PDA

View Full Version : DC5's with Tein SS Help Me!

MrPlow
21-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Hey guys,

Im about to buy my friend a set of Tein SS coilovers for his dc5r. His had some coilover problems with some cheap ones he got and his not very happy.

Basically I wanna buy him a decent set, im looking at the Tein SS, anyone have any pictures of these installed on a dc5? anyone have or know anyone who have these on there dc5 and can give me some first hand feedback? how low can they go? are these a great allround coilover - his not into track or drag - just cruising, he also has 19s, so we trying to get the gaurd over the rim - or at least to cover most of the tyre...

Also - do these make noise? apprently alot of coilovers make a 'clunk' noise when turning or something?

Any help would be great befor i order them, thanks!

TeMp
21-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I didn't take any pics during installation...

They are a good set of coilovers for road/ semi track use, as they can be set to be just as comfy as stock and road hard for track... for specs go here http://tein.com/ti/inst/2a28u.pdf

I do not have any clucking noises when I turn...

kousoku
21-09-2005, 06:16 PM
hey mr plow you want to be my friend too?

i can't remeber where i saw it, just searched then but i remeber last night i was having a look at tien ss and i found a web site which had all the tein range on a dc5r, so it showed how low it was ect.

try application list for tein.

sorry i can't be more helpful

stevent
21-09-2005, 07:10 PM
thats nice of you dude

V-techWhore
21-09-2005, 07:15 PM
19s hmmmm

Not sure if SS would be a good choice.

Dont think they are heght adjustable, correct me if im wrong.

But 19s, might be a bit tricky to find decent coil overs for that size of rims.

TeMp
21-09-2005, 07:20 PM
19s hmmmm

Not sure if SS would be a good choice.

Dont think they are heght adjustable, correct me if im wrong.

But 19s, might be a bit tricky to find decent coil overs for that size of rims.

They are fully height and dampner adjustable.

MrPlow
21-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Coilovers that arn't height adjustable, are there such things that are commen?

So you think the tein SS wont be good, what coilover do you guy suggest then? I really dont wanna buy them and then his not happy with them...

TeMp
21-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Honestly, if I had the money I would of went DMS. But thats like in the 3k zone.

You have HKS Hypermax II for 2,500

Then you have Tein SS for about 1,900.

SS is the best bang for the buck option but personally the standard springs it comes with is a bit soft which is why alot of people change it to Swift springs.

Suspenion can be a personal thing and it will really depend on what your friend perfers/likes. It is best for him to sit in cars with the sussy you are looking for so there will be no regrets because it is nearly a 2 grand mod.

MrPlow
21-09-2005, 10:16 PM
The main aims are that the car can sit low - and a decent ride quality still there...

we not worried baout track drag or any racing application, just daily driving and looks!!!

its look like tein ss can only go 60mm drop which is fuuck all... are there any coilovers which go lower!

kousoku
21-09-2005, 10:34 PM
if its mainly looks and street driving and you are not going to track the car, go with upgraded shocks and springs.

bilstien / eibach combo
or
koni / eibach, i would recommend those two, also should be cheaper then tien ss and more comfortable.

FunkyR
21-09-2005, 10:59 PM
The only disadvantage of the SS is that the spring rate is not pre-load adjustable - ie the shocks will get slightly shorten as you lower the car vs the Tein Flex that has seperate spring and shock adjustability.

Unless u track the car really often wouldnt make all that much difference....

MrPlow
22-09-2005, 11:10 AM
I spoke to him about the tein- he says his okay with a 60mm drop but i know once they installed he will want to go lower?

is there a way to get the springs in the coilovers changed to a lower setup? or a why of getting them mechined?

sesshoumaru
22-09-2005, 11:13 AM
if you want to slam your car you're better off getting a coilover sleeve/shock setup...

FunkyR
22-09-2005, 11:28 AM
if you want to slam your car you're better off getting a coilover sleeve/shock setup...

lol and not buy a type R... ;)

MrPlow
22-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeh well try tell my thick-headed mate this - I told him these cars are not built for 19s....

But thats what he wants to do so thats what im going to try achieve for him....

I look into these sleeves...

see this is a nice height which i think he will be happy with- but ultimatly he wants to go alittle lower to accomadate the 19s:

http://www.rsx-s.com/pics/gallery/dc5.jpg

FunkyR
22-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Mmmm I cringe when I see a DC5R with 18" chromies....

nisi
22-09-2005, 11:18 PM
please not the chrome

blksin
23-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Mmmm I cringe when I see a DC5R with 18" chromies....

I 2nd that :o

bennjamin
23-09-2005, 06:19 PM
moved to the suspension forum...

BTW whats wrong with Tein SS's guys ? Im sure they are fine for "dumping" and better than other "budget coilovers" ?

wynode
23-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Is coilovers a must?

Reason I ask is becuase if he goes for springs and shocks, he can try lowe spring if he isn't happy with the height ?

spetz
17-10-2005, 10:30 PM
I got Fulcrum coilovers in my car...
I never had them sitting at their lowest point... because my car would sit on the ground with the wheels suspended in the air...

And they are quite good comfort wise too. If he just wants to go low I wouldn't go past these for sure