PDA

View Full Version : blown head gasket

creativepunka
28-09-2005, 11:29 AM
hey iv just blown my head gasket on my 1994 vti civic. would i be better to buy an genuine honda one or an aftermarket one? im looking at getting a thicker aftermarket one as this is a turbo'd engine. Will it be cheaper to get one sent over from the states? any recomendations?

joonix
28-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I am assuming that your vehicle still has the D16 fitted.

The general concensus amoungst turbo charged D series owners is that the OEM head gasket is alot better then the aftermarket alternatives for moderate boost.

People seem to get better results and have less problems with the OEM head gasket. Cometic produce aftermarket gaskets, and have been well recieved by the community.

My opinion : OEM gasket plus some good head studs (Like ARP).

saxman
28-09-2005, 03:31 PM
OEM gasket plus some good head studs (Like ARP).

:thumbsup:

also, you may want to look into why your head gasket blew. Most of the time, it seems to be related to improper timing it seems.

creativepunka
28-09-2005, 04:41 PM
most of the time.... dam thermo switch died. ok ill have a look at the price of genuine. hey what is the compression surpose to be?? I got 180psi on 1 and 4 and 90ish on 2 and 3.
Thanks.

joonix
28-09-2005, 06:02 PM
hey what is the compression surpose to be?? I got 180psi on 1 and 4 and 90ish on 2 and 3.
Thanks.

Firstly, it is more important to have consistant number for all cylinders rather then the actual number value.

Having said that, they should be approximately 180 psi.

Ideally you want to have minimal variation between each cylinder, but many people say that up to 28 psi in difference is acceptable.

The huge difference between cylinders 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 can be accounted for by the blown head gasket. However, I'd also check your piston rings.

Weq
28-09-2005, 06:41 PM
if u overheated id get the head decked to make sure its flat. get a new OEM gasket or a felpro from the US. they are around 50+ship - check ebay or google. Ive used oem and felpro, both great gaskets. felpro comes pre-copper sprayed. grab ARP headstuds while u are at it, because OEM arnt good for reinstallation (they stretch). Headstuds are around 100+ship.. all USD.

ive used this guy plenty of times. email him with a part number and he'll give u a great price. he only does money orders though (10 from the postoffice). trust worthy though.
importcarpartsplus@hotmail.com

krasyvy
03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
bringing up an oldish thread

where the best place to buy gaskets and seals?
about to put this d15b vtec in and was gonna replace those things