PDA

View Full Version : My brake upgrade for my 1.3 Fit

MR Spyder
24-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Was decided on upgrading my stock 1.3 Fit brakes!
Got 2 options staring right @ my face then;

1. Wilwood 4-pot brakes
http://www.wilwood.com/Centers/Information/applicationguide_kits/images/07.jpg
2. Customized ("mix-and-match" combo using other Honda Civic parts)

The 1st option would cost me a bomb (looking @ abt S$1,600 w/installation), but the quality's really there! Parts comprised of; Steel braided Goodridge hoses, EBC green pads, 4 pots calipers, really BIG rotors!!

Whereas for the 2nd option, I'd be looking @ abt <S$700 for the whole mod.
Was told that the following parts would be used for the upgrade; EK4 calipers + pads, EG (ESi) rotors.

For the mentioned opetions, there was no need to mod the existing Fit knuckle whatsoever.. All would be a direct bolt-on!

*Unless you're intending to use the EK4's rotors (or some hardcore ones out there, are even thinking of using the Prelude brakes!), else, no need to do any modding of the knuckles. * :)

*Point to take note*: If the Prelude or EK rotors are to be used, a min of @ least 4mm would need to be shaven off the brake calipers itself (Do it @ your own risks!), and the knuckles would need to be have an extra hole (once done, its permanent!) U can't change to the Wilwood kit then.

Hmm.. contemplated for a very long, long time.. Decided to go with the cheaper option 1st. Was told that the 4 pot would be too 'hardcore' for a small car for a Fit. A bit 'overkill'.. Even my mech advised me against doing it as I won't be tracking my car @ all..

Well.. Left my car overnight @ my mech's garage there for the upgrade. Went back in the early afternoon, and was pleased with the mod! :) Hee.. The main visual difference between the stock brakes, and the upgraded ones, are;

1. Bigger caliper (was told that the 'pot' is also bigger than the stock Fit's ones)
2. Slightly bigger rotors (overall abt 1 inch increment when comparing the stock Fit's rotors & hte EG ESi's ones)

Opted for DON brake pads over the OEM pads too.
Tested my car's brakes, and I've been grinning ever since! The braking distance, has been shortened by @ least 20%, this I can guarantee!

Also, E-braked my car @ an empty area just to have a feel of it, and I can safely say, that the brake upgrades are definitely worth every $$$ spent!! :thumbsup:

The overall brake 'feel' is very much improved too!!
If any of you guys are intending to upgrade your Jazz/Fit stock front brakes, perhaps you could consider this option. :D

Below are pics for your comparison between the stock & upgraded brakes:

My bros' stock Fit brakes;
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/pbefe1cfe1f2a0a153a7094703c80d185/f22c2225.jpg

My upgraded Fit brakes;
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/p711c493d7cf28129fdc455b6facd0786/f22c2226.jpg

See any differences between the 2 setups? :D

bluevti
24-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Interesting upgrade... I can't see you're pictures though?

golfphunk
24-09-2005, 09:32 PM
hey spyder...just curious..are u going for a bigger power or just want bigger brakes for the sake of it?

Poeter
24-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Any big issues with insurance since this is a mod after all?

TypeG
24-09-2005, 10:40 PM
mostly for look i can say
but i will go for Dc2R cailper

spoon fit
24-09-2005, 10:43 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
but u said no different be4

TypeG
25-09-2005, 02:53 AM
i mean if i going to put a civic cailper in, i will put dc2r instead la stupid
lol

spoon fit
25-09-2005, 07:07 AM
i mean if i going to put a civic cailper in, i will put dc2r instead la stupid
lol

haha....
EK4 not using 1715?

golfphunk
25-09-2005, 11:15 AM
must we get it engineered?
i assume we have to right?

Jus-10
25-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Good stuuf MR Spyder...though it would be good if you can get the pics working...those red xs leave a lot to be desired!

Was always wondering what, if any, other Honda parts would bolt up to the Jazz/Fit.

Sounds like a good cheap alternative!

TypeG
25-09-2005, 06:11 PM
many bolt on kit to upgrade jazz brake nowaday
and a bolt on disc kit will only cost you $500 nowaday which isnt too bad even you dun think it is needed
you can get more info in Option mag which u can get one from chinatown

spoon fit
25-09-2005, 08:39 PM
EK4 not using 1715?

jamchen
26-09-2005, 09:08 AM
good choice i'd say... the whole up grade kit i think was a bit overkill considering the weight and other factors of your 1.3l JAZZ...
having brakes too powerful can sometimes be bad things.... :S:S i lived in Gold coast once and heard this accident from my mate where a Skyline braked in emergency but even thought he stopped in time and the driveer wasn't hurt at all... the rear passanger flew and hitted front wind screen and got thrown out of the car....(note he had 8-pot caliper brake upgrade)...

bluevti
26-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Also having unneccesarily large brakes adds to the unsprung weight of the car which is detremental to the cars overall handling.

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 01:50 PM
hey spyder...just curious..are u going for a bigger power or just want bigger brakes for the sake of it?

Hi.. I believe u misinterpreted my intention for upgrading my Fit's brakes. IMHO, the stock brakes suck big time! Had a minor accident when my brakes failed on me a couple of months back (around Jan).. :(

After that incident, I've been looking for ways to upgrade my brakes without spending too much, and yet, no need for major mods to the stock knuckles.

Thats why I went this way, bro. :)

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 01:52 PM

For looks, for perfomance.. opinions do differ. For me, I did it for safety. :)
Hee.. Anyway, for DC2 calipers, need to mod my knuckles. My mech advised me against doing it. :)

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Good stuuf MR Spyder...though it would be good if you can get the pics working...those red xs leave a lot to be desired!

Was always wondering what, if any, other Honda parts would bolt up to the Jazz/Fit.

Sounds like a good cheap alternative!

Hmm.. how abt u access here for the pics (pics 20 & 21);
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2131668619

Other Honda parts definitely can bolt onto our Fit/Jazz. The only gripe (or rather, conduition) is; how much $$ are u willing to spend. For me, I was on a budget, and I wanted to try something new w/o any mojor mods to my existing knuckles.

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 01:56 PM
EK4 not using 1715?

U HAVE to mod your stock knuckles in order to fit the EK4 brakes! Once u go there, u can't turn back.. aka; if your mech's not very confident in doing with the EK4 conversion, don't do it. :)
*Visual impact wise, of course the EK4 calipers + rotors would look damn nice!!* Hee..

bluevti
26-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Just checked out the pics via the imagestation link. Great work. I'm impressed. Good size brake upgrade... looks a lot better than the stock brakes too.

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Just checked out the pics via the imagestation link. Great work. I'm impressed. Good size brake upgrade... looks a lot better than the stock brakes too.

Thanks for the compliment!
I believe u now know that my intention for upgrading my brakes, are not mainly for looks nor performance :D

*SAFETY!!*
@ a cheaper price, but no major compromises to the existing knuckles set-up!

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 02:17 PM
must we get it engineered?
i assume we have to right?

As in.. ?? :confused:
As far as I understand, mine was a complete bolt-on! No extra drilling nor shaving off any parts..

bluevti
26-09-2005, 02:21 PM
In australia we have to "engineer" many of our car mods. I guess the term is slang, it doesn't refer to the process of engineering, rather it means we need a certified mechanical engineer to certify that mods meet australian design rules and that it is safe for every day use.

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 02:22 PM
good choice i'd say... the whole up grade kit i think was a bit overkill considering the weight and other factors of your 1.3l JAZZ...

having brakes too powerful can sometimes be bad things (THis, I strongly agree!).... :S:S i lived in Gold coast once and heard this accident from my mate where a Skyline braked in emergency but even thought he stopped in time and the driveer wasn't hurt at all... the rear passanger flew and hitted front wind screen and got thrown out of the car....(note he had 8-pot caliper brake upgrade) (For normal street driving, why would u need such powerful brakes.. ??)...
Thats the reason why I decided to upgrade my brakes, the 'not so hardcore' way. :)

Still single pot set-up, but BIGGER brake pot size.. :)

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 02:23 PM
In australia we have to "engineer" many of our car mods. I guess the term is slang, it doesn't refer to the process of engineering, rather it means we need a certified mechanical engineer to certify that mods meet australian design rules and that it is safe for every day use.

Oh, I see.. Hee.. okie! Parodn my ignorance! :o
As far as I understand, my upgrade was a complete bolt-on. To some, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in terms of visual. Cos they're of almost the same size, unless u 1st notice the calipers!

bluevti
26-09-2005, 02:26 PM
The main reason why I love the brake upgrade is that its cheap, effective and a real DIY mod. Interchanging parts between models without the need for further modification is something that is done all the time in australia, usually betwen datsuns/nissans models..

So its good to hear its possible to do mods like this for the jazz. I wonder if there is anything else that is swapable..

kimo
26-09-2005, 06:53 PM
So you have changed just the rotor to a bigger one.

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 07:26 PM
So you have changed just the rotor to a bigger one.

Not just a bigger rotor; bigger caliper too. :)

MR Spyder
26-09-2005, 07:29 PM
The main reason why I love the brake upgrade is that its cheap, effective and a real DIY mod. Interchanging parts between models without the need for further modification is something that is done all the time in australia, usually betwen datsuns/nissans models..

So its good to hear its possible to do mods like this for the jazz. I wonder if there is anything else that is swapable..

Hmmm... :D

1. K20 engine swap
2. DC5 interior front dash
3. DC5 front & rear brakes
4. DC2 front & rear brakes
5. EK & EG brakes
6. Stream 1.7 engine swap
7. :honda: Fit 1.5 VTEC / 1.5 iDSI engine swap etc

Many things can be swapped. How extreme are you? :p
I see our car (Fit/Jazz), like a "LEGO' toy.. Kekeke.. so many things can be swapable!! :p

kimo
26-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Have read in other fourm that you can just change the rotor to a bigger one.The simpler alternative is to upgrade/upsize the rotor but use back the original caliper - this is a simple 30mins bolt-on job and its totally reversible.

Add on a pair of good pads and braking is increased easily by 50% (serious as my frds have tested too).

Add on a good set of steel braided hoses and braking feel - very concise and responsive.

Cost - ard S$500 (for rotor & pads)

MR Spyder
27-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Have read in other fourm that you can just change the rotor to a bigger one.The simpler alternative is to upgrade/upsize the rotor but use back the original caliper - this is a simple 30mins bolt-on job and its totally reversible.

Add on a pair of good pads and braking is increased easily by 50% (serious as my frds have tested too).

Add on a good set of steel braided hoses and braking feel - very concise and responsive.

Cost - ard S$500 (for rotor & pads)

YUp, I know where u read that from; FJC Forum @ Singapore. :wave:

I too considered this way, but u think abt it; S$500 for a swap to a larger rotor, but still using back the original caliper. Gotta top up another S$100+ for better brake pads.

Look @ my set-up; spent S$700, and I've got a bigger caliper :D , brand new EG rotors :D , DON brake pads (brand new too!) :D ..

Which is a better deal? :p

TypeG
27-09-2005, 06:34 PM
stream 1.7 engine can straight swap over?
if yes, it is not too bad

MR Spyder
27-09-2005, 07:12 PM
stream 1.7 engine can straight swap over?
if yes, it is not too bad

:wave:

Should be possible; engine configuration + gearbox quite similiar!
Better to check with your mech/local garage, bro. :p

spoon fit
27-09-2005, 07:29 PM
D17!? what for...!?

TypeG
27-09-2005, 08:11 PM
D17 for more torque and some exact kw i think
lol
here ppl dun even know what is stream

TypeG
27-09-2005, 08:13 PM

it is not as easy man
that guy with the K20A and DC5 interior spent a lot of time on mod that shit to fit

MR Spyder
27-09-2005, 08:28 PM

it is not as easy man
that guy with the K20A and DC5 interior spent a lot of time on mod that shit to fit

Nothing's impossible, if u put your heart & soul into it, bro!
When there's a will, there's a way!! Hahaha..

:D

Jus-10
04-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I just have a bit of a question...ahve been reading up on this a bit to get a better idea....

I have been comparing the dimensions of the EG rotors to the Jazz/Fit rotors and there are 2 dimensions that I am "concerned" with...

The EG has a height of 45mm, whereas the Jazz has 39mm

The centre hole for the EG is 64mm and the Jazz is 61mm. Obviously the larger centre hole of the EG rotor means it will fit, but does this compromise anything at all?

Obviously it works as you have done it...did it take your mechanic very long to complete the job?

Just looking in to all the options/variables.

Zimp13
09-10-2005, 09:55 PM
does this mean that we can just change the jazz oem caliper to the civic ek4 caliper while using the oem jazz disc? if not, wats the size of the disc that can b ungraded to accomocate the ek4 caliper on jazz then besides the civic esi disc? how much bigger is the ek4 caliper than jazz caliper? anyone know?

spoon fit
10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
20mm more

big tone
08-11-2016, 10:39 AM
hi guys trying to work out the rotors "EG Esi" are these a 262mm or just a 240mm?
i have a 2003 Jazz 1.5. i have the EK4 Calipers but trying to work out what rotors.
Advice would be great..