PDA

View Full Version : Tick Tick Tick and K&N

EuroAccord13
04-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Has any Euro owners here ever heard or hear slight ticking noises coming out of the car? Seems to be coming out of that belt thingy on the left hand side of the intake plenum?

I've already ordered the K & N Typhoon Intake Kit for the Euro :D RED colour heeheeheehee... when it arrives in 8-10 weeks by sea mail, I will install it and let u all know how it feels..

CHEERS

yfin
04-03-2004, 09:19 AM
I think I have heard this noise just after start up - I can only hear it from outside the car. I can't hear it from inside the car.

I think it is tappet noise when the car is warming up (this is what my dad said who is a mechanic - apparently nothing to worry about). Does this describe what you are experiencing?

Regarding the K&N - I think everyone wants to know - how are you purchasing it? (ie through the Australian K&N distributor or over the web?). Also - how much in Aussie $ terms ?

cheers

EuroAccord13
04-03-2004, 02:59 PM
That was what I initially thought, but the ticking noise gets louder when the engine is warm.... :(

Ok.. here are the details

I used Rocket Industries to special order one set for me at AUD380 through sea mail together with their container load from USA (which explains the long wait and free freight) IF you want it in 2 weeks, add another 100 for air freight.

Nick was the bloke I spoke too and he was very very helpful, he will even triple check that it the CAI that fits the TSX will fit our Euros (Safety precaution :P) even though I have placed an order.

I was just thinking, maybe if you guys do a group buy, I can maybe talk him into lowering the price for each uni.

They come in the four main K&N colours and can be converted into a Short Ram Intake Kit.

CHEERS
Nick

yfin
04-03-2004, 04:05 PM
The K&N sounds great.

The only problem is why K&N Australia is charging $380? Lots of US based web sites advertise the K&N for $185USD (or $250 AUD). See

http://www.hopupracing.com/kntyinsyacts.html

:evil:

Slugoid
05-03-2004, 12:08 AM
I'm getting the K&N replacement filter. Doubt it'll give me much gains (if any), but it's a cheap thrill for me. $140 only, and it'll last a lifetime.

euro77
05-03-2004, 07:21 AM
The K&N sounds great.

The only problem is why K&N Australia is charging $380? Lots of US based web sites advertise the K&N for $185USD (or $250 AUD). See

http://www.hopupracing.com/kntyinsyacts.html

:evil:

I would say it has something to do with the import taxes, warehousing costs, etc etc etc.
Every items that are imported are always more expensive than in the original country.

EuroAccord13
05-03-2004, 10:08 PM
True indeed, and besides, they need to make some beer money too since it's not ordered in bulk.. I wouldn't mind paying abit extra for the service and friendliness they gave me..

Back to my other question, any Euro owners hear of the ticking noise even at warmed up idle?

CHEERS
Nick

euro77
06-03-2004, 07:31 PM
my engine is sooo quiet (without A/C on) that I sometimes think the engine is not on yet :P

so, my answer is no :D

bigbuddha
07-03-2004, 10:24 AM
my engine is sooo quiet (without A/C on) that I sometimes think the engine is not on yet :P

so, my answer is no :Dyeah .. that's the same with me ... engine so quiet I sometimes turn the key cause i forget it's actually on

yfin
07-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Slugoid - please keep us posted on your impressions once you fit the K&N filter!

Speaking of the quiet engine - recently I thought I stalled the engine at traffic lights trying to take off in 1st gear. Anyway - i turned the key briefly - it wasn't a pleasant sound as the engine was running!

I was cursing myself for ages - a real clutzy thing to do. I know, I know - I should have checked the tacho first - it was a reflex action from my old Mazda that would stall often.

EuroAccord13
15-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Opps I forgot to add, when I mentioned the ticking noise to the service people, they had it checked out and told me it's normal..

Any Melbourne Euros want to meet me so I can get a quick listen to their Euros?

Thanks

yfin
15-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Euro13 - I'll meet with you so you can listen to my car - I live in Armadale and have a 6MT arctic blue.

The one thing I'll ask in return is that once you get your K&N intake installed you take my for a ride!

PM me.

cheers
y

Slugoid
15-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Just installed the filter yesterday. Not too much improvements, as I expected, but it seems like throttle response is better at low revs. Not sure if it's a psycological thing, or if the filter is actually helping. If you want some real performance, get a pod filter. Mine is just a direct factory replacement filter, so yeah.

As for noise, only when ideling when i first start the car.

PS: If u want a listen, I live in the SE suburbs. I have a 5AT, so dunno if that'll help.

euro77
15-03-2004, 06:09 PM
I live in NE suburbs, mine is 6MT. PM me if you want.

EuroAccord13
16-03-2004, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the Offer Guys! Really appreciate it!

Euro77, Slugoid and yfin, would love to meet up with ya all.. can listen to both manual and auto version of the engine.

Euro77, N.E side... near Doncaster/Boxhill side?

All of us should meet up for some coffee since we're pretty much near each other, I'm in the S.E Suburbs too... :D

And of course, when the kit is fitted, I'll take ya all for a ride...

CHEERS ALL!

Nick

Weq
16-03-2004, 12:41 PM
I would say it has something to do with the import taxes, warehousing costs, etc etc etc.
Every items that are imported are always more expensive than in the original country.

Not true. My intercooler cost exactly what i paid for it in USD dollars (ie like any other american). Shipping was $25AUD by sea. expect to wait atleast 8weeks for it! No tax's, nothing.

poid
16-03-2004, 01:32 PM
or you can pay US$70 for shipping instead if you want it within a couple of weeks :)

I did get hit by customs doing it that way though :(

I agree to a certain extent, items are more expensive due to shipping and taxes...but if you are importing as a distributor you get wholesale pricing to compensate for this fact

Importing as an individual its almost a lottery as to whether you will get hit by import taxes

Weq
16-03-2004, 02:37 PM
true :)

euro77
16-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Well.... not that far hahahaha... i'm actually near Fairfield

sure, set a time and we'll meet :D

JOHNNE
18-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Hey dude how much was the typhoon kit?

Type R Positive
18-09-2004, 10:40 PM
or you can pay US$70 for shipping instead if you want it within a couple of weeks :)

I did get hit by customs doing it that way though :(

I agree to a certain extent, items are more expensive due to shipping and taxes...but if you are importing as a distributor you get wholesale pricing to compensate for this fact

Importing as an individual its almost a lottery as to whether you will get hit by import taxes

You only have to pay GST and crap if the item is over $200USD coming into Australia.

Here is the thing. Get whoever you buy from to write on the box "reterning for repairs" you don't pay anything. It already implies that you have already paid import taxes and crap. You can get them to fudge paperwork as well.
It still beats buying of third party in Australia who takes their cut. Kinda like Drugs ;)