PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty clutch

spothe
22-09-2005, 08:43 AM
my car is finally going to be changed to manual by charlie at good performance. but he recommended me to put in a "SLIGHTLY" heavy duty clutch rather than the stock one because of feedback reasons he had before.

i know the concept of driving a manual but then my friend said a heavy clutch makes the driving trip alot more effort and cannot be as laid back. charlie said the clutch is only more slightly heavy duty. so im just wondering what are the pros and cons of normal and heavy duty clutches?

bennjamin
22-09-2005, 08:48 AM
for your car - i think he meant to get a exedy Heavy duty full face clutch - that is , it is a stock clutch disc , BUT the pressure plate is a certain amount heavier clamping pressure. IT will translate to slightly heavier pedal feel and more torque transfer apparently. Great for the street :)

sydteg21
22-09-2005, 10:05 AM
hi how much it costs to convert to a manual man???

bennjamin
22-09-2005, 12:08 PM
hi how much it costs to convert to a manual man???

u need the entire manual gearbox , shift linkage , new brake pedal + clutch slave cylinder/pedal OR cable setup , plus hydraulic lines IF its a hydro clutch.

my guess , woudl be about $1k not includign installation... ?

DHOCHKG
22-09-2005, 12:19 PM
more than 1k..!i think qround 1.5K - 2K inc installation..!
i did once on my last car..(180sx) Parts are everywhere
still getting fix for 1700 wiv heavy duty clutch..!
and i think honda part cost more..?!
am i rite..?

SKREMN
22-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Charlie did my car, initially we put in a daikin/exedy Heavy duty button clutch but i was thinking too big
I ended up downgrading two weeks later to a daikin Heavy duty singel plate
This clutch is very easy to drive with
I miss the grabbing power of the button but its way too uncomfotable especially with a lightend flywheel

spothe
22-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Charlie is doing mine this week, he just quoted me a heavy duty clutch that is $350

I asked if it was a real heavy duty one, he said its just a little bit heavier than the stock one and he recommends over it.

Im scared the clutch would be too heavy, should i just tell him a normal stock clutch would do, ill be a newbie manual driver

Eclipsor
23-09-2005, 12:08 AM
I think in the long run you will appreciate the hd clutch. I don't really think it will be much, if any, harder to learn on and once you've mastered it you'll never look back.

wynode
23-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Shouldn't be too bad. We are thankful that most of our Honda Trannys use a hydraulic clutch so its much softer than other cars that have a cable clutch!

00' coupe
23-09-2005, 01:15 AM
you should be sweet... its just a little harder and i dont think its gonna hamper your learning efforts anyways...
as someone posted youll definitely appreciate it in the long run

EK Civic R
23-09-2005, 07:12 AM
I got Excedy Sports Organic Clutch...
It costs a little more, but the grip is real good and the pedal feel is not much difference from the standard clutch...

Sitwy
23-09-2005, 10:46 PM
I got a quote. Exedy organic clutch is only $50 more than Exedy HD clutch
are they really can feel the different!

n/a
25-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Shouldn't be too bad. We are thankful that most of our Honda Trannys use a hydraulic clutch so its much softer than other cars that have a cable clutch!

is that why my EF3 seems like it's biting every gear?

btw, HD clutches arent that hard at all, only when you upgrade to a brass button + you'll be pushing alot harder every gear shift. just sounds like someones scared :D

mini_s2000
25-09-2005, 10:29 PM
i've just had my excedy clutch installed and it feels great! i changed it from a brass button clutch because it was a hassel to drive everyday...

mini_s2000
25-09-2005, 10:32 PM
btw, it's a organic excedy that i have in now!

pgclee
25-09-2005, 10:57 PM
get a OS Giken...if you wanna tone up your muscle...hehe...
I like 3 puck Metalic clutch...nice..and fun...haha...

Steer^Gimic
25-09-2005, 11:02 PM
get a OS Giken...if you wanna tone up your muscle...hehe...
I like 3 puck Metalic clutch...nice..and fun...haha...

you must have a left leg like a wrestler, and a right leg like a chicken :p

insouciant
26-09-2005, 12:32 AM
got my exedy heavy duty installed yesterday for my ek
the clutch pedal feel is actually softer than stock for some reason, doesn't have that quick flick back that it used to have on the stock clutch

Snoop_gee
26-09-2005, 01:31 AM
has any1 tried "Exedy Carbon Hyper single (flywheel & clutch kit)" is the driveability comfortable or the opersite?

94CIVICVTI
13-10-2005, 02:52 PM
hey dude. i got a excedy heavy duty for my 94 civic vti...
let me tell you they are well worth it and once you get used to your new manual you'll regret not getting it, like one of the guys said, its not much more than standard, only around an extra $150...

in terms of pedal feel, i was told aswell from alot of people that it would be harder, it wasnt AT ALL, felt a little springier and engage point was a little more sharper, takes some time getting used to smooth engaging off first gear, little jerky at times. but hell they grab well through gears, one of the best mods i could have ever done! decent chiirpys through first and second aswell ;)

roar
16-10-2005, 08:44 PM
at first the clutch pedal will seem very light...

however, give it a 1000km or so and it will become a little more heavy as the clutch is worn in

i put a exedy hd in my ek4 a few weeks ago...its no harder to drive over stock in my opinion and the bite is significantly better

iamhappy46
17-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I have a broken left ankle with no signs of it getting better any time soon, so clutches are a big thing for me. Exedy actually told me that they change the pivot points of the pressure plate to make a Heavy Duty Clutch either the same or lighter to use with increased clamping pressure.
I have a HD in my SSS pulsar and it handles 200+Kw at the flywheel and never slipped once with 15,000Km's of hard driving under its belt, including hill climb & track days.
We just took delivery of a Sports Organic Clutch kit for the VTEC converted ED Civic and apparently, this is even better than the Heavy Duty. Will let you know what I think in a couple of days.