PDA

View Full Version : Greddy turbo kit

bside
21-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi guys,

im a newbie to OH, so please no flaming.
Im thinking of getting a turbo kit (bet you've heard this a 1092398304983 times), i was wondering is it worth putting one on?

I have an Integra 98 gsi.
I read the FAQ on "OH" about boosting up a GSI, but I would like to know once I have a turbo kit, what else is involved? e.g heavy duty clutch, extractors, pistons, pod filter etc? will i need to upgrade these as well?
i just don't want my car blown up to bits later down the track.

blubber
21-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I nearly bought one off AVO (not Greddy kit) --> they are very helpful. I pulled out when I heard a fellow member had problems with his set-up.

You in Melbourne?

bside
21-09-2005, 10:40 PM
whats AVO? what happened to your mates one?
what mods did you have to do once your kit was installed?

Tofu
21-09-2005, 10:44 PM
AVO makes their own turbo kits for the integra

bside
21-09-2005, 10:49 PM
oh ok!
can someone read my post, and give me some feed back.

jdmlvn
21-09-2005, 10:56 PM
well yes..its been done before and yes they have been sucessful.
G-reddy makes good products.
soon Qball will read this thread and give you quotes bcuz he has a dc4t.

bside
21-09-2005, 11:02 PM
how much will pistons set me back? do i have to change my clutch?
what are extractors?
excuse the noob questions.

wynode
21-09-2005, 11:31 PM
how much will pistons set me back? do i have to change my clutch?
what are extractors?
excuse the noob questions.
Don't mean to be rude but search as we will not spoon feed you.

ECU-MAN
21-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Don't mean to be rude but search as we will not spoon feed you.

yeah dude, what Wyn said,

you can boost your stock motor, if you run 8-10psi max, ( not sure on the stock gsi, you might get more )

you need to consider, injectors, ecu, tuning, FMIC, stuff like that

bside
22-09-2005, 12:17 AM
ok sure thing, will look around more.
if anyones has more ideas to look around, be much appreciated.

tRipitaka
22-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I nearly bought one off AVO (not Greddy kit) --> they are very helpful. I pulled out when I heard a fellow member had problems with his set-up.

You in Melbourne?
what happened to the AVO kit ?

locote
22-09-2005, 02:27 PM
i got my gsi with the goal of goin turbo but looking at the overall cost and the added cost got get more power just looked to me like i could spend that same money and buy something newer and more powerfull stock with out havng to go FI,
plus i lost my lisence for 3 months.

GSI-PSI
22-09-2005, 05:21 PM

You in Melbourne?

Hmm i hope ya not talkin about meeeee. All i can say is compare the prices and go the cheaper option cos they are both very similar kits. I have had no problems with my kit.

bside
22-09-2005, 07:09 PM
what kit did you use?

GSI-PSI
23-09-2005, 06:07 PM
AVO kit and had no dramas with it

TECBOY
25-09-2005, 01:56 AM
send a pm to Qball.
he will help ya out man.
and yes.. it is worth to turbo the gsi however reliability relies on the curent state of ur engine and the installer/tuner so go to a reputable workshop.
and u will definately need a new clutch :)

bside
25-09-2005, 10:56 AM
thanks for the info TECBOY. Ill have a look more into it. :)

blubber
25-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Hmm i hope ya not talkin about meeeee. All i can say is compare the prices and go the cheaper option cos they are both very similar kits. I have had no problems with my kit.

lol, yeah I wimped out at the last minute cos I wouldn't be able to afford it if my engine blew :o

When I spoke to AVO though they said they had no problems with the Integra kits so yeah :thumbsup:

wynode
25-09-2005, 09:48 PM
How much boost does the AVO kit provide ?

Q_ball
25-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi guys,

im a newbie to OH, so please no flaming.
Im thinking of getting a turbo kit (bet you've heard this a 1092398304983 times), i was wondering is it worth putting one on?

I have an Integra 98 gsi.
I read the FAQ on "OH" about boosting up a GSI, but I would like to know once I have a turbo kit, what else is involved? e.g heavy duty clutch, extractors, pistons, pod filter etc? will i need to upgrade these as well?
i just don't want my car blown up to bits later down the track.

u can put a bolt on turb kit on a stock gsi engine no probs and pull some great times down the 1/4, as well as some good power figures.
thing is, if u do so, even though some ppl will say u can run 8-10psi all day everyday, i still wouldnt run more than say 6psi on stock internals. ive jst known one too many ppl that have boosted their car up that tad bit too much and the result has been a blown motor.
the way i see it is if u install a turb kit, u should base ur decision on the state of the engine, running something thats safe for it, that wont blow it up.
doin internal work such as pistons, rods, bearings etc will definately put ur mind at ease as u know that the engine will be able to handle the pressure successfully.
if u aint gona go crazy for power, then an AVO kit or similar running about 6psi on stock internals should do u very well as both ur weekend and everyday driver :)

locote
25-09-2005, 10:06 PM
ill be goin down the greddy road but the inclusion of the e-manage makes it realy tunable.
the kit has everyhting minus the frontmount

blubber
26-09-2005, 03:15 PM
where you get the greddy kit from?

bside
26-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Qball: thanks for the reply. i thought i would change alot of the internals, once the kit is mounted. but if I could run stock for a while, then thats more then good enough, well at least for now.
The ppl you know who have blown their motor, how much rpms did they go up to before it blew? and what gear?

DLO01
26-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Qball: thanks for the reply. i thought i would change alot of the internals, once the kit is mounted. but if I could run stock for a while, then thats more then good enough, well at least for now.
The ppl you know who have blown their motor, how much rpms did they go up to before it blew? and what gear?
A kit is good with stock internals. If you going to get stronger internals your opening the door for some awsome power where your off the shelf kit will then be limiting you. If your going to do your internals you might as well get a custom set-up and you'll get a lot more out of you worked motor. If you happy with just a kit I would keep the motor stock.

Rpms don't blow your motor, heat and detonation will. :thumbsup:

LVNIT
26-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Read these articles champ

Guide to turboing your Honda
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Forced induction FAQ
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1024174

Turbo honda fact sheet
http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/turbo.html

Search the honda-tech forums
www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com)

If you just want to make some nice power over stock you do not need to do internals, a new clutch will be needed, you dont use extractors with a turbo conversion as the turbo manifold takes their place, I think that answers what you asked :)

There is a thread on honda-tech dedicated to GSI turbos and there are countless amounts of people boosting them with no problems and making 200 whp and knocking off 13 second passes..

The AVO kit would be a great place to start IF all you want to do is run on stock internals and make some nice power.

Really you need to research as much as you can, talk to people, ask questions..

Ben