PDA

View Full Version : Engeneers certificate

superR
04-10-2005, 07:04 PM
does any one know if i will be neding an engeers cert. for my type r turbo?
if so does any one know of a relativly cheap one whithin the campbelltown/liverpool area??? :confused:

asiansquad
04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
what's the engineers cert for???

tRipitaka
04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
possibly for the turbo ?

superR
04-10-2005, 07:58 PM
to make it so its all legal and cops cant bother me about it!.... i thought i may need one for a freshly turboed type R. ( well almost there... bout 3 weeks too go).

GSI-PSI
05-10-2005, 05:01 PM
your better off with an epa than an engineers certificate. If your cars engineered it doesnt mean ya cars epa legal. The local police will hassle you about the fact that you have no proof that your car meets emmision requirements with the turbo installed, from memory in NSW what you require is a IM240 test which is provided free by your local epa testing station unlike here in victoria.

poid
05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
not sure what the procedure is in NSW, but in the ACT the emissions testing is part of obtaining an engineer's certificate and must be done

asiansquad
05-10-2005, 06:44 PM
what is required over here in vic?

James_101
05-10-2005, 06:50 PM
in ACT emissions testing :S...for engineers cert. i thaught they just loooked over the car and got it weighed...... i would say for a engineers cert. it would be around the 400-500 mark plus any modifications the engineer may want to be done to make it to his/her standards.....when u get the quote of say 500 to get it engineered...dont think that its heaps cheap cauz they may want you to make a few adjustments which will cost more..making it quite expensive :p

superR
05-10-2005, 07:46 PM
i hope to have it all sorted b4 i take it to the engineers.... however i do have to got o the epa the get an exhaust deffect done after i finish my turbo conversion...... so i guess i will enquire about getting the whole lot done at the epa rather than mess around.

iamhappy46
05-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Yeah, my Dad is an approved RTA, IAME & SAE signatory in Northern NSW.
Basically, he would ask for emissions testing, brake upgrade, exhaust system mods, suspension mods and modifications to fuel lines, oil lines etc before signing off on most stuff.
Engineers have to be strict cause they get in shit if you crash your car and kill someone because they passed an unsafe modified car.
Consider it this way, would Honda have sold your car from the showroom as modified and claim it to be safe?

Savant
05-10-2005, 11:38 PM
What happens if you take it to get EPA tested and it doesn't pass. Do they impound your car or do they give you a week to get it fixed or are you just allowed to walk away with no certificate?

GSI-PSI
06-10-2005, 05:23 PM
basically you have to pay a shit load of money for the test to be done on your car. If it doesnt pass they will let you walk away but wont tell you how close it was to being the legal requirement. Too much money and time wasting if you ask me...

poid
06-10-2005, 05:48 PM
in ACT emissions testing :S...for engineers cert. i thaught they just loooked over the car and got it weighed...... i would say for a engineers cert. it would be around the 400-500 mark plus any modifications the engineer may want to be done to make it to his/her standards.....when u get the quote of say 500 to get it engineered...dont think that its heaps cheap cauz they may want you to make a few adjustments which will cost more..making it quite expensive :p

you only have to make changes if you fail, but if you do things right the first time you wont have to ;)

And they do more than just look over the car, they have to certify that the modifications comply with the ADR's and RTA rules. Which means things like emissions testing, handling tests, checking clearances, brake tests, noise tests etc must all be done

superR
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
well what is the quickest and easyest way then.... how did you do yours GSIPSI?

GSI-PSI
07-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Easy...i bought an epa legal turbo kit which comes with certifivation to prove its legality.

superR
07-10-2005, 08:28 PM
to late for me now.... however my cousin did find someone to do it through datnet, so problem solved. although i still will be going for exhaust testing at the epa, just to be on the safe side.

Snoop_gee
14-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Easy...i bought an epa legal turbo kit which comes with certifivation to prove its legality.

:arrowr:where u get the kits from bruhhh?

GSI-PSI
14-10-2005, 04:32 PM
:arrowr:where u get the kits from bruhhh?

AVO turboworld in cheltenham melbourne

superR
12-03-2006, 06:40 PM
anyone who said i wouldnt need an engineers is completely wrong..... i got done last night and had to get my car towed home because it was not "steet legal" according to the dumbass copper that defected me.
Now i need an engineer to pass my car by this thursday as if it is not they will cancell my rego.

destrukshn
12-03-2006, 06:48 PM
oh shit.. =/ sorry to hear.
where abouts did this happen? i was about to go for a drive last night.. but noticed way too many coppers so i went home and had a quiet one.

superR
12-03-2006, 07:15 PM
lol i didnt help that i was driving through an industrial area at 2.30am but i was in wetherill park.

Weq
12-03-2006, 10:12 PM
basically you have to pay a shit load of money for the test to be done on your car. If it doesnt pass they will let you walk away but wont tell you how close it was to being the legal requirement. Too much money and time wasting if you ask me...

in NSW its free. u have to sign up at the RTA and book in a date. botany or pentrith are the testing centres. i passed no worries with a my emanage.

superR
13-03-2006, 05:31 PM
free , there is a word i have not heard in a while ... lol

GSI-PSI
13-03-2006, 06:09 PM
lol oops

SKREMN
13-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I just booked my car in today for an epa test there is a 7 week wait for the penrith one
Ive gotta apply for an extention on my defects now

I never had any problems untill I decided to get an engenerrings cert and then it went all down hill from there
sine i have had cop problmes, rta problms, defects and what not

Weq
14-03-2006, 03:57 PM
yeh im trying to avoid my engineers cert as long as possible.. i have everything in place and EPA tests but i dont want the attention. i hear they blacklist ur car.

string
14-03-2006, 04:46 PM
yeh im trying to avoid my engineers cert as long as possible.. i have everything in place and EPA tests but i dont want the attention. i hear they blacklist ur car.
They blacklist your car if what?

I don't quite understand what you do with your engineer's cert. once you get it. Do you have to go and tell the RTA that your car has been modified or what?

I'm not really looking forward to an Eng. Cert. for my car. I don't get any cop attention as it is, especially where I live (all the nissans take the spotlight haha), and I don't have comprehensive insurance, so its a tough call.. If emissions is free I might aswell give that a go...

jimmeh
14-03-2006, 06:07 PM
They blacklist your car if what?

I don't quite understand what you do with your engineer's cert. once you get it. Do you have to go and tell the RTA that your car has been modified or what?

I'm not really looking forward to an Eng. Cert. for my car. I don't get any cop attention as it is, especially where I live (all the nissans take the spotlight haha), and I don't have comprehensive insurance, so its a tough call.. If emissions is free I might aswell give that a go...
once u have you engineers cert. just keep it in your glove box and when u get pulled over then u get to sho it to the cops. that about it.

superR
14-03-2006, 07:12 PM
they black list us???? WTF do these people want from us?
its all just a big cash cow for them i think.

string
15-03-2006, 09:23 AM
once u have you engineers cert. just keep it in your glove box and when u get pulled over then u get to sho it to the cops. that about it.
But an eng. cert. can't stop a cop for defecting you, it entirely up to their discression. The certificate will only get it cleared easily. So what benefit would one of them have for me since the chance of me getting checked out is near zero as it is.

superR
15-03-2006, 03:30 PM
im am over all the rubbish that comes with doing up a car

Paul1985
15-03-2006, 04:23 PM
very interesting thread guys!
ive been wondering for a while what is involved with having your modified car engineered.

anyone had good experiences with any melb engineers??
ill need one in the future, and would like some recommendations :)

Euro-Boy
18-03-2006, 12:52 PM
superR,

There is a place called "Vipac Engineers and Scientists" in Port Melbourne (office) that can do emissions testing for you and produce an engineers certificate. go to:
www.vipac.com.au for further detals.

Or just PM me and i'll give you the mob number of the guy in charge of runnig the test facility based in Altona (the old EPA emissions test area-now run by Vipac). He will be able to tell you what test needs to be done and at what cost.

My Advice to you: make sure you have good quality, [new-is ideal] catalyic converter/s or you will be wasteing your time and money. this is very critical to emissions testing!

EGB18CT
19-03-2006, 04:17 PM
over in VIC i think they have just recently changed the laws to engineer certificates. As i am in the process of doing a b18 swap in eg was looking up info on VICROADS for it. Aparently, now you have to go to certain people NOT automotive engineers to get the car looked over VASS or something... similar to a roadworthy cert but there are only about 20 people in VIC that can issue it...

anyway to cut things short heres the link and have a read, not sure how much it costs, hopefully its a better process than going through the engineer...

pay particular attention to the wording in the replacement engine section point 2.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrne5nav.nsf/childdocs/-6F89CFC1046661B5CA256FD300241BFA-E4CFA420ED0C17EBCA256FD300241C06?open

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/vasslist2Nov2005.pdf

superR
19-03-2006, 05:31 PM
bit hard from me to drive it down there .... i live in sydeny. thanks for the consideration though...... i actually found an RTA sertifuied guy who is doing it for $300

Weq
20-03-2006, 01:05 AM
When u get an engineers cert u need to get a blueslip after and then tell the RTA. thats the process. the engineers cert is to comply all the mods so the blueslip guy will pass u.

ErazeR
18-04-2006, 03:45 PM
ofcourse you need a certificate,
you need 1 for any mod you do even wheels

Paul1985
18-04-2006, 05:59 PM
ofcourse you need a certificate,
you need 1 for any mod you do even wheels
Thats a pretty brief statement.
There are slight mods you are able to legally do to your car without needing an engineers certificate.
i.e. im pretty sure you are allowed to put wheels on your car upto 2" more than what came with it standard.

iamhappy46
18-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Thats a pretty brief statement.
There are slight mods you are able to legally do to your car without needing an engineers certificate.
i.e. im pretty sure you are allowed to put wheels on your car upto 2" more than what came with it standard.

Actually, your allowed to fit any rim/tyre combination as long as it is no more than 15mm larger than the largest factory option... That is the current ADR law regarding rims and tyres.

This has been covered before: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

kayot1k
18-04-2006, 11:32 PM
heheh, i got a engineers cert easy on my supercharged corolla.
db levels and everything was passed !
it actually easier to obtain a engineers cert than you think, cops dont hassle you about anything about emissions here in sydney do they ?
i have yet to see a case where cops could be bothered once you've shown your engineered cert. as long as your car isnt too much show in most cases youll be let off.

even my exposed pod filter was legal AHAHAH

joyride
19-04-2006, 12:55 PM
fyi: engineer cert proves the legality in court/rta. the police can still fine you for whatever reason they want, regardless if you have the papers on you. you'd just have to show your paperwork to the courts and/or rta. yeah the cops like to be d*cks every now and again.

p.s. kayotik, exposed pod filter is illegal, your engineer should know that.

Paul1985
19-04-2006, 09:14 PM
and if he did engineer you for that he is crazy because if you do end up going to court it will be on his shoulders!

poid
19-04-2006, 09:38 PM

my exposed pod is engineered as well, the RTA didnt mind it when they opened the bonnet (ACT)

Rice_4_life
19-04-2006, 10:31 PM
:S headache, didnt noe so muc pain and effort would b needin to modify a car.

fadz
03-09-2006, 05:51 AM
fyi: engineer cert proves the legality in court/rta. the police can still fine you for whatever reason they want, regardless if you have the papers on you. you'd just have to show your paperwork to the courts and/or rta. yeah the cops like to be d*cks every now and again.

na exposed pod or not, it aint a defect until your car fails emissions..or something along those lines, once you pass your imissions they do a intake sound test, you pass that apparantly, your all good, pod can get engineered....im in the process of doing it atm...:cool:

iamhappy46
03-09-2006, 11:39 AM
^^ Wrong. A pod is classified as noise pollution, because there is no restriction on intake noise. As such, you can still be fined for it if it is too noisey on wide open throttle. By shielding it, your reducing intake noise the same way as covering up speakers inside your car.

You will also find that more than 75% of the time, a pod filter will increase exhaust gas emissions due to the simply... more air requires more fuel thing, which alters your EPA tested emissions from factory ratings.

Yes a pod can be engineered but it needs to be shielded or the cop will fine you for having an exposed air filer which is still a legal SAFETY infringement in NSW.

Twincam16
09-09-2006, 08:28 PM
^ Adding to this... In NSW, exposed pods are not illegal unless the pod is oil based - paper based are fine. Most police dont know this, and its pretty hard to tell at 11pm with bonnet up on a dark road...

** Going to find the link to back this up... remembered seeing it on another forum with links. Always assumed that exposed filters were illegal, not anymore.

joyride
11-09-2006, 02:02 PM
and if he did engineer you for that he is crazy because if you do end up going to court it will be on his shoulders!
exactly. if he loses the court battle, i imagine his business going down the drain too.

TypeRice
14-09-2006, 01:20 AM
i heard u need an engineers certificate for any modifications you do..

i got bodykit and some other rice mods.. does that mean i need a engineers certificate too?

[stealth]
14-09-2006, 06:39 PM
i heard u need an engineers certificate for any modifications you do..

i got bodykit and some other rice mods.. does that mean i need a engineers certificate too?

negative!

SKREMN
14-09-2006, 07:55 PM
you need a certificate for almost everything thats not standard
i just got my pedals and gear knob and steering wheel engineered
i'm not shure you would for a body kit but a coppa could still issue one if he wished
i got defected for 16's coz they where a wider tyre width then stock
if your heater fan/demister doesnt work they will defect you on that too...

iamhappy46
14-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Yes, a bodykit requires engineer approval as it can be a safety hazard to paedestrians.

SiR Feoc
01-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey guys interesting thread, just wondering if anyone would know the steps involved in FI legally in South Australia??

TypeRice
11-10-2006, 12:18 AM
blahh.. but i never heard n e 1 get done for a bodykit..

Mr. Focus
11-10-2006, 01:35 PM
hmmm... very interesting read. anyone have any info on other states...ie. QLD????

iamhappy46
11-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Qld requires you visit a authorised signatory for a 'Blue plate' which is attached to your car, next to the VIN plate.

SiR Feoc
30-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Anyone have any info for SA?????

poid
30-10-2006, 06:47 PM
blahh.. but i never heard n e 1 get done for a bodykit..

i've seen it happen, "danger to pedestrians".

IMO if you hit a pedestrian the shape of the front bar is the least of their worries, but anyway...

ErazeR
01-11-2006, 07:35 AM
call up the RTA and ask them for a copy of all authrized engineers, then call every 1 up and should find some 1
thats what i did.
600 bucks for the whole car man

jonty
01-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Dont you guys research by ringing your local RTA and EPA before doing these expensive mods??

In victoria.
You need an engineers cert with the EPA cert to prove that the car meets emissions with teh new turbo and ADR with the install of the new turbo.

You obviosly dont need to have them. but when you get caught, you will have x weeks to clear the defect or EPA.. in which if you dont have the appropriate paperwork, you will have to restore your car back to stock.

Epa Vic will pop your bonet and instantly fail you unless you have the paperwork. Your vehicle will be given an EPA prohibited vehicle sticker until proven! So yeah.. prove that it meets emissions or return it to stock.

If your in vic, PLEASE dont be a nong. Ring Vicroads, and find a VASS approved engineer:
http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/safety/road/bulletin/pdf/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engines_3Feb2006.pdf

The engineer will step you thru making your car LEGAL with the mods + turbo kit.

It is an expensive process. Ie: $100 inspection by Engineer, he writes out ur report. He books in a time at an Emissions Lab.. ie FORD. You go down there, with ur turbo honda.. (hopefully its tuned to meet ADR37/79) if it passes HORAYYY $1000 or so. If it fails.. u have to book in again and pay the $1000 odd to book for the testing.

Once u pass...after $$$$ for tuning and booking fees. hahaah. You get the Emissions cert for those mods to keep the EPA happy.. BUT now you need an Enigeers cert for the mods so that the Cops are happy, mr engineer is happy, and when u ever have an accident, mr Insurance company is happy.

OR

you sell all your junk and buy an already EPA approved kit ... from Avo for example, or an american turbo kit that has met all the american emissions standards.

Why american? My friend had a EG with a turbo kit that met american emissions. He got epa'd here in VIC.. showed EPA that his kit met U.S emissions with the Emanage, td04 etc, and EPA cleared him.

95civic
07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Sorry to kick up an old thread... But is this all the same with an engine conversion? I can understand the EPa getting involved with a turbo conversion, but are they involved with engine swaps?

rayb3na_
07-04-2008, 02:39 PM
are u trying to say will u need one? i think its if u got 15 or 20% bigger displacement u will need one? ie. 1.6 to 1.8 is ok 2.0 will need a cert.

Weq
08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
its different in every state.

But yes, fitting some engines leglally will require an engineers certificate. If they were in an australian delivered car, its easy to show they are ADR complient and often the sniffer test can be avoided.

Paul1985
09-04-2008, 08:51 AM
its different in every state.

But yes, fitting some engines leglally will require an engineers certificate. If they were in an australian delivered car, its easy to show they are ADR complient and often the sniffer test can be avoided.

So it's possible to avoid the sniffer with a K24A in an EG?

bal
09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
not to sure about NSW but in the ACT i had to get an emisions test done on my k24 conversion and iam using stock cat and ECU, i think you might have to get one cause i know of a guy in syd with an EK k20a who had a few problems getting his to pass. Iam currently having the same problems but not to same extent. because we have to comply with epa law of the chassis make not the engine make its easier to pass say an EF k20\4a then an EK k20\4a. go get the test done and see how you go might be ok use stock cat and ECU. I failed the other day soim going to use 2 cats to see if that will help.

good luck mate.

RtN
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
How about if we just have like Exhaust, Headers, Coilovers, CAI, braces + asr LCAs, koyo radiator, etc. no engine swap though. If we engineer that then no defect?

Limbo
09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
yeah. you'll be fine if you engineer.

Normally with your mods above you don't need an engineers' certificate, as theses are allowable owner mods in NSW. But the cops usually pull a shifty when they wanna book you if they feel in the mood and pull out the "Not Standard" crap, to defect you.

If you have an engineer's certificate they usually leave you alone cos its not worth their trouble.

Paul1985
11-04-2008, 11:31 PM
not to sure about NSW but in the ACT i had to get an emisions test done on my k24 conversion and iam using stock cat and ECU, i think you might have to get one cause i know of a guy in syd with an EK k20a who had a few problems getting his to pass. Iam currently having the same problems but not to same extent. because we have to comply with epa law of the chassis make not the engine make its easier to pass say an EF k20\4a then an EK k20\4a. go get the test done and see how you go might be ok use stock cat and ECU. I failed the other day soim going to use 2 cats to see if that will help.

good luck mate.

Mine was originally a 91/92 dual carb EG. Hopefully i should be ok.
Also, pretty sure Vic is a bit more lenient than NSW.

rayb3na_
12-04-2008, 12:51 AM
yeah. you'll be fine if you engineer.

Normally with your mods above you don't need an engineers' certificate, as theses are allowable owner mods in NSW. But the cops usually pull a shifty when they wanna book you if they feel in the mood and pull out the "Not Standard" crap, to defect you.

If you have an engineer's certificate they usually leave you alone cos its not worth their trouble.

doesnt matter dude they can still defect it. jsut cos u have an engineers certificate doesnt mean they cant get you for it. at the end of the day its good to have the cert. though cos it makes everything alot easier to clear.

DEMON83
13-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know if u need any mod plates, emission/epa tests or engineer stuff for a vortech supercharged B16 in a EM1..??

Limbo
14-04-2008, 10:26 AM
in NSW - if you use a non-standard ECU yes need EPA testing. If you use piggyback no donn't need EPA testing.

go figure, that's how the engineer explained it to me

rastus
22-04-2008, 03:10 PM
The link below is a fairly useful pdf covering what things need engineering and what don't for QLD. http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb57c508de5dea8/Modification_jan05v2.pdf

Check out
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Road/Standards/Light_vehicle_modifications/
for more information

Hope it helps, I found it refreshingly clear.

--Rat

trism
22-04-2008, 07:19 PM
in NSW - if you use a non-standard ECU yes need EPA testing. If you use piggyback no donn't need EPA testing.

go figure, that's how the engineer explained it to me

because a stock ecu, with a piggyback will still retain stock emissions

an aftermarket ecu is completely changable.

if you can tune it, and still come in under emissions, youre sweet.

and its not hard to do, and get power. a bloke in an GTR was making 600hp, and still came in under emissions

Weq
23-04-2008, 01:35 PM
The funny thing about emmisions tests, is that no where on the certificate does it say what type of ECU you are running. Only the date that had the test done, and your car.

I think engineers certificates need a emmisions certificate that has been done within 3months. So yeh. And i think emissions tests are only valid for 3months. So in theory you can run a stock ecu for the test and then put in an aftermarket/tune. Just wire the wastegate open. Ive done the test before, the car gets put under very little load. my GReddy kit didnt even spool.

As for emissions theory, basically the rule of thumb goes, if the tune can be changed, it cant be engineered. It must be locked down. ANd aftermarket standalones are for off-road use only. But in practice, its an engineer by engineer basis. Best way to pass an engineers certificate, is get friendly with a workshop. Most have engineering contacts, and i will get anything u want passed. *within reason*. I know down here, in the ACT, the pits has a list of dodgy engineers that they dont accept certificates off anymore, even though they are still registered with the RTA. Go figure. Ahhh... The system is sooo confusing.

Limbo
23-04-2008, 03:37 PM
i'm suprised they don't just revoke their engineering license

grumpy rooster
24-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Aftermarket standalone systems can be engineered if the tune passes the relevant emissions testing and the ecu is "locked". Thats in NSW. I don't know about other states.

That is once you have found an engineer who is willing to do this. Some engineers just take a blanket view of no aftermarket ecus can be engineered for no other reason than its all too hard for them. :thumbdwn:

Weq
24-04-2008, 10:41 AM
i'm suprised they don't just revoke their engineering license

The system is a mockery. The RTA are reluctant to put on any new engineers, so all the current engineers know the system and how to bend it to make the most money. Absolute power currupts absolutly.

Lukezen27
26-04-2008, 02:06 AM
I found it quite simple but way too costly and time consuming IMO!!

I passed my EPA emissions tests (free, just need to book) then went to my engineer and passed my engineers certificate $800..
Tested the following:
Turbo Setup (Made easier with a complete trademarked Turbo kit, GReddy)
Brake Upgrade
Coilovers & Ride hight
Wheel Size
Seats

Then went to a blue slip Mech passed and updated my info! $35

Then went to the RTA and re-registered my Civic as a Turbo Civic! $12 bucks or whatever for admin fee's...

Done!

Paul1985
26-04-2008, 06:30 PM
If your car is un-registered and you get an engineers certificate on your car, do you then need to get a roadworthy inspection on it before getting it registered?

Lukezen27
27-04-2008, 10:48 AM
If your car is un-registered and you get an engineers certificate on your car, do you then need to get a roadworthy inspection on it before getting it registered?

Yes! Char

qstoria
27-04-2008, 01:32 PM
rofl at the RTA in ACT. absolute joke. took me 3 attempts where each time i was told something different from the previous visit. could not get a straight answer about what was required for my car to pass. basically different day = different rules. different person working = different rules...

Lukezen27
27-04-2008, 01:42 PM
rofl at the RTA in ACT. absolute joke. took me 3 attempts where each time i was told something different from the previous visit. could not get a straight answer about what was required for my car to pass. basically different day = different rules. different person working = different rules...

The RTA in Sydny has nothing to with the process apart from Updating your info onto there system once you've pass everything I've listed and printing out a new Reg sticker..

aimre
27-04-2008, 04:33 PM
The RTA in Sydny has nothing to with the process apart from Updating your info onto there system once you've pass everything I've listed and printing out a new Reg sticker..

Umm yeah they do. They approve what engineers u can and cant use... just like the ACT.

Lukezen27
27-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Umm yeah they do. They approve what engineers u can and cant use... just like the ACT.

lol aimre

Clearly you have to go to a RTA approve engineer or there's no point going at all..

You'd have to be a total moron to go to an engineer that wasn't RTA approve then wast your time at the RTA having the engineers work approved...

Am I missing something here or what?

Lex_EG93
03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
ok i just read this thread and im sorta understanding what i have to do. . .

just to be sure can someone please break it down for me.

im in NSW

i got an EG si. what i put in is a b20/b18 w/ modded cams, b18 manifold, ek9 gearbox, stock ecu but chipped by pro. getting 262mm rotors front and back with stock calipers, stock suspension, and all bits n pieces ie wiring, dist, alt and interior n that all stock with steelies.

my question is do i need anything else to pass my car AND what has to be done to get the car cleared and ready for rego (emissions, eng cert) ???

thx

Lukezen27
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
ok i just read this thread and im sorta understanding what i have to do. . .

just to be sure can someone please break it down for me.

im in NSW

i got an EG si. what i put in is a b20/b18 w/ modded cams, b18 manifold, ek9 gearbox, stock ecu but chipped by pro. getting 262mm rotors front and back with stock calipers, stock suspension, and all bits n pieces ie wiring, dist, alt and interior n that all stock with steelies.

my question is do i need anything else to pass my car AND what has to be done to get the car cleared and ready for rego (emissions, eng cert) ???

thx

Buddy I've already posted one page back exactly what you need to do...

I doubt stock calipers and stock suspension will pass the engineer with that power upgrade

Lex_EG93
03-05-2008, 01:21 PM
i c i just thought it would be different cuz im not running a turbo setup and its 15% 'bigger' than my original. . .

so i need sussy n brakes. . . sweet

Lukezen27
03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
i c i just thought it would be different cuz im not running a turbo setup and its 15% 'bigger' than my original. . .

so i need sussy n brakes. . . sweet

Yeah it depends on who your engineer bro

You need to contact one before you start spending cash

bal
03-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Buddy I've already posted one page back exactly what you need to do...

I doubt stock calipers and stock suspension will pass the engineer with that power upgrade

Stock sussy should pass dunno about the calipers but you might need to look into that.

Slaz
03-05-2008, 10:30 PM
With the EG Si being a 1.6 and the 15% rule and an engine of the same make, puts you at 1.84 ltrs allowable without a cert of any sort, run a B18 opposed to a B20 block so its not obvious to someone who may know hondas should you get pulled up, make sure its not too loud, your induction enclosed and address the other little crap they get you for ( breathers, cat, height, ect ) i cant see you really having a drama unless you bring the unwanted attention yourself.

Has anyone had a good experience with a particular engineer in sydney while were here??

Lukezen27
04-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Has anyone had a good experience with a particular engineer in sydney while were here??

Yeah

I got mine done by John from Consulmotive

Nice guy

Lex_EG93
04-05-2008, 11:45 AM
With the EG Si being a 1.6 and the 15% rule and an engine of the same make, puts you at 1.84 ltrs allowable without a cert of any sort, run a B18 opposed to a B20 block so its not obvious to someone who may know hondas should you get pulled up, make sure its not too loud, your induction enclosed and address the other little crap they get you for ( breathers, cat, height, ect ) i cant see you really having a drama unless you bring the unwanted attention yourself.

got all the parts already just saving for brake setup and costs for the rego. . .

Fo55il
10-05-2008, 05:58 AM
any1 in melbourne who can hook me up wid a engineeers cert please.

i feel scared driving past po-po's

atleast this way ill have "some sort" of argument

string
10-05-2008, 04:08 PM
How does an engineer decide if your brakes are "big" enough for your power level? Stock calipers with nice fluid, excellent pads and new oem discs stop 10 times better but will this be a problem as nothing is "bigger"?

Lukezen27
10-05-2008, 04:18 PM
How does an engineer decide if your brakes are "big" enough for your power level? Stock calipers with nice fluid, excellent pads and new oem discs stop 10 times better but will this be a problem as nothing is "bigger"?

They drive very fast and time the stop then the work out the max power rating they will engineer your car with the current brake setup...

Its more complicated than that but hey that will do.

Limo
10-05-2008, 11:32 PM
any1 in melbourne who can hook me up wid a engineeers cert please.

i feel scared driving past po-po's

atleast this way ill have "some sort" of argument

im pretty sure you need to get a epa test done first, they will set you back ~$700. vicroads will have a list of all the certified engineers in vic. they know there shit so no point bullshitting them, also most dont answer many questions over the phone, they rather you made a appointment and charge you $100p/hr to talk to them.

Lukezen27
11-05-2008, 08:12 AM
im pretty sure you need to get a epa test done first, they will set you back ~$700. vicroads will have a list of all the certified engineers in vic. they know there shit so no point bullshitting them, also most dont answer many questions over the phone, they rather you made a appointment and charge you $100p/hr to talk to them.

Yup EPA first but its free in Sydney

Fo55il
11-05-2008, 06:21 PM
so no one can tell bby experience in vicctoria huh

Limo
11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
so no one can tell bby experience in vicctoria huh

not from direct experience, but my mate got it done for his turbo hilux, so it should be similar. for his epa test, they test for emissions,noise etc, it should be more in depth than a normal epa test you get after a defect notice for ~$700.

engineers he needed to upgrade his engine mounts/suspension to support the extra weight, nothing effecting the struture of the chassis (eg. if its been cut it has to be reinforced. i think he had 2 holes for cooler piping). lastly a brake fade test to handle the extra power, they rev to certain rpm and brake..repeatedly. i think that was about it. while thats all happening its ~$100p/hr and about $500 just for them to write up a certificate(i had one done up for compliance).

then your usual RWC stuff like height etc

so you can see why some people dont even bother as they can still get done by cops eg. nah your car seeems to be too loud etc, wack defected!

Limbo
14-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Fossil: come to sydney get it done, then drive back :)
Bring me the fenders while your at it

Fo55il
14-05-2008, 06:56 PM
hmm yeah, dat was my next question .

but wouldnt that cert be for nsw? lol

Lukezen27
14-05-2008, 07:04 PM
hmm yeah, dat was my next question .

but wouldnt that cert be for nsw? lol

Wishful thinking I'm afraid :(

Limo
14-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Fossil: come to sydney get it done, then drive back :)
Bring me the fenders while your at it

yeh doesnt work like that, spoke to my tuner who done his crx turbo a while back, you need a engineers and a ADR approval, he said it cost him about 14k to pass (heaps of shit to modify to suit the new appication)

EGB18CT
15-05-2008, 10:21 AM
14k geez stuff that!

Limo
17-05-2008, 02:13 AM
if you dont believe me ask blkcrx himself.

EGB18CT
19-05-2008, 02:10 PM
i thought he said 5-6k to me before or i must have heard/red wrong... this is blkcrx (james that does hondata/hondatech.com.au) good bloke... i didnt think it cost that much, epa i think was 2g back then plus the cert, but if u fail the epa you have to fork out more money again, but then it could be right cos he had to hire out the epa facility, just 14k sounds heaps!

Limo
19-05-2008, 06:28 PM
yeh that james. the 14k was to get your car ADR approved (this was years ago) epa should be ~700, eng is ~500 for the cert+what ever else he has to do. i dont think there is any other way to get your car properly registered with turbo etc cos we dont have "mod plates" like in other states.

bal
19-05-2008, 08:44 PM
epa test $700??? isnt it a free service nation wide? or is that just nsw?

Weq
20-05-2008, 01:43 PM
yeh that james. the 14k was to get your car ADR approved (this was years ago) epa should be ~700, eng is ~500 for the cert+what ever else he has to do. i dont think there is any other way to get your car properly registered with turbo etc cos we dont have "mod plates" like in other states.

James spent 14k to get Hondata ADR approved. So he did the hard work so u can engineer any car with hondata. without an EPA test.

grumpy rooster
20-05-2008, 02:22 PM
James spent 14k to get Hondata ADR approved. So he did the hard work so u can engineer any car with hondata. without an EPA test.

Not on an S300 it wouldn't be. To be able to do that you have to supply a locked ECU that contains a tune for a specific setup. If you change any part of that setup then it is no longer approved. I cannot see it being the case.

You can get it approved with a test but otherwise I highly doubt it unless you run the same headers, same exhaust, same intake, same everything down to the brands.

Weq
20-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Not on an S300 it wouldn't be. To be able to do that you have to supply a locked ECU that contains a tune for a specific setup. If you change any part of that setup then it is no longer approved. I cannot see it being the case.

You can get it approved with a test but otherwise I highly doubt it unless you run the same headers, same exhaust, same intake, same everything down to the brands.

s100 and s200 is. not the s300. as long as its been tuned by authorised tuner, and yes, it needs to be locked. email james if u want verification.

yuentinlon
09-12-2008, 06:07 AM
>.< i dont understand at all when i finished reading this post.....

In QLD , if my car is turbo , do i need to get that engineer cert in order to avoid police? if so, how and how much and where