PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Hi flo cat

yfin
04-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I think it is worth posting a link to a new topic on one of the yank TSX forums. It is hard to directly compare numeric gains on the TSX to the Euro as there are some differences between the cars (ECU, etc)- but given the increase reported it is something worth noting.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9183

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25824

So who is going to try it first? I wonder if there will be much difference just running the stock exhaust and header (unlikely). I don't have any plans to change from stock.

aaronng
04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Can we get such a nicely produced cat over here? Most of the cat's I've seen at the muffler shops look like those from a $2 shop (no offence to $2 shops, I still shop there). :D

EuroAccord13
04-10-2005, 06:17 PM
My old cars all ran MagnaFlow/CarSound Cats... They are abit steep (around 300 bucks installed), although I have no dyno to prove the gains, but I was able to experience the rev fly past faster... I'm not sure if it's normal but when it was first installed, the car lagged and only a couple of hundred Ks later, I could physically see/feel the gains....

Then again, a 13HP (SAE measurement) seems alot for a cat... I'll be interested on that too LOL! :D

Matell
04-10-2005, 08:28 PM
I am in a quandary over it at present.

Option one....buy now, cancel Fulcrum looking at my alignment, and drive like a granny till pay day next week (will have to fill the tank twice between now then).

Option two...hold off till pay day next week and hope there's still a few places left to be among the first 30.

Hmm living from pay to pay at the moment.....whoever said engineers get paid well is living on Mars :p

kitbkk
30-08-2006, 11:32 PM
any updates on this?
sorry to bring such an old thread,,,but just wondering if any members here got any aftermarket cat/ high flow cat.
if so what brand r you guys using?
so far I only knew that ChrisF has euroR car installed,,,
I also heard from the US forums that running Random Tech cat may cause Check Engine Light to come on.. this really scares me as I dont wanna get in to problems..those TSX owners solve the probs by having 2 anti-foulers on for the O2 sensor...well any thoughts? thanks

Chris_F
31-08-2006, 12:01 AM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3998/tnimgp21860xm.jpg

the above picture is the internal of the random tech. cat. That's the first time i've seen a picture of the inside. Comparing how that looks to the internal of the CL7 cat i'd say they are both 300 cell metal cats. I believe the australian manfacturer Metal Cat uses 200cell (which should flow better). But the benifit of the CL7 cat is that it doesn't cause any codes to be thrown, guaranteed a good fit (only with a CL7 specific header however).

Personally though i don't believe the gains would be as great as people are suggesting (I'm assuming dyno tests were done on differing days which can totally skew the numbers aswell). The reason for saying this: a test pipe would be unlikely gain 5-10 hp over a stock cat. I think I might of read this at TSX Club in one of the comments Noel made about high flow cats.

kitbkk
31-08-2006, 12:12 AM
true man., there is no way a high-flow cat would make a gain more than 5-10 over stock cat, as it definitely cant gain more than a test pipe.. well, having a NON-JDM header and NON-JDM cat-back means I cant run EuroR cat..
so... now the random tech cat is the only one in the market that is bolt on?How about Metal cat?where to get it? thanks

CRXer
31-08-2006, 12:14 AM
I know of one car running a "accidentally dropped" cat, AUDM B18C stock with cat-back & a bit of VAFC fiddling on the dyno that pulls 15kW over a stock JDM B18C.

driven
31-08-2006, 05:38 AM
running a random cat is unlikely to cause a CEL, i know of people who run a test pipe on the euro without any problems.

anyway you can get a metal cat from www.psiproducts.com.au
or there're group buys for them or traders selling on other forums for around $300.
you can take the flanges off your stock cat and weld them on, most exhaust shops should be able to do it.

kitbkk
31-08-2006, 10:09 AM
thanks people,
to CRXer - what I meant was, I dont think a high flow cat alone can make more gain than a test pipe.
Driven - from reading here - http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28205&highlight=fouler
about 80% of the tsx with high-flow cat (most of them are RT cat) have CEL on??
I got quoted from RT cat dealer from the US about $400us so i think its quite expensive but they are the only high flow cat that is bolt on..
I might give it a go but it has to be around next month or two after I get my cosmetics done..

TypeG
31-08-2006, 10:32 AM
lol
$400us for a hiflow cat
just get some xforce or whatever and weld them on

Eclipsor
31-08-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a metal cat on my h22a. I don't think it made that much of a difference. Don't really think it was worth the $320 or whatever I paid for it.

kitbkk
31-08-2006, 10:55 AM
lol
$400us for a hiflow cat
just get some xforce or whatever and weld them on
yeah the price is rediculous, from where i come from, we just run test pipe all and never get caught or fined. I wanna keep the stock cat/ dont want to cut the flanges and welded..so if its the only bolt on,,i might get it or just pass...

Eclipsor
31-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Just get a metalcat or a xforce or whatever get them to weld piping and flanges onto that to make it a bolt on. easy

TypeG
31-08-2006, 11:13 AM
man, cut and weld is easy as it is just a cat
wont affect anything and no one can see when u selling the car
cat flow cat do make a big different in my previous cars
i am going to change one actually but I am always lazy to get it done in Sat

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22244

curik
31-08-2006, 12:49 PM
im going for pulleys instead

TypeG
31-08-2006, 01:02 PM
pulley?
cam pulley or what?

aaronng
31-08-2006, 01:11 PM
pulley?
cam pulley or what?
Probably UR underdrive accessory and crank pulleys.

TypeG
31-08-2006, 01:24 PM
they are quite good as what i heard of
but high flow cat maybe a better go since u got header already and now u need cat and exhuast

Chris_F
31-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Just get a metalcat or a xforce or whatever get them to weld piping and flanges onto that to make it a bolt on. easy

^ too true.

but don't expect huge gains without I/H/E to compliment the upgrade or some sort of ecu to extract the most power from the modification.

kitbkk
31-08-2006, 04:03 PM
ive seen the xforce cat a while ago but not sure whether they have a mount for secondary o2 sensor? and also the shape of xforce cat is quite bigger than oem so.. it means the clearance from the cat to the ground will be a lot less and im just worried about that too..

kitbkk
31-08-2006, 04:06 PM
also UR pulleys kit is also in my wanted list but..........lloll.. eating instant noodles everyday is killing me now lol

TypeG
31-08-2006, 05:08 PM
ive seen the xforce cat a while ago but not sure whether they have a mount for secondary o2 sensor? and also the shape of xforce cat is quite bigger than oem so.. it means the clearance from the cat to the ground will be a lot less and im just worried about that too..

u can always drill a hole for yr sensor
;]
i just not sure what size is the best one and this thread make me going to get it done once i decide which header to go

Chris_F
31-08-2006, 07:24 PM
also UR pulleys kit is also in my wanted list but..........lloll.. eating instant noodles everyday is killing me now lol

haha, you should go to a buffet and never leave, it's even cheaper - if they advertise all you can eat just say you're not full yet and live there :thumbsup:

ALN
31-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Try Metal Cat. It's good quality. I'm using one now and dynod comparison both straight pipe and metal cat which produce 0.2-0.3 kw difference. With straight pipe you produce a bit more hp but just not legal.

TypeG
31-08-2006, 08:49 PM
how much is that installed?

kitbkk
01-09-2006, 01:47 AM
lol I would do that if i dont have a house lol, well.... metal cat sounds interesting..ALN(andrew) where did you get the metal cat from? And did you get a CEL (Check engine light) at all? thanks bro

ALN
01-09-2006, 02:22 PM
From what I remmeber it is around $440 installed. I bought it from Re custom. I didn't get any problem in engine check. The only difference is the sound, become louder compare to stock CAT.

TypeG
01-09-2006, 04:01 PM
your car should go a lot smoother if u got hi flow cat in
if u only feel the sound diff... must be sth wrong?

ALN
01-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I meant other than the gains. the cons is the sound increasing. The exhaust feels free after the hi cat flow installed.

euro77
01-09-2006, 10:09 PM
what about emission? i heard it will produce more emission (smog?), eventhough it might still be within the legal limit

ALN
02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
I didn't do the emission test but I have heard the rumor about it, producing more emission

Omotesando
06-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Try Metal Cat. It's good quality. I'm using one now and dynod comparison both straight pipe and metal cat which produce 0.2-0.3 kw difference. With straight pipe you produce a bit more hp but just not legal.

Sorry, have you dyno compared it with stock CAT as well?

I'm really curious, as its probably one of my preferred mods, although I'm not keen on releasing more poisonous chemicals into the atmo at the same time :(

Reminds me of the discussion of 10HP gained between the Fujitsubo catback exhaust vs Hondata exhaust, which not surprisingly the latter was said to include a hi-flow cat change...

As a side note, I know it is easy to measure back-pressure to guesstimate how much power could be made, but its a hassle. Obviously the lower the back pressure combined with the smallest exhaust pipe for higher gas exit velocity, should be the better? :D

ALN
06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I didn't dyno comparison between stock cat and high flow cat.
But I did dyno after high flow cat installed(with fujit cat, comp airbox, iridium spark), I got 120 kw atw on dynodynamics, which reads 15% lower than dynapacks. I suspect I lost few kw and torque since I have lightweight flywheel on.
Standard euro on dyno dynamics made 98-105 kw. Based on that you could work out the number maybe.
But for sure after installed you will feel more flowing through your exhaust and feel free when you driving ,cons is noticable increase in sound.

TypeG
06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
nice man
that's a big gain
should be a bit more with header
i really want to get a hiflow cat now

btw, what is the inlet size for the cat u using for yr exhuast?
2.25? 2.5'?

ALN
06-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I use 2.5" metal cat since it is closest size for fujit catback.
I'm using comptech header now and the gain was not so bad with additional 64mm TB, I got best run 126kw on dyno dynamics. It was at summer time so I suspect lost few kw and I didn't change my oil after I went 1/4 mile 2 months before the dyno.
Combining header+ high flow cat+ 64mm TB give notice gains above 6000 rpm but I think bored TB doesn't give much power unless you change your head internals then you'll see notice gains that's what I see in other K series forum

Omotesando
06-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Cool thanks for the Metal cat review. Will definitely look at it as an option soon.

Just pray that CEL doesn't come on *_*

curik
08-09-2006, 08:41 PM
ALN, is the Metal Cat bolted on without any needs of modifications? Or do you need to weld it on? If it is a bolt on mod, I would DIY to save $$ :P

Chris_F
08-09-2006, 08:49 PM
i believe you choose the inlet diametre of the metal cat and then have additional piping and flanges welded on for it to fit as a bolt on. Alternatively you could weld it into your exhaust system, but I think that'd be a bad option.

curik
08-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Thats more manual labour. And for $440, I think I will get the UR pulleys. Nice gains and more importantly low down torque. :D

Chris_F
08-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Well the UR pulleys are going to be rather expensive to install unless you can do it yourself. Let us know what you think of them

curik
08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
I will tackle them. It costs US 275. About $370. Similar price to a CAI but with more gains :D

ALN
08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
it's not bolt on. you just got the cat and you have to make additional piping and weld them together.
It's true though impression feelings I got from UR and high flow cat seems to get more gains from UR pulley (the result may vary since I have lightweight flywheel) .however if you got upgraded stereo I won't recommend you buy the pulley since I killed my battre within a month when I had audio close to 500-600 watts.
About installation it cost me around $140 for pulley, it is quite a hard job from what I saw when installing the crank pulley one since it located down below.

Chris_F
09-09-2006, 12:05 AM
ALN check your pm

curik
09-09-2006, 12:21 AM
lol ALN! You have the pulleys installed for $140 at RE? Thats not bad at all! I might skip the hassle and ask Ray to put them on. Btw, looking at the powerful audio system, are you an indo?

ALN
09-09-2006, 01:03 AM
yeah, I'm indo. The labor $140 I got from racing project but I have sold my audio system couple months ago since I wanna concentrate more to performance purpose and because of the pulley. Are you indo too? anyway it's nice to know you.

curik
09-09-2006, 01:12 AM
HORRAY! Are you driving the silver euro? Agentz? I would like to meet you sometimes! I want to buy the pullies too but not sure yet. My msn is ayohan@iinet.net.au. Please add me thanks!

tony1234
09-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Well the UR pulleys are going to be rather expensive to install unless you can do it yourself. Let us know what you think of them
I'll ask a dumb question.What are UR pulleys?:confused:

Chris_F
09-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Unorthodox Racing under drive pulleys, i believe they are smaller and lighter meaning less parasitic losses

tony1234
09-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Unorthodox Racing under drive pulleys, i believe they are smaller and lighter meaning less parasitic losses
Can you get them for a euro?if so do you know how much and are they easy to fit?:cool:

Chris_F
09-09-2006, 07:39 PM
I dont know much about them other than what they do, hopefully one of the other members that already have them wil be able to help you out

curik
09-09-2006, 08:00 PM
How much? close to $400. Easy fit? from 0-10 I'd say 8. Getting a mechanic to do it costs $140. Gains are about 5 hp accross the band and excellent low rpm torque gain

ALN
09-09-2006, 08:24 PM
HORRAY! Are you driving the silver euro? Agentz? I would like to meet you sometimes! I want to buy the pullies too but not sure yet. My msn is ayohan@iinet.net.au. Please add me thanks!

the silver mugen one.
yeah,we could meet sometime. It's worth I think to buy the pulley. It feels like having lightweight flywheels but with pulley it push to more torque the power gain should be between 5-10hp based on other forum but I can't support this since I haven't dynod mine and I have light flywheels.

tony1234
09-09-2006, 09:42 PM
the silver mugen one.
yeah,we could meet sometime. It's worth I think to buy the pulley. It feels like having lightweight flywheels but with pulley it push to more torque the power gain should be between 5-10hp based on other forum but I can't support this since I haven't dynod mine and I have light flywheels.
How long have you had them (the pulleys) on?I've heard there can be issues re:engine vibration which could affect engine longivity!!

yfin
09-09-2006, 11:08 PM
How long have you had them (the pulleys) on?I've heard there can be issues re:engine vibration which could affect engine longivity!!

Apparently not on the K24 according to our friends inthe USA - as it doesn't use the pulleys as a harmonic balancer (I hope that is explained right). I'll let someone who knows more about it explain as I don't understand that principle.

tony1234
09-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Apparently not on the K24 according to our friends inthe USA - as it doesn't use the pulleys as a harmonic balancer (I hope that is explained right). I'll let someone who knows more about it explain as I don't understand that principle.
Please.If anyone could tell me more it would be appreciated.also where i could order some.again thanks for your help.:)

yfin
09-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I am taking what is said in this link (http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25989&highlight=harmonic+balancer) at face value - I am not in a position to tell you whether it is accurate. He does say he spoke to a Honda engineer.

You can do a search on that site for the original threads - just search for "harmonic" and you will find it.

ALN
09-09-2006, 11:56 PM

I have them for almost 3 months now. Everything seems fine except as I mentioned earlier about the upgraded stereo caused problem as it killed my battery less than 1 month after installed. About the harmonic balance, I'm not really understand the principle of it but when I went to one workshop, he showed me crankshaft and its area. Pulley and flywheel it sort of connected by crankshaft so I would think changing fylwheels already creates unbalanced in the first place if we are talking about balance

yfin
10-09-2006, 12:12 AM
We have moved off topic so lets stop discusion about the pulleys in this thread.

The posts above re the pulleys have been moved to this new thread:

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51641

Thanks

ps i have done this because people browsing the forum in the future can see the thread about pulleys easily - rather than the topic being 'hidden' within a hi-flo cat thread.

kitbkk
10-09-2006, 12:48 AM
lol ok lets get back to topic then..
my best quote from the seller on acurazine was $360us which is $477 including shipping. But it will take 4-6 weeks to arrive. Well what do you guys think? Bolt on (RT cat) vs. Weld needed (metal)... Assuming for a bolt on cat I can DIY but for Metal cat I will need to go to shop.. so say $477 vs $440 ? I think interms of power gain, it wouldnt be much different I would guess.

ALN
10-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Just another info to add.
Based on what I found on both website.
Flow Rate:
Metal cat produces 534.81 CFM
Random Tech 502 CFM

Both taken from 3" size

kitbkk
10-09-2006, 02:41 PM
oh thats interesting. thanks andrew for posting that up. do you mind giving links for both websites? I think it will be informative and useful for us to read up. thanks man

mugen88
13-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Just another info to add.
Based on what I found on both website.
Flow Rate:
Metal cat produces 534.81 CFM
Random Tech 502 CFM

Both taken from 3" size

Does anyone know what the flow rate of the stock cat?

ALN
13-09-2006, 11:41 PM
oh thats interesting. thanks andrew for posting that up. do you mind giving links for both websites? I think it will be informative and useful for us to read up. thanks man

here's the url:
http://www.metalcat.com.au/images/MetalCattoleadingCatComparison.jpg
http://www.randomtechnology.com/

kitbkk
13-09-2006, 11:49 PM
thanks andrew. I love ya:p

curik
15-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Atjo, how is the news on installing a hiflow cat? Still $350?

curik
15-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Atjo!

Atjo
16-11-2006, 05:12 AM
Atjo, how is the news on installing a hiflow cat? Still $350?
I haven't installed it yet, you wanna do it together? Has to be 2 cars or more for $350, if not $380.

curik
16-11-2006, 01:49 PM
i want one, could they make one extra? I am going home next week. Btw this is Metal Cat isnt it?

fatfish
29-04-2007, 10:59 PM
i am getting metal cat, can anyone have any suggestion for the size of hi flow cat? 2.5" or 3" which one is better for our car?

Pumped
30-04-2007, 08:58 AM
ive got a 3 inch metalcat, 2.5 inch would probably be a better choice, not sure our cars NA need to bother with a 3 inch, also if you have or chose to get a Lower Arm bar you should have less trouble with your cat hitting it if you get the 2.5

ALN
30-04-2007, 02:21 PM
i am getting metal cat, can anyone have any suggestion for the size of hi flow cat? 2.5" or 3" which one is better for our car?

match it with your other header and cat back size.:D