some.. not alot
I disagree, he will lose alot... not some.

i changed from 14" to 16" did NOT lose much performance at all.. onli thing affected was take off
the car feels even more planted on the road at high speeds and in corners
ALL aspects of the car has changed, you may not have noticed or reaslised as of yet. Most of these are negative, but a benifit of a larger diameter wheel is the legal need to lower the tyres' profile.

they look nicer.. so to me they drastically improved my ride
They do look dope! "improved my ride" is determined on what you define as "improving" - if you mean you have improved the look of your ride, I'll drink to that!

[I'm lazy and I don't want to disect everybody's posts, and I am not attacking or being a dick to "vuvu" in anyway whatsoever, his post was the last one there to take apart so I did]

One line ends it all - the smaller the diameter and the lighter the rim, the better performance you will have.
Keeping all things constant [such as tyre width, tyre profile, the tyre itself and rim width] you tell me any reason(s) whatsoever as to why it - the smaller diameter, lighter rim will no out-perform that of the larger counterpart.[/quote]

vuvu
28-02-2004, 06:32 PM
dude
i like the way you put wat i sed out of context :?

Quote:

They do look dope! "improved my ride" is determined on what you define as "improving" - if you mean you have improved the look of your ride, I'll drink to that!

that is not the same as

the car feels even more planted on the road at high speeds and in corners plus they look nicer.. so to me they drastically improved my ride

either way
thats my experience with bigger wheels
you guys explain this then
with my stockies i raced my friends car won by 1 car length (raced about 4 times all up.. same result)
now with the 16"s i won by 1 car length, pretty much the same shit as before but had to be more delicate with my launch..
WOW guys.. big difference... but thats my story :D

you guys can say wat u want.. but to me.. car feels the same.. turning the car wen going slow is slightly heavier... tram lines on occasions haha and goin over bumps result in a bit of guard rubbing.. now taking turns is much safer.. especially in the wet wen my car tends to do 4 wheel drifits.. thats just the way it is for me

One line ends it all - the smaller the diameter and the lighter the rim, the better performance you will have.
if your saying that the bigger the diameter of the wheel is that it isn't better.. then why do car manufacturers but 16's 17's 18's on there cars? im telling you right now that car manufacturers are not stupid.. they spend months years developing their cars and at the end of it they do not say "hay dute.. let put 17" inch wheel on car mayke look phat!" (a jap speaking engrish? haha)
but i agree the lighter the wheel the better as less power is required to drive them...

im not attackin neone.. just putting this forum to good use ;)
peace :D

wynode
28-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Just stick with 15" Rims around the 6.5-7inch width and you should have enough rubber to tackle corners.

I myself am planning on changing from the 16" I have to a set of lighter 15s of the same width.

vti-2
28-02-2004, 07:15 PM
I haven't read all the replies but if you go from 15's to 17's you will notice a huge difference in performance. If you want looks then 17's are ok but if you want to keep your car fast and are more into performance the largest i'd go is 16's.

When i had my Integra, i went from 15" stockies to 18" Lenso rims and there was a HUGE difference. I felt it just during general driving, let alone when it came to launches at the lights and cornering, forget it.

Go for some nice 16's and you have a happy medium. The rims will still look great but you will retain some decent 0-100 acceleration.

crx
28-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I am in for the looks but dont want to sacrifice too much performace. As most of you know, 3rd gen crx with B16A isn't super quick (0-100kms about 8.5sec stock). My current 15inch are scratch badly so it is time to change to something new. After reading all of the relies, i am having doubts of getting the ROH's and maybe look out for some light weight 16's. The reason why i was planning to get the ROH is because they offer 16X6.5 which many manufactuerer dont make and they look pretty good. Any, thanks again for the replies.

McChook
28-02-2004, 07:59 PM
ligthweight 16s are the way go to IMO. Find ROH Boost R's, they are light, and sposed to come in 16...
sugestion anyway... lots round, find some cheap

_Wing_
28-02-2004, 09:00 PM
dude
i like the way you put wat i sed out of context :?

Quote:

that is not the same as

the car feels even more planted on the road at high speeds and in corners plus they look nicer.. so to me they drastically improved my ride

Sorry, my mistake.

you guys explain this then
with my stockies i raced my friends car won by 1 car length (raced about 4 times all up.. same result)
now with the 16"s i won by 1 car length, pretty much the same shit as before but had to be more delicate with my launch..
WOW guys.. big difference... but thats my story :D

Explanation = Tyres.

if your saying that the bigger the diameter of the wheel is that it isn't better.. then why do car manufacturers but 16's 17's 18's on there cars? im telling you right now that car manufacturers are not stupid.. they spend months years developing their cars and at the end of it they do not say "hay dute.. let put 17" inch wheel on car mayke look phat!" (a jap speaking engrish? haha)

Well actually, car manufacturer's DO do that to an extent~ do you REALLY think that all the wings and spoilers, etc are there for performance? The reason why manufacturers should put bigger wheels on is to accomodate for larger brakes.

im not attackin neone.. just putting this forum to good use ;)
peace :D
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eknine
28-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Wing is right ...."bigger wheel is to accomodate bigger brakes->calipers" :thumbsup: :nod:

there is no second answer-> bigger rotor thus complementary size calipers and that == beter stopping distance/power and whichever way you want to look at this..... the rims size has to be able to accomadate the upgrade of the mentioned:)

the real other reason to have bigger rims "the steetwise version" is that
ppl reckon or have the idea that it looks "pimping hot" ...errr IMO :thumbsdown: ...this is my lamn explaination for it :D

vti-2
29-02-2004, 12:52 PM
If you are going to upgrade brakes, 16's will be more than enough. If you are really keen on looks and want light-weight rims (and are bent on getting 17's) you are looking at very expensive rims such as Rays, Work, Enkei and Mugen who spend heaps of money developing light racing rims (incidently some of them used around the world for racing).

What is your budget?

IMO, stick to 16's cause they look good and won't hamper performance.

crx
29-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Apart from the ROH adrenalin, are they any other wheels that come in 6.5inch wide. Most of the 16inch's are atleast 7 inch wide. I have around $1400 to spend on wheels and tyres

joneblaze
29-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Lenso Concept Fives. I was faced with the same dilemma as yourself due to ADR/RTA reg's regarding rim width. I ended up with the 15 x 5.5 dc2 VTiR stock alloys. :) I don't regret it.

XXpl0Sive
29-02-2004, 09:13 PM
if your saying that the bigger the diameter of the wheel is that it isn't better.. then why do car manufacturers but 16's 17's 18's on there cars? im telling you right now that car manufacturers are not stupid.. they spend months years developing their cars and at the end of it they do not say "hay dute.. let put 17" inch wheel on car mayke look phat!" (a jap speaking engrish? haha) because some other cars can actually handle having 16's, 17's because they have more torque to pull with. eg. 350Z vs Civic

Kit
29-02-2004, 09:24 PM
just had a quick browse through this thread.
as most people have said, you will experience slower acceleration with 17" wheels on your CRX.

but one thing people didn't mention is that by changing to 17" wheels you are increasing the unsprung weight of the car. this means the suspension will have to work harder (probably not to a level where its significant) but more importantly, the braking ability of your car is reduced too as it needs to tackle with the greater momentum of the larger rims.

Chris

LatinoHatchCrap
01-03-2004, 10:05 AM
just a couple of weeks ago there was a thread expalining in deep theory why hondas dont like big wheels.
honda engines are designed to rev high to create power. three things that hinders our engines reaching peak power are
1. a/f restrictions
2. rotational mass
3. unsprung weight
with bigger wheels your creating higher rotatinal mass by the center of the wheel being further away from the contact patch to the ground. Further more the increase in weight multiplies itself each time the wheel rotates at a higher speed. These two things will hinder accelelration response and take off.
to put it plain and simple civics/crx's werent designed to sport wheels larger than 15" as that was the only factory option and the only size wheels i would run if i was serious about performance.
+ ROH=heavy+expensive :?

vuvu
01-03-2004, 06:52 PM
s'all good
well you guys are right.. lighter the better i don't argue on that
just that performance hasn't been decreased that hella much that i have noticed it...

get 16" lightweights..
they're the shit
peace

Redteg
02-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Personally, my seventeenies are there for looks first and foremost. I believe that they have decreased my acceleration, but i feel an increase in cornering grip and have found an increase in corner speed as a result. My stock rims were 14" with Yokohama A509's, 195/55/14.

My spare 17" without tyre weighs in at 9kg. I'll measure up a 14" steelie, a 14" steelie with ORIGINAL Michelin tyre, a stock 14" 'mag' with tyre, my space saver, and a 17" with tyre.

crx
02-03-2004, 01:02 AM
i took off my stock wheels today and weight it.....it was about 15kg with tyres. Is it quite heavy for 15's?

LUD02C
02-03-2004, 12:15 PM
I put 17" ROH Fury's on my Prelude.
I went from 14" to 17"
And if anyone has been around me after i cruise i really do regret it...

They are a shit load heavier!
I wish i bought nice alloy 16" with good rubber on them!

Your ride becomes bumpier and not as smooth, noise depends on what tyres you have!
You suspensions does work twice as hard as someone siad above!

$1,500 isn't a bad price!

PM if you want to know more!

[[d a n n y]]
02-03-2004, 12:17 PM
17" r shit ...that'll teach ya jason.. :P

Phorte
02-03-2004, 05:24 PM
hahaha Boost R's.............................

_Wing_
02-03-2004, 05:28 PM
hahaha Boost R's.............................

That made me literally LOL! hahahahaha!! :dance:

94vtirozguy
02-03-2004, 07:00 PM
i dont see the problem with heavy rims. I have the ROH and chose them exactly for the reason they are heavier. You ask why the hell would i do that ?

Well one major reason is our roads are crap. With any light weight RIM used for daily driving you are bound to hit a pothole and buckle a RIM. The ROH rims have taken the punishment so far.

If you are going to the track, keep some stock rims (as they are light) and put decent tyres on them. You dont need fancy rims for the track right ?

crx
02-03-2004, 10:14 PM
How does the boost R look like....i can seem to find them on the net......and what size do they come in....

Phorte
03-03-2004, 10:20 AM
have a look on any car magazine.. eg, back page of autosalon mag.

you'll see a dashing young lad standing in front of a dashing car.. HAHAHA

i believe they come in 16's and 17's.. no 18's (that i believe anyway) and maybe 15's.

they basically look similar to dc2 type-r rims. come in white, silver or gold.