PDA

View Full Version : What to look out for in a new 2nd car

taizon
04-10-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm out looking for another car at the moment. not sure which Make or model im going for yet.

but what i would like to kno is, what sort of things should i be lookin out for, and what questions should i be asking the owner about the car?

i.e.
- Q - how often does the car get serviced?
- asking for log books

What sort of things should i be lookin out for in the engine bay?
- quality of oil?

any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks

**Ghost**
04-10-2005, 12:49 PM
1. service history as u said

2. ask for SPECIFICS of service history as often the log book is only stamped without details of what was done... for example "service done @55,000" and no toher details

importantly u need to know whether the following expensive ones have been

a. timing belt
b. water pump
c. headgasket

3. see if the car rattles when driving. Make a special point of driving the car over a few speed bumps or even a small patch of gravel if u can find some. do it safely of course (ie: SLOW) and listen for loose suspension

4. while standing next to teh car, push down on the a-pillar afew times and see if the car stops "bouncing" right after ur last push. It shoudl cos otherwise it means sussy is loose

5. check the ECU harness (if u buying sports car). Thsi shoudl tell u if a piggyback has ever been spliced into it

6. whether gear changes are smooth.

7. clutch test. pull handbrake all the way up, put urself in 2nd gear... rev to 2000 and slowly engage clutch... when u hit friction point and the car wants to go forward but the handbrake is holding u back, look at the tacho. If the revs stay constant means the clutch is good. If the revs bounces everywhere it means clutch worn

8. obviously check for dents and all. But if ur so inclined get a torch and peak under the wheel wells for tell tale signs of repair.

9. GLASS. i cannot stress this enough. GLASS. a SMALL SMALL crack - big big crack later on

taizon
04-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks a lot Ghost!
You covered quite a lot of things..
These were the sort of answers i was looking for.

i'll keep these points on mind when taking a loook a the cars

Is there any way of tellin if the Odometer readings hav been turned back?

aimre
05-10-2005, 12:30 AM
If thew engine is SPOTLESS (ie steam clean) be wary, maybe trying to hide oil leaks somewhere

little dirty ok but IF its oilly... something could be bust