PDA

View Full Version : Can i INTERCOOL a supercharger?

SINISTR
04-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi Guys...

thats pretty much my question - can I put an Intercooler into the intake side of a supercharger - will it make a difference?

on a turbo setup - air from the turbo goes through the intercooler and back into the intake under pressure, but on a supercharger - if it gets cooled before it goes into the supercharger - will it have thesame effect?

Anyway - you know what I mean :P

thanks

DLO01
04-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Yes, you can put an intercooler on the intake side of the supercharger, but it is more efficient to put it between the supercharger and intake on the motor. This is because compressed air creates heat, so from the compressed air after the supercharger, you want to cool it as much as possible before the motor.

Lukezen27
04-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Hay, can you install an intercooler before you get your turbo or will you loss power?

SINISTR
04-10-2005, 12:29 PM
As in intercool a stock motor?

joonix
04-10-2005, 12:34 PM
You can install a intercooler before the supercharger, or turbo charger, but it is highly ineffective and a waste of time.

There is absolutly no reason to do this.

Any shop can fabricate a correct intercooler plumbing for a Turbo charger or a Vortech Supercharger.

Traditional roots style superchargers do make fabrication a bit more dificult, but there are a few OEM examples you can draw some inspiration from.

http://www.4age.net/tech/4agze86/003.jpg

Lukezen27
04-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Just thinking about installing as I go instead of all at once :)

SINISTR
04-10-2005, 12:46 PM
You can install a intercooler before the supercharger, or turbo charger, but it is highly ineffective and a waste of time.

There is absolutly no reason to do this.

Any shop can fabricate a correct intercooler plumbing for a Turbo charger or a Vortech Supercharger.

Traditional roots style superchargers do make fabrication a bit more dificult, but there are a few OEM examples you can draw some inspiration from.

http://www.4age.net/tech/4agze86/003.jpg

I have to have a look how the supercharger looks - I can't remember - I was thinking of a top mount intercooler if possible.

Im trying to think of the technical side of the intercooling a supercharger. The air gets heated up when it gets compressed right? thats when it goes through an intercooler on a turbo setup especially as it is HOT exhaust air anyway - and back into the throttle body.

But how much does the air heat up on a supercharger and would cooling it more than stock intake would - would it allow the temperature to be lower once in the supercharger = lower temperature of the air which comes out of the supercharger?

SINISTR
04-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Just thinking about installing as I go instead of all at once :)

Putting an intercooler on a NA car is like getting a CAI but more expensive. I'd hold off on the intercooler until your turbo goes on.

Weq
04-10-2005, 06:21 PM
if u run a Jackson racing SC or any SC which replaces ur intake manifold, u cant. u have to get a custom water air aftercooler made to sit between it and the head.. expensive.. thats why JRSC sucks :P

jimmeh
04-10-2005, 10:32 PM
if u run a Jackson racing SC or any SC which replaces ur intake manifold, u cant. u have to get a custom water air aftercooler made to sit between it and the head.. expensive.. thats why JRSC sucks :P
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Esoobong.cho/wsb/media/135399/site1039.JPG