PDA

View Full Version : Our experience of the CRV 2005 model, black.

Keepleft
23-09-2005, 01:25 PM
G/F has a 2005 CRV Sports, manual and black in colour. A few items of note for readers and potential buyers:-

* Traction is improved over 04.

* DO purchase the polycarbonate bonnet protector and headlight protector items. Despite what some folk say (including some sales staff) the plastic headlights can be damaged and pitted over time, naturally, we get this with glass too as some have delightfully experienced!!!

At this point Honda do not stock front fog light protector covers, these lights too are a plastic lens unit, and being low down, are far more vulnerable to surface pitting and damage than the headlights. Honda would do well to stock this item. Indeed, any fog light on any make should be so protected, such items are costly to replace.

* The rear tailgate 'floor' is removable, it turns into a damned fine picnic table complete with folding legs, not bad at all. The 'area' it covers contains a very usable storage loaction, which by shape alone, one can see was originally used, or could be, for a spare tyre, this gives you an idea as to the underfloor storage space at this spot. The spare is naturally kept by the factory under the car.

I have a fire extinguisher placed in this underfloor storage area. The Owner manual and warranty book folder can be kept strapped in the rear compartment on the passenger side with the provided straps.

NB - Front seats have reading material storage, and the manual has cup holders all round the place, ditto the Auto.

* The rear tailgate-door contains further usefull storage spots. Here, I keep snugly a BMW sourced 'Euro' warning triangle (BMW Spare Part Number 7160 1095 457) which like all Euro/World triangles, that I recommend as a mandatory item, has its own plastic storage case. This space will fit happily the warning triangle device highlighted and those mentioned in in my Signature!

The same spot also carries in addition the first aid kit and vest.

She, the Minister for War, compared this vehicle with the RAV4 and a couple of other products, but the CRV Sports won her over, quite easily in fact.

* Vehicle is comfortable as is, but she is adding all round custom fitted sheep or lambswool covers through a place based at Tempe down in the evil city of Sydney. Taking note of the side air-bag locations.

* She chose to date, insofar as factory options: weathershields all side glass, the protectors mentioned, side steps, the 'chrome' look side mirror covers. Driver and passenger rubberised mats.

NB - Replaced the standard front fog light, parker/sidelights, and the low beam bulbs with Narva 'Arctic Blue' - E coded products. The 'inboard' driving lamp portions however are fitted with Narva's PLUS 50 bulbs (recommended). This gives a uniform look for approaching traffic when she is on low, park and or front fog.

She is to add; - a black alloy bull bar ('Midi Tube bar'- http://www.ecb.com.au/model/HondaCVR.htm ) to delight Harold and owing the regular roo visitors in this region, over the factory part item (which on viewing, we would recommend for primarily city based vehicles). To this bar will be fitted E-Code driving lights to supplement high-beam, a UHF CB ground independent aerial. Inside - a UHF CB, likely the Uniden unit which carries a GPRS for fixed camera and blackspot warning, the factory rear cargo rubberised mat and cargo barrier to restrain starving black labradore. Also, the factory wing and rear door mirror. She studies the prospect of changing the factory sound system to something more adventurous - a DVD type item etc.

* Rear tail lamp: At the very bottom portion of the driver side unit I've added, having found its true 'focal point', a P21watt bulb. This is a 'dummy' compartment in the Australian market for some god unknown reason, but which bears E-Code/world uniformity (F00) - for a 'REAR FOG LAMP' function on its lens. It is now connected. I used a 3-pole Narva sourced yellow LED switch, the power 'feed' is taken from the front fog light positive.

She now has this protection under low visibility conditions. Honda would do well to standardise these often mis-used lights and I would seriously push them in this direction. Nothing more negligent than a dummy rear fog lamp under serious fog, rain, bushfire smoke conditions or when on a gravel road. I had contacted Honda UK to obtain their respective driver side rear lamp part number (actually not all that costly) to save myself having to find that focal point, but the operation on the domestic lamp was a bright success and my import requirement unneeded.

Overall, the vehicle is certainly worthwhile, high fit and finish and a satisfied young lady customer. She will keep and pay it out over the year and might then purchase the MDX, she shall see.

nexace
23-09-2005, 01:42 PM
:thumbsup:

A great first post and welcome! :wave:

Any issues with fuel consumption?

Keepleft
23-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Not really, though like everyone else - we'd like to pay less. Answered another thread regarding this asking re conversion to LPG.....

She treads lightly, that sort of thing. That said, Miss Kim's previous car was a 2004 Toyota Echo, in 7 months since new she got to 17,000 kilometres, paid it off then traded up to the CRV-S which she is careful about insofar as keeping distance down. It must be said the Echo was very good on fuel in comparision as expected, but the move to CRV is not in any way regretted.

Echo received similar mods:-)