PDA

View Full Version : Michael Park Dies in WRC accident.

LUD02C
19-09-2005, 03:25 PM
http://www.wrc.com/page/BreakingNewsDetail/0,,10111~714967,00.html

Markko Martins co-driver.
Such sad news...
RIP to Michael Park! :(

LUD02C
19-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Michael Park, co-driver for Markko Martin, has died after an accident on stage 15 of Wales Rally GB on Sunday.

Park, 39, was killed when Martin's Peugeot 307 crashed heavily into a tree on the passenger's side during the 17-mile Margam stage.

Estonian Martin escaped unhurt. The stage was halted and organisers then decided to cancel the final two stages.

Petter Solberg won the event after Sebastien Loeb declined to retain his world title in such circumstances.

A statement from the organisers said: "It is with deep regret that we confirm that Michael Park was fatally injured following an accident on special stage 15.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/img/v3/end_quote.gif (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfivelive/F2148571?thread=1040641)

"The next of kin has been informed. The driver f car number eight, Markko Martin, is uninjured."

No spectators were involved in the accident.

Park, nicknamed 'Beef', was a highly-experienced co-driver who had worked with former champions Richard Burns and Colin McRae.

Married with children, he first began rallying on the world championship circuit in 1994 as Mark Higgins' co-driver.

Park, from Newent in Gloucestershire, teamed up with Martin in 2000 when the Estonian was rallying a privately-entered Toyota.

They stayed together at Subaru and Ford before moving to Peugeot this year. The pair had won five world rallies together.

Peugeot issued a statement confirming that Martin had hit a tree on the right hand side of the car, fatally injuring Park.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

"Peugeot Automobiles and Peugeot Sport would like to express their feeling of extreme sadness and deep emotion to the family of Michael Park."

The cancellation of the remaining stages and withdrawal of Peugeot's Marcus Gronholm after Park's death would have meant Citroen's Loeb retaining his world title.

But the Frenchman declined to win the title in that manner and deliberately incurred a two minute penalty before heading back to Cardiff for the offical finish.

That left him in third place with Subaru's Solberg declared the winner and Citroen's Francois Duval runner-up. The rally finished at a sombre Millennium Stadium, where flags flew at half mast and a minute's silence was observed

LUD02C
19-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Colin McRae led tributes to co-driver Michael Park, who was killed in a crash on stage 15 of Wales Rally GB.

The Scot called Park one of rallying's "real characters" after learning that Park had died when the Peugeot he shared with Markko Martin hit a tree.

The remaining stages was cancelled and flags flew at half mast as hundreds of fans observed a minute's silence.

"As a driver you carry twice the responsibility - I feel miserable," said English driver Natalie Barratt.

"Everybody knows about the risk but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, one pushes that aside."

Barratt's co-driver Kaj Lindstrom added his tribute to Park.

"It is bad when someone close to you passes on. But it somewhat comforts me that I know that Michael had been very happy in what he was doing."

Ford TeamRS director Jost Capito said: "During his time at Ford, 'Beef', as he was affectionately known to everyone in the sport, became a friend of us all.

"He was the utmost professional, but never lost sight of the fact that despite the intensity and pressures of his job, rallying was fun." And BP-Ford director Malcolm Wilson said: "Rallying has lost the ultimate professional and ambassador and we have all lost a true friend."

Vivski
19-09-2005, 06:22 PM
It's really sad. Michael Park was a great co-driver and a great character in the WRC for years. After a while you see so many competetors walking away from horrendous crashes and you start to think fatal accidents dont happen. Then it happens again. It's very sadenning when it does.

I feel terrible for Markko Martin, because imagine how he feels. Drivers and co-drivers are closer than husbands and wives. They have an ultimate bond and it must be so crushing to lose your partner in this way.

Possum Bourne lost his co-driver Rodger Freeth in an accident in Rally Australia some years ago. He continued to compete wearing the number plate 'ROJ' in a tribute to Freeth. He went on to win many championships and I hope Markko continues on as well. But I'm willing to bet he'll never sit in a Peugeot 307 ever again.

Very sad news. As a passionate rally fan, my thoughts are with Michael's family, Markko and the Peugeot team who will be hit very hard by this.

7th Gen
19-09-2005, 08:02 PM
even though i have not followed WRC as closely this year, it's still a shock to hear that someone died

i remember feeling numb when i heard Possum Bourne died. i thought, 'no way this guy is invincible!'

our thoughts go out to his family and friends. and Markko Martin, imagine what he must be feeling like right now. pray for them, and for all the WRC community.

i guess you can say he died doing something which he was passionate about and what he really enjoyed :o

RIP Michael Park

^^v
19-09-2005, 09:14 PM
thoughts go out to his family...

although its rare.. incidents lik this makes u realize how dangerous motorsport is...

rip michael park

LUD02C
19-09-2005, 09:16 PM
We also have to take our hats off to Leob.
Not entering after the news because Marcus pulled out in the other 307 gave Leob the WDC, but he declined it.
True champion in my opinion.

Poor Markko, impact straight on Michael's side that killed him.
I do hope to see Markko in a WRC one day again.

civ_sik
19-09-2005, 10:03 PM
markko will be back but he'll be hit hard by it.

jackosimm
20-09-2005, 07:03 PM
damn thats tragic, you have to expect these things though and personally its a mirracle there arent more. Good point keiran, he will be hit hard by it, pretty disturbing thing

Petronas
20-09-2005, 09:42 PM
We also have to take our hats off to Leob.
Not entering after the news because Marcus pulled out in the other 307 gave Leob the WDC, but he declined it.
True champion in my opinion.

Poor Markko, impact straight on Michael's side that killed him.
I do hope to see Markko in a WRC one day again.
He only did this because he has such a big lead in the WDC points....

Anways, I was shocked when i read this thread... Like the previouse post said, you see these crashes everyday but you never expect a seriouse injury...

LUD02C
21-09-2005, 04:41 PM
PEUGEOT's Markko Martin will miss the Rally of Japan after the crash that killed his British co-driver Michael Park last weekend.

"Martin's presence there is totally unthinkable," the Eurosport website quoted Peugeot team boss Jean-Pierre Nicolas as saying. "What's happened is still too raw."

Estonian Martin was uninjured after his car left the road and hit a tree on the passenger side in South Wales on the 15th stage of the Rally of Britain. Park, 39, died instantly.

Nicolas said Martin remembered nothing of the accident.

"Markko has been affected very much psychologically," said Nicolas, who explained that Martin had been to see his co-driver's widow.

"He also wanted to see the car and go back to the scene of the accident to try to understand what happened," said Nicolas.

Peugeot havs yet to confirm their participation in Japan, the next rally from September 30 to October 2, and has asked the governing FIA for more time to make a decision.

Citroen's world champion, Sebastien Loeb, who deliberately took time penalties to avoid winning the race and his second title in such circumstances, said the sport needs to do more to increase safety. "The cars are well designed, solid, but one can see that this is not sufficient," he said.

"There is always a compromise between safety and weight. One can ask whether the cars haven't become too powerful and too sophisticated. For us, they are very easy to take to the limit. And to be in front, you are on the limit all the time...the speeds have perhaps become too high.

"You will never avoid deaths in motorsport, but we must still do more. "If we have to add 30 kilos to the roof because it makes it safer, then we should do it, impose it on everyone and everyone would be in agreement," he said. "There are surely things to find, to optimise, to improve teams' safety."

Reuters

jackosimm
21-09-2005, 06:03 PM
i like that last paragraph there with his quotes, makes extreme sense and a good point that deaths wont be avoided