PDA

View Full Version : first d15b sohc vtec dual carb.

MrJDMCivic
21-09-2005, 12:27 AM
bennjamin edit

*no sales on behalf of others.*

----------
before
--------
yes ive done it this week... my mate blew his engine in he's ed civic, now i hate dual carb standard engines because they have issues like tappet noises, and where built to break.. so i thort why not buy a low k d15b vtec engine, and since i dont wanna go throu the headake of installing wiring and ecu and injected fuel pump, i removed the injection and installed the carbs, of course i had to modify 2 holes to alline. once done and fitted the engine i also had to consider a electric carb fuel pump because the factory one is manual fuel pump but the vtec engine doesnt have a space for the manual pump so i installed a electric pump via relays and so on. then i also had to construct a return system after the pump so the pressure wouldnt go to much on the carbs. then i thort whats gonna enable the vtec? well i was searching throu jaycar and bought a cool three light gear changer alert for like 30 dollars. so i bought this circuit and built it, then modifying it to run a relay to activate the vtec. then ajusted the circuit so i can allow vtec to kkick in at 4800rpm.

now the car starts very quickly and everything was a sucess, when you hit 4800rpm it quickly revs upto 8rpm, and since theres no cutout, the thing clocks the rpm on the dash... so i would say for a dual carb, it would be the fastest one there for simple yet effective conversions. estamated power {dual carb setup =126hp/ stock 92hp} vs injected setup {gli 100hp /vti 130hp}

some picshttp://tnttec.net/honda/PIC_0029.JPG
http://tnttec.net/honda/PIC_0032.JPG
http://tnttec.net/honda/PIC_0034.JPG
http://tnttec.net/honda/DSC00011.JPG
http://tnttec.net/honda/DSC00012.JPG
click here for the movie with the engine running past 8000rpm on carbs with the vtec three light controller. (you need quicktime to play it) download it for free from quicktime.com 300kb (http://tnttec.net/honda/MOV00004.3gp)

V-techWhore
21-09-2005, 12:35 AM
punctuation & grammar - use it.

MrJDMCivic
21-09-2005, 12:39 AM
punctuation & grammar - use it because v-tech mums a whore..
get a life you seriously shouldnt talk about your self like that. :wave:

iamhappy46
21-09-2005, 04:44 PM
And you tuned the carbs to suit the VTEC air flow right??
Me thinks you would get about 100Hp as the ECU under your paasenger carpet would not know what to do. The 30hp increase would be attributed to the fact the old motor had low compression/****ed bearings/burnt valves/rings/etc
Still an achievement in itself tho...

Weq
21-09-2005, 05:22 PM
man thats sweet. more info??
defintly post some pics. so u just used a vtec head or u swapped longblocks and just used the carby intake manifold?

h22a accord
21-09-2005, 05:28 PM
i like the part where u build your own circuit to actiavte VTEC ! Bush mechanics at its best!

michael_antoi
21-09-2005, 06:56 PM
thats crazy man....got pics ?

KB
21-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I love this.

Carb TAK!!!!

Ultimate Ghetto Speck. I wanna see this with intake headers and exhaust and Crower stage 3 vtec cam, and clutch and flywheel and JDM d15b LSD.

Pics

ECU-MAN
21-09-2005, 11:33 PM
buddy I disagree with your 1st post,

Honda Dual carb engines where not built to blow, Honda build the finest engines from there competitors,

drive your new d15b vtec engine the way you drove the old engine it to will blow,
there also are alot of factors like how many k's are on the engine.

show up some pics of your new setup, sounds interesting,

MrJDMCivic
22-09-2005, 12:21 AM
ill get pics up tommorrow, as for the vtec engine when compaired side by side to the standard carb engine you take notice that there are many shortcuts in the dual carb engine, like one it has less bolts holding the dual carbs to the head, and dont forget that the carbs are heavyer than the injected manifold, so they wernt really thinking about quality, and another thing is all the dual carb engines ive come across seem to die/leak oil/have tappet issues, and so on, where a low km nice sohc vtec engine is in top shape, if people here have a dual carb eg, the only differences are drilling holes in the carb manifold to fit, and putting a electric fuel pump/return sytem and vtec controllr, but for the ed 87-91 people they need to modify the drivers mount because the older engines have a different mounting spot to the newer eg versions. the other good thing about the carbs is because its not injection it will put the air/fuel ratio right... where as in a ecu is locked to its type of engine and to put more fuel you have to change the fuel map inside the ecu... even thow i like injected cars better, its still a simple way of extracting more power while having a clean non leaking oil engine...at 128hp... oh and by the way, i have 17in on with wide tred, thinking it will never rip a 2nd which i was right when i didnt install the vtec controller, but when i installed it, the thing rips 2nds. and this is with 17in, not standard 14in wheels. so its preety good for a carby.

Lukezen27
22-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Man that's a wicked

Mes likes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MrJDMCivic
22-09-2005, 10:14 PM
pics are up

Nightrider
23-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Jeez thats Rad!!!!
I thought that this hybrid couldn't be done. Now I wish i'd hung onto my old CRX with its D15B and followed your lead. Any chance you will take it down the 1/4?...

MrJDMCivic
23-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Jeez thats Rad!!!!
I thought that this hybrid couldn't be done. Now I wish i'd hung onto my old CRX with its D15B and followed your lead. Any chance you will take it down the 1/4?...

nah. just wanted the car to drive again and faster, its not the best thing like b18c or what ever. but its the fastest carb car out there,. i beat 100kw 4age twincams

Weq
23-09-2005, 05:21 PM
so its a d16y1 long block with caby injection? got pics of ur return setup? like ur work.

MrJDMCivic
23-09-2005, 07:33 PM
yep ill post all the pics on soon

civ_sik
23-09-2005, 07:51 PM
waste of time in my opinion.

iamhappy46
23-09-2005, 11:23 PM
ill get pics up tommorrow, as for the vtec engine when compaired side by side to the standard carb engine you take notice that there are many shortcuts in the dual carb engine, like one it has less bolts holding the dual carbs to the head, and dont forget that the carbs are heavyer than the injected manifold, so they wernt really thinking about quality, and another thing is all the dual carb engines ive come across seem to die/leak oil/have tappet issues, and so on, where a low km nice sohc vtec engine is in top shape, if people here have a dual carb eg, the only differences are drilling holes in the carb manifold to fit, and putting a electric fuel pump/return sytem and vtec controllr, but for the ed 87-91 people they need to modify the drivers mount because the older engines have a different mounting spot to the newer eg versions. the other good thing about the carbs is because its not injection it will put the air/fuel ratio right... where as in a ecu is locked to its type of engine and to put more fuel you have to change the fuel map inside the ecu... even thow i like injected cars better, its still a simple way of extracting more power while having a clean non leaking oil engine...at 128hp... oh and by the way, i have 17in on with wide tred, thinking it will never rip a 2nd which i was right when i didnt install the vtec controller, but when i installed it, the thing rips 2nds. and this is with 17in, not standard 14in wheels. so its preety good for a carby.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it does have an ECU. It is crude but uses that little black box for its MAP & IACV plus a bunch of other sh!t. Why else would it have an Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor??
Your ECU is located under the passenger floor carpet, behind a metal plate.
Your Carbies run rich but the MAP sensor & Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor use that little idle stepper motor mounted between the carbies to adjust air ratio.

waymad
24-09-2005, 07:36 AM
are u serious man u said that u dont want to waste time putting in and wiring up the fuel injection but u have stuffed around putting in dual carbys in my opinion this is the biggest joke and is making JDM HONDA a joke
GET A LIFE

crispy
24-09-2005, 10:43 AM
There sure are a lot of negative people here. The guy has done sumthing different and hes happy so why dont u leave it at that?
Good work, its very different!

Lukezen27
24-09-2005, 10:49 AM
There sure are a lot of negative people here. The guy has done sumthing different and hes happy so why dont u leave it at that?
Good work, its very different!

I second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOOLS

Excellent work mate and f**k the haters

michael_antoi
24-09-2005, 11:25 AM
are u serious man u said that u dont want to waste time putting in and wiring up the fuel injection but u have stuffed around putting in dual carbys in my opinion this is the biggest joke and is making JDM HONDA a joke
GET A LIFE

i dont think that comment was very apprpriate mate..

if there's something that u dont agree with that's fine, but telling him to GET A LIFE wont help anyone..

V-techWhore
24-09-2005, 11:36 AM
GET A LIFE

:thumbsup:

shagrath
24-09-2005, 11:08 PM
personally i would love to have the knowhow on doing this sorta stuff... and im just wondering if any of the ppl complaining know how to do it? if u do, then fine, u might understand the difficulties, but if u dont then what's there to complain about? you'll never have to do it yourself so.........

anyway, good stuff bro, id still prefer efi but im jealous of your skills

Parrott
24-09-2005, 11:53 PM
mad conversion yo.... whats with all these gay blokes dissing it... bit more interesting than "another" b series swap dontcha think

waymad
25-09-2005, 10:30 AM
mad conversion yo.... whats with all these gay blokes dissing it... bit more interesting than "another" b series swap dontcha think

What are going on about you would not know what you talking about mr 4 posts and iam dissing this conversion casue i have done carby to fuel injected conversion with the jdm engine and if any of you would know on how hard is it to do this plus have no loom and make a loom from nothing wiring every sensor in the engine bay to ecu one by one and have it all done in 2 days well come see me, and were people find things too hard and go down easy street by putting on carbys and on jdm engine which in facted your degrading jdm.

Lukezen27
25-09-2005, 11:00 AM
What are going on about you would not know what you talking about mr 4 posts and iam dissing this conversion casue i have done carby to fuel injected conversion with the jdm engine and if any of you would know on how hard is it to do this plus have no loom and make a loom from nothing wiring every sensor in the engine bay to ecu one by one and have it all done in 2 days well come see me, and were people find things too hard and go down easy street by putting on carbys and on jdm engine which in facted your degrading jdm.

Well you’re my HERO!!!!!!!!!!!

Tho last time I looked this was MrJDMCivic thread telling us about his conversion and not your thread telling us about your mate :rolleyes:

You should be supportive of other ppl’s mods whether or not you agree with em!!! :)

So start your own one titled “”How to do Conversions like a Hero”” and we many came read it :p :p :p

My 2C

LukeZen

Parrott
25-09-2005, 12:02 PM
so let me just get this right.... my opinion is all of a sudden "invalid" till i reach some mad bloke number of posts... you shouldnt really have a winge about how hard your conversion was mate... if you werent prepared to do it... why do it?... jdm bah the whole idea of d-series tuning cannot really be regarded as "jdm" just like your altezza's and chrome rims mate... eat a dick

if you think of going further with the project :D
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23877

lighty01
25-09-2005, 12:51 PM
AWSOM!! go the carbies!!!! good job mate.. gotta luv bush mechanics!! i hav more respect for pplz who are willing to be different and will do things themselves.. rather than paying some guy to do wat he likes to ur car.. great work buddie..

MrJDMCivic
25-09-2005, 07:23 PM
its up all the pics and the movie of the car on page 1.

MrJDMCivic
25-09-2005, 07:27 PM
i did two d15b carbys to injected conversions for two ed/eg civics and that was two years ago, but now i didnt want to go throu with riping out all the wiring and take for a extra 1hp. dual carbs are really good in responce to vtec, and i should know since ive done it. :wave:

Lukezen27
25-09-2005, 07:32 PM
i did two d15b carbys to injected conversions for two ed/eg civics and that was two years ago, but now i didnt want to go throu with riping out all the wiring and take for a extra 1hp. dual carbs are really good in responce to vtec, and i should know since ive done it. :wave:

what do you play the movie with?

MrJDMCivic
25-09-2005, 10:22 PM
what do you play the movie with? only works with quicktime cause i recorded it on my phone., just goto www.quicktime.com and goto get quicktime for free, type anything for a email and click download now., you;le get it , install it then you can go back to this website and click on my link at the first page, :wave:

Lukezen27
25-09-2005, 10:31 PM
only works with quicktime cause i recorded it on my phone., just goto www.quicktime.com (http://www.quicktime.com/) and goto get quicktime for free, type anything for a email and click download now., you;le get it , install it then you can go back to this website and click on my link at the first page, :wave:

Nan thx anyway but I hate quicktime

Over-rides to many other players i have installed

MrJDMCivic
25-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Nan thx anyway but I hate quicktime

Over-rides to many other players i have installed

lol, thats why when you install it, you turn off the option to overrides other players. i use winamp for my music,. windows media player to play my vids, and quick time only for formats that arnt supported.

Steer^Gimic
25-09-2005, 10:57 PM
GET A LIFE

firstly, well done on the little swap, good to see people going out of the norm and using your initiative. im sure it was well in the budget as well. :thumbsup:

and to waymad, you little tool, no body cares. if you dont have anything constructive to, S T F U! its not hard.

its in-compitent little c**ts like you that give this forum a bad name.

stick your b-series in your anus! negative little fu#k

:)

iamhappy46
26-09-2005, 08:42 PM
I have all praise for what you have achieved but I only question the 'power output' with the D15B4 twin carbs!
For one, when the VTEC kicks in, the ignition timing changes so what are you using to change the timing and make the 130Hp? That is why I really think that the increased compression and better motor(than a D15B4) is what your feeling. No doubt you have a VTEC rush but not as much as a properly setup EFI setup would yield.
Otherwise, it is a good swap.

jackosimm
26-09-2005, 08:51 PM
keep the flamming down people, not needed in these forums

Rufes1
27-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Thats interesting, I too am an ED owner.

Would love to see some dyno figures? Any chance of putting it on sometime soon?

Nightrider
27-09-2005, 04:14 PM
thumbed through my "Honda and Acura Performance" book last night.
There is a class of racers in the states that race carbed vtec Integra's.
so looks like vtec and carby can mix it on the race track too. :thumbsup:

Weq
27-09-2005, 04:19 PM
yeh ive heard of it before. Get some nice aftermarket cars on there.. webbers etc ;)

Lukezen27
27-09-2005, 05:58 PM
yeh ive heard of it before. Get some nice aftermarket cars on there.. webbers etc ;)

lol I used to have webbers on my old 1980 Auto MAZDA 323 Hatchie heheh

Use it go OK to :p

amurray
28-09-2005, 06:52 PM
hey guys, just wanna no does the D15b come as Dual carb, or is it EFI??

iamhappy46
28-09-2005, 08:17 PM
D15B comes as both
D15B4 is dual carb(ED) but D15B7 is EFI (EG)

amurray
28-09-2005, 08:27 PM
are they both Vtec?, like thats all i car about, should hav said earlyer

michael_antoi
28-09-2005, 09:11 PM
neither are Vtec.

sivic
28-09-2005, 09:31 PM
the engine in discussion is D15B SOHC VTEC. found in VTi's delivered in asian markets

iamhappy46
28-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda Ferio VXi as well

MrJDMCivic
29-11-2005, 02:35 PM
bennjamin. i own the vtec engine and the conversion of this car,. thus making the car half mine, and im selling it on my behalf to get my money out of this engine and conversion.

bennjamin
29-11-2005, 03:19 PM
it is his car ~ regardless of work put into it.
If he wants to sell , he has the right to to sign up , earn member status then sell it.

Otherwise , please keep any advertisement out of the CIVIC section and also out of ozhonda.

MrJDMCivic
29-11-2005, 08:01 PM
yea, but the car is actually half mine. and since the guy doesnt know howto use the net. im doing that for him. as i want to get paided for my effort and work and parts i spent money on. besides that he has agreed with me that we both own the car after the conversion. so no one besides him or me is to say that it isnt my car.

bennjamin
29-11-2005, 08:56 PM
since you insist on changing the purpose of this thread , I am closing it since no further discussion is needed.

Work it out with your friend - once your name is on the rego paper then you are able to sell it on this site - anything else ( on behalf of etc) is not allowed.

Try www.tradingpost.com.au www.carsales.com.au etc etc etc - good luck.