PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem- Pls help

MIRZ
03-10-2005, 08:29 AM
my 95 Accord, was going great till last month, when it started giving me trouble with starting.

initialy i thought it was time to replace battery but when i took it for a battery check. Autobarn told me that its battery is in good condition and nothing to worry about it.

now problem is becoming worst, it does not start till so many tries.

what exactly happens

All pannels lights turns on.
i can hear CLICK sound when i try to give START
but it does not start.
if i keep doing it 10-15 times then once it would just sound like halfway start
and then after 2-3 tries it will start.

but some times it starts straightaway.

i m realy confused, whats wrong, does this mean that starter motor is near to its death ???

how much it cost to replace starter motor???

ECU-MAN
05-10-2005, 05:52 PM
hi man

i have fixed this heaps of times,

what happens id in your stater motor solenoid one contact is worn more than the other cating the plunger not to make a good contact on both terminals to feed power to the motor.

if your brave you can dismantle your stater moter and fix this your self with out any parts. takes about an hour to do.

Weq
05-10-2005, 06:27 PM
yeh this happened to me, accept the contact surface has been bent and broken because the mechanic who changed the clutch last rattle-gunned the main 12v back on to it. so when i undid the bolt to change the clutch again, it it basically broke the connector and warped the surface.. new starter worked a charm.

MIRZ
06-10-2005, 01:17 PM
got it fixed today by an auto elec. according to him what he done:

- replaced barrings in starter motor
- replaced plunger
- labour

he charged me $171.65 inc GST for this.

its working fine so far. what you guys think, is it appropriate amount for this work or he over charged me :)

civiceg9
06-10-2005, 03:49 PM
yeah a recon price usually around the $1XX mark.

mini_s2000
06-10-2005, 04:26 PM
yeah, auto elecs are exspensive... that price is ok

Weq
06-10-2005, 05:19 PM
yep, sounds about right. plunger.

MIRZ
06-10-2005, 06:34 PM
just opened hood to check what he did, basicaly he replaced the whole starter motor thing all together.

i think he put a refurbished one, and he will fix my faulty one later on in free time for next customer.

but motor is same Nippon-Denso, only difference is original was silver and this one is black in colour.

main thing is car is starting up just on first commanad.

ECU-MAN
06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
sounds about right for what he did.

if you know what your doing you can actualy fix all that for zero bucks.