PDA

View Full Version : new team f1 and honda buyout of bar

j3z3z
04-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Japanese car manufacturer Honda confirmed on Tuesday that it will take full control of the BAR team in 2006 after acquiring a 100% shareholding in the Brackley-based outfit.

The announcement, made in Tokyo ahead of this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, means that Honda joins BMW, Renault, Toyota and Ferrari as the fifth fully-funded works operation in Formula 1.

"After discussing Honda's future F1 participation, we have decided that Honda should own 100% of the team," said Honda's operating officer Hiroshi Oshima.

Honda, which already had a 45% stake in the team, will complete the transaction from current owners British American Tobacco by the end of the year.

"From next season, we will be even more energetic in our F1 activities, working hard as a team in order to improve our technology, develop our young engineers and achieve our goal of winning the world championship," said Oshima.

It is unclear what Honda intends to call the team next year, but BAT has confirmed its Lucky Strike brand will remain as title sponsor until the end of 2006.

After that BAT, which entered the sport as a team owner in 1999, intends to withdraw from F1 because of future tobacco marketing restrictions.

"It will be sad to end our association but it is immensely satisfying to leave the team in the competent hands of Honda who are proven winners in the sport," said BAT's marketing director Jimmi Rembiszewski.

"We wish Honda every success for the future and look forward to our last year of sponsorship."

A mystery 11th team could be set to enter the Formula 1 fray with a supply of Honda engines in 2006.

It is unclear who is behind the new outfit but Japanese driver Takuma Sato, who has been replaced in the BAR-Honda squad by Rubens Barrichello in 2006, told Reuters he had been contacted about driving for the team next year.

"It's not confirmed that this new team will race but I have received an offer," he said.

"I'm not planning to quit Formula 1. I have to keep going and look for a solution."

Honda has supported Sato throughout his Formula 1 career and has made noises in recent weeks that it intends to continue backing the driver despite him not being a part of its new works team's driver line-up.

At Tuesday's announcement in Tokyo, Honda operating officer Hiroshi Oshima confirmed that the Japanese company is considering supplying engines to the mystery team.

"Nothing has been decided yet as far as drivers or engines go," he said.

"But Bernie Ecclestone has given the team his blessing and we are looking into the possibility of supplying their engines."

The team is not thought to have any previous experience of F1, but whoever it is would need to have the wherewithal to design, or at least buy the intellectual rights to, construct and run a fleet of new chassis in four months.

The news is also good for Britain's Anthony Davidson, who has been a BAR-Honda test driver for the last three years and is actively searching for a race seat in 2006.

^^v
04-10-2005, 10:38 PM
lolz my gosh..
news does spread slow around here...:rolleyes:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29477

civ_sik
05-10-2005, 12:15 PM
yes and who owns the alleged new team? ^ :rolleyes:

j3z3z
05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
dont know!!! as the team is not a confirmed entry into next year

jackosimm
06-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Sato would want to perform mighty well if he gets that seat next year!

Petronas
06-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Sato would want to perform mighty well if he gets that seat next year!
Sato for 2006 WDC yay! :D

Vivski
06-10-2005, 03:03 PM
No matter how much Honda and Button spin this, it means only one thing. The Honda team will get LESS money from BAT as a result. Honda will have to invest more capital into the team. Not sure why a Honda owned team would be any more motivated than a BAR owned team. Smoke and mirrors I say.

LUD02C
06-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Sorry guys, I had my thread about this locked and deleted due to "multipule" threads, even though it was in the news section.

It only seems fair to lock this thread.
Sorry to be a nazi...