PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 1st and 2nd gen crx's

twilightprotege
28-09-2005, 01:02 PM
I've tried searching and cant seam to find what i'm looking for, but what are the main differences between the 1st gen and 2nd gen crx's?

obvious appearance differences, but are the mechanical bits (not the engine ofcourse) the same or very similar? ie will a 2nd gen suspension setup work on a 1st gen? engine mounts to swap in a b16 etc?

will most 2nd gen parts suit the 1st gen?

thanks.

ekslut
28-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Have a look up in the sticky's. There is some info there on the CRX's

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2

I beleive though they are different. There will be not much that will be compatible.

SINISTR
28-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Unfortunatelly there are Major differences... not only in appearance but also in the mechanical side.

2nd Gen suspension will not work on the 1st Gen. gen2s use coil-over-shock suspension while gen1s use Shock and torsion bar suspension on the front. Engine mounts are different again. Kits are available tho to fit b16a motors into Gen1s just as they are available for the gen2s.

twilightprotege
28-09-2005, 01:59 PM
thanks.

are there many high end suspension setups available for the 1st gen?

SINISTR
28-09-2005, 02:20 PM
the most common syssy mod for the gen1s is Integra LS torsion bars which are thicker than the stock CRX ones, and Koni Shocks for the front.
Rear is a little easier because its a coil-over-shock type suspension so lower springs and shocks are available. However lowering the gen1s rear end means you have to get an adjustable panhard rod as well to centre the rear panhard rod - otherwise its going to pull to the left - but that depends how far you want to dump it.

are you planning on getting a gen1 crx?

twilightprotege
28-09-2005, 02:28 PM
yep. i want it to be an all out drag/circuit car. wifey doesnt like me using our only car for drag racing incase something breaks (touch wood)

f20b in the front, no interior except for a roll cage, no appearance upgrades at all

overall height - 80mm clearance from the ground at the car's lowest point

edit : hope to buy one within a month

SINISTR
28-09-2005, 02:34 PM
there is one on ebay atm for about 1K...

technically speaking you can either go drag or circuit - one or the other with those cars - not both at thesame time. Although they handle quiet well, putting a heavy engine will only decrease their turning abilities - not to say there isn't much room for anything bigger than a B18C.

Ive got a gen1 with a D16 which I will turn into a circuit car hopefully, however B18 is the biggest engine i'll ever put in there - so yeah - i don't think a 2L is gonna be much good for the non conventional suspension on the gen1s...

just my 2 cents.

twilightprotege
28-09-2005, 02:51 PM
yeah i saw that one. keeping an eye on it

the f20b and gearbox is only some 20kg heavier than a b16/18 from what i can gather. anyway, if i can reduce the weight enough, i'll add removeable balast to the rear end to even it up for circuit, then remove it for drag racing

being a custom engine install, i'll also move the engine as far back as possible and even tilt the engine to the rear to move the weight back even more

i'm sure i can get the car to an awesome circuit car that i can drag as well.

so yeah, the suspension at the moment is my main concern as you can imagine. unfortunately from what you're saying the 1st gen is sounding like an option i shouldnt take and just wait til a cheap 2nd gen comes along

ekslut
28-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Check out this site: http://www.redpepperracing.com/

Some good info there

twilightprotege
28-09-2005, 02:59 PM
i've been checking that out, but it seams to be really slow (here at work - woops) and i cant search. i'll be checking that out later tonight

SINISTR
28-09-2005, 03:12 PM
redpepperracing is a prime site for gen1 crxs - US fanatic site - excellent information source.

Gen1s don't have the 'greatest' options and variety for suspension because they are torsion based. You can't put coilovers unless you strenghten the shock towers and caps.

Gen1s are light and nimble, and even with the torsion setup which seems to be somewhat 'behind' the times - they are capable of outmavouvering many cars with Coilovers - short wheelbase, go-kart like steering is very sensitive and allows to cut deep into a corner and manage to get out in the blink of an eye.

Im just saying that by having a heavier motor in there you're Not giving yourself much room for error in sussy setup.

Gen2s have the options of Coilovers which are definatelly 'newer'.

ultimatelly the decission will be yours, but if you get a chance - try having a look at HighOctane Series - I believe HO2000 and HO3 - where you will see a gen1 with VtiR B18C2 perform very well compared to many other 'race bred' cars like WRXs, EVOs RX7s..

twilightprotege
28-09-2005, 03:34 PM
will definately have to spend some time at redpepperracing in the suspension section. i'd assume there area few people who have upgraded to coilovers that i could interigate...

yeah the price, light weight and small size is what attracts me to the gen1. 200whp from a modified f20b in 800kg of car (once lightened) that's pretty damn good power to weight ratio. my current car is about 1whp : 7.5kg (2001 mazda astina sp20 - modified ofcourse)