PDA

View Full Version : engine conversion

91civic
28-02-2004, 10:06 PM
aye guys, if im looking to put a...i dunno vtec 2.0l engine into my civic, is there anything that i need to change? like for example if i had a turbo i would change fuel pump, brakes etc, if it NA to NA is there nythin that needs, to be done...

cheers

oh yer i drive a 91 ED civic 4dr

Setanta
28-02-2004, 10:28 PM
You are going from carb to EFI - FI fuel pump and surge tank are a minimum.

Brakes have to be done too - the EDs are tiny to their brother EE8/9 and EF8/9s.

Likewise driveshafts, engine mounts, radiator - the list goes on.

NA->NA the ED brakes are good for 100bhp - thats it.

Rowie
28-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Also, try doing a search on the forums. There is lots of information already on the forums for your question.

The search button is located 3rd link at the top of your screen.

Or Click Here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/search.php

91civic
28-02-2004, 11:16 PM
ok yer, i thought my car was EFI? fuel injected, or is it dual carb? i think actually its dual carb cos i have a dual carborator....

but will have look...

Toby
28-02-2004, 11:39 PM
ok yer, i thought my car was EFI? fuel injected, or is it dual carb? i think actually its dual carb cos i have a dual carborator....

but will have look...

:shock:
are you female?? dont worry about engine conversions if you dont even know if your car is carb or FI! :roll:

Rowie
29-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Your car is Dual Carby from the pics in your gallery :D

McChook
29-02-2004, 12:51 AM
AAAAHAHAHAHA
Dude, go hang out on Hot4s's forum - j/k

in all seriousness, do a lot of research before ou post a topic on here you don't knw anything about - you will get owned, abused and assraped

w_civic
29-02-2004, 03:31 AM
why u need research while u can actually post it here :)

Setanta
29-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Actually - it's valid to ask the question here because the majority of ED -> ZC/B16A etc swaps are done is the US - and they already have FI in their EDs. So they don't need to upgrade unless they are only running dual point injection in the DX, not the multipoint the Si etc ran. Also, if you look at the Haynes manuals etc that are on the market here - not one of them covers the twin-carb engine which we got - which makes it 80% useless.

Yes 91civic, it's a twin-carb and doesn't run any of the FI ancilleries - you will need to go aftermarket with them. Getting second-hand ones from the Euro or Japanese markets is pointless in terms of reliability.

However - the swap is do-able - one of the guys at Honbits wreckers did it with his 4 door. He went to a ZC motor.

Toby
29-02-2004, 11:07 AM
However - the swap is do-able - one of the guys at Honbits wreckers did it with his 4 door. He went to a ZC motor.

Did he make a "How To" out of it?? kuz that would be a good thing to get hold of and post up on the site here :D

[[d a n n y]]
29-02-2004, 12:48 PM
man there's alot of wiring involved in chanigne the carby to a EFI

send it off to a work shop..

91civic
29-02-2004, 02:15 PM
yer dont worry i wont be doing it, but all looks to mauch hassel n time n money, i will prob just keep saving...

Setanta
29-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Find an imported EF instead :)

McChook
01-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Find an imported EF instead :)
I think it is easier to do the wiring yourself!!!!

Having helped in the wiriring process, it is a few hundred hours worth of work... did an EG Breeze with an H22 - NEVER AGAIN

AUSVTEC
01-03-2004, 07:57 AM
If you do have a carbie engine i hope you have saveed up more than 5grand to do this properly.
It is an expensive and long conversion if you go bigger than a B16A,

Toby
01-03-2004, 03:29 PM
is it alot less work when going from FI to FI??

[[d a n n y]]
01-03-2004, 03:33 PM
EFI? u mean ?

Setanta
01-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Of course it is - ll the FI stuff is on the car ready to go :)

CAT_SPEW
01-03-2004, 06:26 PM
I never thought there was that much work in the going from carby to EFI?
What sort of difficulties are you all talking about?

tanghy
01-03-2004, 07:32 PM
wiring
ecu

CAT_SPEW
01-03-2004, 07:43 PM
What exactly do you mean when you say just wiring and ecu?
Are you just talking about plugging them in? Because thats pretty straight forward I'm guessing?

Toby
01-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Are you just talking about plugging them in? Because thats pretty straight forward I'm guessing?

well carbie cars dont have computer, no comp = no wiring and no place to just "plug it in". so you have to add all of that in.

CAT_SPEW
01-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Aww okai, I though mine did have a computer lol. Well I found what looked to be a computer on the floor under the carpet on the passenger side. Anyway, I will be getting the ECU and wiring with my half-cut so I guess all I need to hink about is getting the wiring through the firewall and the tank and new lines hooked up right?

[[d a n n y]]
02-03-2004, 09:03 AM

well carbie cars dont have computer, no comp = no wiring and no place to just "plug it in". so you have to add all of that in.

nah...carby cars have ecu but they r much simpilar than the EG5 or any EFIed cars

and wiring and the ECU..CAT SPEW as i told u b4 just ransfer everything off the other car into your car..

and..dont forget to get a surge tank or a EFI fule tank off a EG civic..

tinkerbell
02-03-2004, 03:01 PM
rewiring a carbie car to EFI is not that hard - i put a B16A into my 1983 Prelude and it only took about 20 hours of disecting the wiring harness and retaping the new loom to get it teh wiring sorted...

i did have the factory service manuals to help me out though...

it is not really that hard...

however it is MUCH easier if you find a EFI front cut that matches your vehicle... :)

CAT_SPEW
02-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Yeh thats what I was thinking, I am getting the whole front-cut so it shouldn't be very hard. Basically just swapping the parts straight into mine I would think.
I am going to be getting a surge tank from some other car, my dad will be sorting that out.
But I'll give use a yell if I run into any probs anyway :D

[[d a n n y]]
02-03-2004, 05:39 PM
fuel tank not surge tank...surge tank is an add on

bennjamin
02-03-2004, 05:49 PM
]]fuel tank not surge tank...surge tank is an add on

Danny - can u explain to us What a surge tank does matey ?

CAT_SPEW
02-03-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm not familiar with what a surge tank is, but from what I know I think it is something that you can add on externally to an existing non-EFI tank so that it can be made to work with EFI. Instead of buying a whole new tank.

Anyone clarify this?

tinkerbell
03-03-2004, 09:01 AM
it is filled up with fuel by a lift pump and the high pressure pump is supplied by it.

the high pressure pump is fed from the bottom of the surge tank so it alwasy has fuel - especailly when cornering hard.

it is really only necessary in circut cars to prevent fuel starvation

i have an in engine bay surge tank with internal high pressure pump for sale to suit any carbied conversion for $500

i know alot about EFI fuel systesm to and can help you guys design an appropriate system for any carbied conversion...

but is is much easier to swap to a EFI fuel tank if possible ;)

Setanta
03-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Difficult to find a ED 4door with EFi though Tink - they didn't come out in Australia :?

However they did come out in Japan - although I think it may have only been the 4door AWD varient that got it - will do some research on it :)

tinkerbell
03-03-2004, 10:20 AM
is this thread about ED civics?

tinkerbell
03-03-2004, 10:21 AM
damn - it is too!

i thought it was about engine conversions, LOL!

crossbred banna cow
07-03-2004, 09:10 PM
dude just goto www.civic4g.com if ya wanna find out wat they came out with, the got dual carbs for 88 ones and then after that u could choose to buy a single carb or efi, if u put a b16 in it its a hole new engine so it shouldnt matter wat u got in it at the moment

Setanta
07-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Feel free to speak English when you post - I have read yours 3 times now and I can barely make out what you mean :?

BTW - why the **** whould you drop a single carb in?

Oh and FYI: civic4G mostly covers the USDM 4th gens - and the engines are difficult to source. The euro spec motors listed there are equally difficult to source. It's easier to get the JDM ZC or B16 than to source the euro equivilent (which we didn't get.

crossbred banna cow
08-03-2004, 04:39 PM
im not saying that anyone would want to put a single carb in one u dumb ****, just saying they were realised with the single carb ones. i think u need to take a chill pill, do u come on to forums to give people shit or to help them?

tinkerbell
09-03-2004, 08:59 AM
he comes on forums to give people shit... LOL!

dont worry - you made sense to me crossbred banana cow...

[[d a n n y]]
09-03-2004, 09:31 AM
hey man what's wrong with single carbs?

they r the bomb....

*cough cough breeze *

madgrk
09-03-2004, 09:56 AM
im not saying that anyone would want to put a single carb in one u dumb f*ck, just saying they were realised with the single carb ones. i think u need to take a chill pill, do u come on to forums to give people shit or to help them?

I think I speak for everyone else in saying that, by judging your lack of posts (i.e 4 at this present stage) I think I can be confident in saying that YOU need to refrain from abusing fellow members with a LOT more information than yourself. Setanta has given a lot of information to all of us, and you're pathetic abuse to him isn't liked very much.

So YOU take a chill pill, and learn how to argue with someone without referring to them as a part of the female anatomy :)

[[d a n n y]]
09-03-2004, 10:34 AM
PETE U GOT A FAN....lolz

by the way the topic isnt which engine the civics came from it's
what engine can b fitted in a ED 4DR

91civic
11-03-2004, 07:12 PM
thanks guys, to mcuh hassle but, gettin my new car in 3 weeks,

thanks for the info nyways