PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch

fadz
04-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey peepz lookn @ getn one for my honda civic, how Much am i looking @ roughly??

sesshoumaru
04-10-2005, 07:55 PM
couple bucks for the switch. couple bucks for the wires. couple hours work, depending how capable you are.

roughly.

fadz
04-10-2005, 07:57 PM
na im thinkn jus letn sum auto electrician do it.

Felix
04-10-2005, 08:10 PM
I got an Auto Electrician to install one in my old Lancer. Cost me $40 all up. He did an awesome job too.

pocketrocket
04-10-2005, 08:29 PM
I had one installed in my old car and it worked a treat :). Although on some occasions the switch would interfere with the electricals and stuff up the car, causing it to not start up properly, dunno why, even changed the switch.

All in all a cheap and effective mod to deter theives. :)

kappa1st
04-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey guys,

Could be cheap but also very dangerous. If the power is cut while you're driving, you'll lose power to your brakes, and since I'm new to Civics, I'll guess power steering and EFI will go too.

Each to his own. I'd say get a proper alarm installed. Mongoose is very good.

-Kappa

wynode
04-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Just make sure disable the correct thing and hide the switch in a hard to find place!

iamhappy46
04-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I just remove wiring on the main relay and let the buggers go looking for my kill switch. Nastiest thing I thought I could do to them ;)

destrukshn
04-10-2005, 10:56 PM
you can get a switch called a carpet switch, it's a kit with a relay and all.
you hook it up to the fuel pump relay.
the switch is very thin, thin enough to put it under the carpet, hence the name carpet switch.
all you do is press it once, and it will engage the fuel pump.
and even if your car is running, and you accidently press hte switch there is no effect.
the best kill switch yet

Phantasm
05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
U can get those magnetic diode switch ones, that are hidden under your dash and are activated by running a magnet or something over a certain spot. Makes them impossible to find.
If a thief busts into your car and cant start it... isnt he likey just to trash it anyways out of frustration?

fadz
05-10-2005, 10:17 AM
lol im confused here...do i get one or not, and if so wat sort of kill switch do i get so i dont hav any probz or future probz with my car...

wynode
06-10-2005, 12:09 AM
It's just a switch and as long as it is wired/soldered in properly you won't have a problem. Don't know why someone made such a fuss about your car cutting out.

fadz
06-10-2005, 03:24 AM
ok thnx man

dc2-forshizzle
19-10-2007, 10:55 PM
can someone do a DIY for these switches? I don't want to cut my wires unless i'm cutting the correct ones!!!?

drunkntigr
19-10-2007, 11:58 PM
What exactly is a kill switch? I thought the Civics already come with something that won't pump oil without the right key.

Lex_EG93
20-10-2007, 09:32 AM
if you have a 3 point imobiliser on ur car, will the kill switch affect the alarm?

beeza
20-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Fuel pump kill switch ftw!
http://www.d-series.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1653904
http://hondaworkshop.com/misc/crx_kill_switch/
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1794938

Mr_will
20-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey guys,

Could be cheap but also very dangerous. If the power is cut while you're driving, you'll lose power to your brakes, and since I'm new to Civics, I'll guess power steering and EFI will go too.

Each to his own. I'd say get a proper alarm installed. Mongoose is very good.

-Kappa

kinda sorta not really.

you dont instantly lose power to your brakes - most of the assistance is from vacuum, so you have 1-3 stops left before you lose assistance, and even then its not that hard to stop, just takes more effort.

as for efi - i think its fairly obvious that if the engine is turned off fuel will not be being injected so i dont know what you meant by that.

power steering would be the biggest worry, people trying to turn quickly and suddenly realising it was a lot harder than they expected