PDA

View Full Version : stock d15b4 turbo?

lighty01
02-10-2005, 11:50 PM
hey pplz,
just wondering if it would be possible to run a stock rex turbo on my d15b4 (dual carbie engine) without any modifications.. someone told me about a blow threw system (hav no idea wat that is) can someone explain..and running on really low boost (which is good enough for me) also.. if i do need to strengthen anything can u lemme know plz..
( hope its not gonna be too expensive otherwise turbo conversion goes down the drain)

Weq
03-10-2005, 11:41 PM
yes ive seen it done. u'll need a custom plenum made up, other then that ur needs are the same as every other turbo honda
accept the carbie.. not any good wih those things, they might actually be able to cope with boost well on stock jets.. dunno?? ring up a carbie shop :)

lighty01
04-10-2005, 10:28 AM
thanx buddie

joonix
04-10-2005, 12:02 PM
You will need to have the carb boost referenced, or obtain an aftermarket boost referenced carb.

I've yet to see anyone boost reference a Honda carb, but I'm sure some yank has tried a turbo-carb set up.

See here for more information: http://www.vs57.com/carb.htm

Search turbod16.org. Grab a copy of Street Machine, and call some of the shops that advertise SuperCharger parts. They boost reference Carbs all day.

Weq
04-10-2005, 06:59 PM
ive seen a guy selling a d15 carby turbo setup, so its been done!

creativepunka
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
do a draw through carby, cheep as. you dont need to touch the insides of your carb. downside is you cant run an intercooler or bov

lighty01
04-10-2005, 11:11 PM
do a draw through carby, cheep as. you dont need to touch the insides of your carb. downside is you cant run an intercooler or bov

really? i dunno much about turboing.. im abit ov a noob wen it comes to turbos.. wats a "draw though"? and how does it work? wat do i need other than the turbo and manifold?

creativepunka
05-10-2005, 08:53 AM
draw through is when you mount the carby so that u still have your air filter on your carby and you plumb you carby up to the intake of the turbo so it sucks the mixtures through. we did a really buget version on a mazda 1300 and it cost us 150 all up. we did use pvc pipe as charge lines and "metal need it" to secure the pvc pipe on, and a steam pipe manifold. it was so dodgy. worked well though.

lighty01
05-10-2005, 10:09 AM
sounds interesting.. any links to diy's on that? if there is no bov wat happens to excess pressure build up? will i need to change head gaskets n stuff so my engine can hold the pressure or will stock still be ok?? if its that cheap i may as well giv it a shot.. anymore info would be great!

creativepunka
05-10-2005, 05:15 PM
talk to these boys. http://www.homemadeturbo.com and no its not gunna be that cheep 4 u. ours was getto spec.

iamhappy46
05-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Three reasons this is not a good idea.
For one, the Dual Carb actualy does use an ECU to control carb's.
Secondly, the Dual Carb motor was not used in the US of A, they got Dual Point EFI(YIPPEE, *note sarcasm*)
Thirdly, a suck thru setup will prevent you using a blow-off valve as fuel and air is already mixed. Intercooler is also out cause fuel will condense inside the intercooler and when you get a backfire... BIG BANG and you will become a human pop tart.

How this could become a good idea: Strip the carbies of electronics, they actually are good for up to 6psi boost. Get a $250 turbo exhaust manifold off ebay.com.au, make some piping up to mount a pod filter to turbo, get a 'plenum' to seal up against the factory carby intakes and modify the dizzy to get suitable ignition timing. Run a colder heat range spark plug and enjoy a nice meaty torque increase.

lighty01
09-10-2005, 12:33 PM
hmm.. will look into its asap.. any idea how much itll cost overall if i already have the turbo?? will i need to balance my carbs as well so both open at the same time??

lighty01
10-10-2005, 04:08 PM
will be begining turbo project soon... so any extra info would be great.. also if someone could show me pics or any info on pplz who have turbo'd their dual carb car b4 would be great! thanx guys and galz

iamhappy46
30-10-2005, 10:17 PM
There was a guy in the Civic owners section who had an ED D15B Dual Carb turbo setup that he had for sale? Worth a look...
It was a gold ED with chromies
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1156&page=18&pp=12
Good luck

31-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Sometimes trying to do things on the cheap ends up costing a packet! My suggestion would be to get a intake manifold and throttle body set up from the 88-91 Honda Concerto and bolt it on with a Microtech computer and be done with it.. it will save alot of hassle.

Weq
31-10-2005, 05:29 PM
ive got an efi manifold and injectors if ur interested :)

Otherwise heist bought the turbo setup for the carby, and im sure will be more then happy to sell u the plenum. tuning carbs is totally out of my league though. No idea.

VL_Commy
02-11-2005, 01:10 PM
i turbo'd my carby gen2 civic. Definately a DIY job, but worked :) no idea bout dual carbs. Im assuming they already have some form of linkage so they open at the same time anyway?

Rufes1
07-11-2005, 02:41 PM
What about ditching the dual carbs and using a single aftermarket carb? Then can you ditch the "ecu" and electronics and just make a simple draw through?

Thanks

heist
10-11-2005, 07:57 AM
ive got an efi manifold and injectors if ur interested :)

Otherwise heist bought the turbo setup for the carby, and im sure will be more then happy to sell u the plenum. tuning carbs is totally out of my league though. No idea.

yeah i got a plenum for a carby turbo set up....