PDA

View Full Version : Spoon airfilter. Need advice

joneblaze
11-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Hey ppl,

i'm looking at buying a Spoon air filter for my Gsi... (its a yellow one, thats all i know... lol). Does it fit in my std air box, and more importantly, what sort of gains/improvement will i receive? Do i need a cai or an exhaust for it to be worth it? I'm getting a 2.25" exhaust in a few months time but i'm not sure about the CAI. have heard conflicting advice and Hanny's God of Honda has told me to leave it so i just might... lol.

I'm basically trying to choose between this spoon one which apparently just drops straight into my std airbox and a generic K&N one which alot of people have referred me to. Any suggestions/comments?

thanks,

jon.

vti-2
11-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Air filters will make more of a difference on non-VTEC engines than VTEC engines. The GSi engine will benefit from modifications to the factory box as it will breath better and therefore perform better. You will no doubt have an increase in HP, not a huge increase but enough. Once you do the headers/exhaust you will definitely feel the power difference as the whole engine will be breathing freely.

VTEC engines are already highly tuned so adding an air filter generally won't do much apart from add a blissful induction noise... :D

Hope that helps...

joneblaze
11-09-2003, 06:06 PM
thanks for that Vti.... so umm... which one u suggest? The Spoon or the K&N? both relatively similar in price. i think the spoon one is a straight drop in, the K&N have to fiddle abit to set it up?

vti-2
11-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Oh, and to keep things looking stock and legal i'd get an aftermarket panel filter in your factory box but make a custom pipe from behind your front bar directly into the box itself. Cheaper than aftermarket CAI systems and legal!

joneblaze
11-09-2003, 06:12 PM
huh? but the K&N is a pod filter and the Spoon is a podlike cylindrycal filter.... i thought Integras dont have flat panel filters? im confused

vti-2
11-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Go for the Spoon if it is the panel filter. You should be able to get K&N panel filters as well that should slot into the factory box. If it is the pod filter then forget it as you will need to remove the factory box.

How much is the Spoon one going to cost you?

joneblaze
11-09-2003, 06:18 PM
$120 delivered. but its not a PANEL? it's a cylinder type thing.. a bright yellow one... similar to this i think..its foam.. --> http://www.inlinefour.com/spooninaircl.html its the middle bottom pic i think, for the teg... its not a panel.

so wat does everyone think???

wynode
11-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Did you say Gsi Teggy?

I think it comes with a POD standard.

joneblaze
11-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Did you say Gsi Teggy?

I think it comes with a POD standard.

yeah a podlike filter. so referring to my original post, can anyone help me? got any suggestions? i'd probably be leaning towards something i can throw into the standard airbox and not have to worry bout mounting or legalities. but also am concerned just how much improvements i'll see from merely placing this bright yellow foam thing into my airbox.

wynode
11-09-2003, 06:52 PM
joneblaze, as long as the new pod just screw in there you won't have any issues.

The new POD if it is better than your stock on should flow air better (hence the engine will breathe better). Just be carefull of which POD you get.....read a few reviews.

After that maybe consider removing your resonator and having some cold air come into the bottom of the box.

vti-2
11-09-2003, 07:08 PM
opps, my bad... :oops:

Yes, the Teg has a pod style filter. Most of what i said above applies to you anyway, replacing the factory pod with an aftermarket will benefit you. Also consider making a pipe to suck cold air from behind your front bar...

joneblaze
11-09-2003, 07:20 PM
joneblaze, as long as the new pod just screw in there you won't have any issues.

The new POD if it is better than your stock on should flow air better (hence the engine will breathe better). Just be carefull of which POD you get.....read a few reviews.

After that maybe consider removing your resonator and having some cold air come into the bottom of the box.

what does the resonator do? ive been advised to do that by a few ppl now. but will removing the resonator be illegal under RTA standards? i'd really like to keep everything above board cos i cant be bothered with any hassles.

wynode
11-09-2003, 07:24 PM
The resonator is only there to reduce NVH (noise Vibration and Harshness).

Expect the induction noise to increase.

Removing the resonator is not illegal (and if you keep the stock airbox, you can't even tell its gone because its burried inside the front guard).

joneblaze
11-09-2003, 07:35 PM
The resonator is only there to reduce NVH (noise Vibration and Harshness).

Expect the induction noise to increase.

Removing the resonator is not illegal (and if you keep the stock airbox, you can't even tell its gone because its burried inside the front guard).

hmm..sounds good. is it hard to remove? do i have to jack her up and get underneath? just unscrew some bolts and it comes straight off? theres a hole left in the airbox? are u 100% its NSW legal, cos wouldnt it change ur EPA emissions?

jon

Buddyclub
11-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Personally I would only fit an aftermarket drop in filter just so that I can clean it. It wont do anything performance-wise...if it does it might do less than 1kw if your car is stock....

I'd go for a K&N drop-in if there is one available.

joneblaze
11-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Personally I would only fit an aftermarket drop in filter just so that I can clean it. It wont do anything performance-wise...if it does it might do less than 1kw if your car is stock....

I'd go for a K&N drop-in if there is one available.

so the K&N over the Spoon?

Jim80y
11-09-2003, 08:03 PM
K&N but you may have trouble sourcing one for your application unless you get a universal one.

A'PEXi
11-09-2003, 09:39 PM
I'd go for the spoon drop in, as they are recognised tuners for hondas, and are known to make good products... not that k&n arn't good, but it might be hard to find one to suit your application as someone said before I think.

Jim80y
11-09-2003, 10:43 PM
If you can get the Spoon for $120 that is a very good price, care to share where from? :D Otherwise just go for Trust or Monster, same filtering element just slightly different housings for the filter.

ginganggooly
12-09-2003, 01:37 AM
k&n ru2820 -provided your airbox and intake is the same as a vti-r integra.

basically chop the old filter element off at the neck, and attach the k&n jobby using the clamps and seal that k&n provide. easy as.

might want to run a cold air feed to the bottom of the airbox too. you can ditch the resonator and stuff while you are at it.

vti-2
12-09-2003, 01:54 AM
Removing your current resonator will involve taking off the front bar.

I've got a K&N pod filter on mine and it wasn't hard at all. Removing the stock box involves taking out about three long bolts. The K&N i've got is basically on a piece of custom pipe which then fits into the rubber hose that leads to the throttle body. Simple and cheap and i didn't have to remove any resonators or anything. Also, i've got easy access to the filter when it comes to cleaning it. :)

By the way, you shouldn't have to do any chopping. You wouldn't want to damage any of your factory parts anyway.

ginganggooly
12-09-2003, 02:43 AM
Removing your current resonator will involve taking off the front bar.

I've got a K&N pod filter on mine and it wasn't hard at all. Removing the stock box involves taking out about three long bolts. The K&N i've got is basically on a piece of custom pipe which then fits into the rubber hose that leads to the throttle body. Simple and cheap and i didn't have to remove any resonators or anything. Also, i've got easy access to the filter when it comes to cleaning it. :)

By the way, you shouldn't have to do any chopping. You wouldn't want to damage any of your factory parts anyway.

you'd have noticed that the stock filter sits at an arm inside the box. apart from the actual filter element (consumable item) you are not cutting or damaging any factory parts in any way whatsoever.

you'll want to keep the filter in the box for two reasons- it's illegal not to have an airbox, and you will be sucking large ammounts of very hot air from the engine bay.
the ducting you run to the splash guard acts as a cold air intake... it's basically a DIY copy of the comptech icebox from the states.
removal of the resonator is for clearing up the area behind the splash guard for the cold air duct. resonators are also dead weight that you just don't want/need.

this procedure costs approximately as much as the one vti-2 mentioned... but, it's street legal, and improves performance.

here is what the k&n filter looks like when attached to the stock filter's neck and bend http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/data/500/745airbox2-med.jpg

cold ducting goes into the bottom of the box like in this photo- http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/data/500/745airbox3-med.jpg

finnished product looks totally stock (police won't say a thing), like this- http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/data/500/745airbox1b-med.jpg

joneblaze
12-09-2003, 03:31 AM
michael... absolute legend. i've been asking this question for the last 1-2 mths now, have had a shitload of diff. advice and have heard the resonator pullout and cai piping comment many times. uve provided 3 pics that have completely and utterly cleared it all up. lol. was so confused before. cheers for that. wouldnt wanna help me out with doing it would ya...? ;) if i just fit the K&N to the airbox now with the piping with the stock exhaust will it still give some sort of gain? How much would i expect to shell out for the K&N? just wanted ballpark figure, my mate can get it cheaper from rocket industries apparently.

jon

Spunkymonkey
12-09-2003, 09:35 AM
HI Jon,

I actually had the spoon filter in my car when I bought it. It was dropped straight into the factory airbox. Yes the sponge one your referring to.

I can't exactly give you any details on how it performs as it was in pretty bad condition..ie sponge was all crumbling if you touched it and it needed replacing anyway.

I would probably go the k and n design over the spoon.

wynode
12-09-2003, 09:45 AM
While you're at it, take some pics and we can do a small write up!

PS: WHen I took out my resonator, I didn't have to pull off the front bar. Just squeezed it out with a bit of effort...then again, mines a civc.

vti-2
12-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by wynode:
While you're at it, take some pics and we can do a small write up!

:thumbsup:

joneblaze
12-09-2003, 03:01 PM
thanks for that guys. yeah i think ill go the K&N just due to the fact its been recommended by more ppl :oops: , and its reuseable/reoilable. I wouldn't mind having a "Spoon" item in the teg, lol, but i cant seem to find much info on this little yellow foam thing, or how it works, etc. plus i cant read jap on most of the sites... lol.
will take some digicam pics when i get round to doing the change wynode :)

Spunkymonkey
12-09-2003, 03:11 PM
thanks for that guys. yeah i think ill go the K&N just due to the fact its been recommended by more ppl :oops: , and its reuseable/reoilable. I wouldn't mind having a "Spoon" item in the teg, lol, but i cant seem to find much info on this little yellow foam thing, or how it works, etc. plus i cant read jap on most of the sites... lol.
will take some digicam pics when i get round to doing the change wynode :)

Oh, and the K and N filter will make much more noise than the spoon filter :p

Just from seeing how my spoon one looked when I bought the car...it must have been originally a green colour lol....but it was a yellow colour and yeah...I think the k and n would last longer than the sponge item.

but if you've got it in the box then you won't really hear it that much lol.

mecca
12-09-2003, 07:57 PM
If you want K&N get E2427, not need for modification or chopping anything. Perfect drop in replacement for Type R, expect same for VTiR.

More expensive than RU version, I paid $149, was sourced from down south were you guys are and shipped to me in Far North Queensland.

RU - involves a little DIY
E - straight drop in replacement.

Hope that helps :D

joneblaze
12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
If you want K&N get E2427, not need for modification or chopping anything. Perfect drop in replacement for Type R, expect same for VTiR.

More expensive than RU version, I paid $149, was sourced from down south were you guys are and shipped to me in Far North Queensland.

RU - involves a little DIY
E - straight drop in replacement.

Hope that helps :D

thanks alot dude. yeah i was going to go the 2427, just have to see if i can source it through my mate for cheaper... $150 huh? not bad considering the hassle it saves i spose.... so just confirming, removing the resonator and fixing some cold air piping up to the airbox is completely legal in NSW? can anyone fill me in?

Calvo
12-09-2003, 11:09 PM
yeh its perfectly legal as long as u got an airbox covering ur filter.

wen removing my stock filter, i didnt need to cut it, u'll find that if u just give it a hard yank it will pop out. its just a rubber seal. dont quote me on that tho, coz i got an accord :D

joneblaze
13-09-2003, 02:37 AM
yeh its perfectly legal as long as u got an airbox covering ur filter.

wen removing my stock filter, i didnt need to cut it, u'll find that if u just give it a hard yank it will pop out. its just a rubber seal. dont quote me on that tho, coz i got an accord :D

thanks for that mate. just concerned cos im trying to have everything completely above board. really not the sort of person who can b bothered replacing/changing things if i get defected or troubles from cops. :)

ginganggooly
13-09-2003, 11:38 AM
yeah... 2427 is a direct replacement. i remember people from the states complaining that it didn't seal the box off properly- which was the reason i went for the cut 'n shut 2820 :)

when i saw some pictures of it, it looked to be missing the neck that fits in the groove of the airbox. fwiw, it probably doesn't make much of a difference. i just felt that 15 minutes of my time to adapt the 2820 wasn't too bad. 2820 filter was $80 from auto1 in kensington. i've seen them for 70 something online though... autospeed maybe? i can't remember... goddamn part biscuits.

ginganggooly
13-09-2003, 11:52 AM
old link, you've probably already all seen it... but just in case!http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

wynode
13-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Ahhh.......the notorious HKS Mega Flow

XXpl0Sive
06-10-2003, 01:55 AM
blaze, have you put it in yet?
I wouldn't mind doing the same project as you, we can do it together :D

joneblaze
06-10-2003, 11:54 AM
blaze, have you put it in yet?
I wouldn't mind doing the same project as you, we can do it together :D

nah man havent got around to doing it yet, still working on getting rid of my 17"s and fitting 16"s on etc etc, and generally having to much fun driving around... lol.. if you wanna do this together no probs, drop me a pm or something :P

jon

LatinoHatchCrap
06-10-2003, 02:18 PM
DC2 SPOON drop in filter
http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/twincamtech/dc2dropin.jpg

EG2/4/6/9 SPOON drop in filter
http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/twincamtech/egdropintop.jpg

Note that the prices in this site are USD so for 120USD is about 200AUD...not worth it go the K&N and forget about the JDM bling :)
Im also doing the stock airbox CAI, exept thaton mine im changing the rubber intake arm to an aluminium pipe wrapped in heat-wrap and another pipe to go from the bottom of my bumber to my stock air box.

joneblaze
06-10-2003, 05:30 PM
yeah i was offered one of those dc2 spoon drop ins for $120 brand new. do you know if they're reuseable? did a major service today, got an OEM filter for $50.... so that'll last for a yr or so

EG5
06-10-2003, 10:35 PM
spoon air filter are reuseable..
i got dc2 integra air box and intake piping and dc2 spoon filter on my EG civic..

joneblaze
07-10-2003, 01:33 AM
spoon air filter are reuseable..
i got dc2 integra air box and intake piping and dc2 spoon filter on my EG civic..

intake piping? like cold air leading from bumper to under airbox? does that do ANYthing if ur running basically a stock setup?

Redteg
16-10-2003, 12:58 PM
For me (B18A) getting rid of my intake resonator and putting in some 3" PVC piping as a cold air feed seemed to increase engine response from around 3500RPM and up. I feel as though I lost a bit of bottom end. It may not be a massive difference either way, but at least it sounds good! You can hear a distinct pop as the engine turns off too :)

*EDIT* I have no other engine mods

I have read that the intake resonator, and in fact the entire intake tubing, has a calculated volume that keeps the intake quiet, whilst assisting in bottom end power. Other cars, such as Subaru's and Lancers I have seen have weird chambers attatched to the intake tubing, probably for the same reason.

Would I be correct in saying that the Integra Type R's don't have an intake resonator from the factory? I'm not sure if its true or false.

wynode
16-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Would I be correct in saying that the Integra Type R's don't have an intake resonator from the factory?

The ITR does come with a factory resonator AFAIK. Just doesn't come with dual intake runners which gives it little/no low down torque as compared to the vti-r.

Redteg
18-10-2003, 09:54 AM
I'm sure you're right wynode. I read somewhere (US website) that there was some difference in the intake tubing but i cant remember what it was.

Anyway, joneblaze, try it and see if you like it! Its not a big job and is easily reversible. I'm against doing anything to my car which does not allow it to return to stock.

kiddoDC2
03-11-2003, 09:24 AM
the one i got was the trust yellow air filter

before i put it in, was told that the yellow bits crumble after awhile and get sucked into the engine bay sometimes so i decided not to install in the end

just my 2 cents

NightKids
21-12-2005, 04:02 AM
So is a Spoon panel filter for an EG reusable? And if so, do i use the K&N cleaning kit?

T-onedc2
21-12-2005, 06:43 AM
I think the ITR intake tubing is about 5mm larger in diameter, either way the same air filter will fit either.

I have the Spoon filter, I immediately noticed an increase in throttle response, however a tiny difference, it won't win you a race, but nor will any other replacement filter.