PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Recomendations!

LO_N_SXC
05-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey guys

I'm about to get my car Roadworthy'ed and i wouldn't mind changing the clutch, you see I'm doing the RWC so I can sell it sometime by the end year, or sometime the next, followed by new shocks and fix that crunching syncro.

My car is a DA9 LS with a B18B cable Tranny (YS1 I think?)

Well down to the question that is, What Clutch would you recomend for daily driving? mine already has a Heavy duty one but its worn bad as hell, in high revs the car used to chirp and the pedal is very high up.

I would like something with a great pedal feel (stiff) but without the anoying triying to not stall sort of feel.

I've heard that a Five puck cushion clutch would be great, and wouldn't mind getting one of those, or is there something better?

What do you guys have in your rides and are you happy with it?

Thanks!

Alex

iamhappy46
05-10-2005, 05:48 PM
If your selling it, think along the lines of what is the new owner going to want...
Fitting a new Exedy heavy duty item is a lot easier and if bedded in properly should give the new owner a more leisurely test drive. Going for a clutch that bites harder could cause it to stall, on that all important test drive and they may leave with the impression that something is wrong with the car.

I had a triangular plate brass button in a previous car and the first 3 people lost interest on the test drive.
Fit a heavy duty item, have it adjusted properly after it beds in and you should be fine.

bennyBear
05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I put in an exedy ceramic plate clutch, it's about 50% stronger clamp than the stocker, probably one of the best mods i have done. Has a great feel under foot, but isn't as harsh as a button clutch. I've had it in for a good 8-10 months now and it feels awesome, hasn't slipped once, and is still great for city traffic. All up about $550 installed. Money well spent in my mind, BTW tis a good idea to get your flywheel machined to match, or buy a light-weight racing wheel as well.!!

Happy shopping!!

mini_s2000
05-10-2005, 09:54 PM
exedy organic clutch

LO_N_SXC
06-10-2005, 09:28 AM
I put in an exedy ceramic plate clutch, it's about 50% stronger clamp than the stocker, probably one of the best mods i have done. Has a great feel under foot, but isn't as harsh as a button clutch. I've had it in for a good 8-10 months now and it feels awesome, hasn't slipped once, and is still great for city traffic. All up about $550 installed. Money well spent in my mind, BTW tis a good idea to get your flywheel machined to match, or buy a light-weight racing wheel as well.!!

Happy shopping!!
$550 not too bad

how much would it go for just the clutch?

yeah I think I might just get a Heavy Duty, must be what I have inthere right now?

i say that coz thats hoe I bought the car, and now it is geting to the point that it will need replacing.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

bennyBear
06-10-2005, 11:13 PM
exedy organic clutch

Thats the one!!:D

I think you can get them off the shelf for about $425

LO_N_SXC
07-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Thats the one!!:D

I think you can get them off the shelf for about $425
$425 not bad at all

thats for the complete kit right?

bennjamin
07-10-2005, 09:33 AM
just chuck in a OEM item. Probably $450 installed - and feels fine. IF you are goign to sell at a mid-term date , who cares what you ride out now ?

00' coupe
07-10-2005, 09:56 AM
exedy sports organic is the way... but if your gonna sell it i would consider a cheaper one

bennyBear
07-10-2005, 07:46 PM
$425 not bad at all

thats for the complete kit right?

Yeah i'm pretty sure mate, not a huge price diff. to the oem clutch!! but definately a drivable difference!!

LO_N_SXC
10-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Yeah i'm pretty sure mate, not a huge price diff. to the oem clutch!! but definately a drivable difference!!
Yeah I might go for that, Plus i will install it my self.

Where could I get my hands on one?

or where did you get yours?

Cheers BennyBear :thumbsup:

VT3C
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Talk to Leo/HONDAR (JDM CONCEPT).. Exedy HD single disc will do you nicely. is substantially cheaper than an OEM replacement even after shipping to Perth !!

crxzzR
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
I picked up exedy h/d for my d16a8 for about 380

LO_N_SXC
11-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Talk to Leo/HONDAR (JDM CONCEPT).. Exedy HD single disc will do you nicely. is substantially cheaper than an OEM replacement even after shipping to Perth !!
I PM'ed Leo/Hondar he game a list of prices but two stand out - the Exedy Organic for $400 and $450 for the HD Button one

Wat would be better?

I'm leaning towards the Organic, for price and coz its organic :p

runwaycrackwhore
11-10-2005, 11:36 AM
i had a organic and it felt firmer than the oem, but wasnt such a bitch to drive.

i must admit my one didnt feel very grippy, maybe i bedded it in wrong.

mini_s2000
11-10-2005, 04:26 PM
exedy organic clutch was a great improvement over the standard clutch!

bennyBear
13-10-2005, 12:33 AM
yeah button clutch will definately piss any prospective buyer off! unless thats what they like they are a bit of a bitch to drive, the clutch pedal is like an on off switch, lol.

nickiipoohz
13-10-2005, 07:12 AM
has any used exedy button clutch or ceramic clutches? what is the difference in drivebility? also what do you mean by the clutch feels like a turn on and off switch?

LO_N_SXC
13-10-2005, 07:24 AM
has any used exedy button clutch or ceramic clutches? what is the difference in drivebility? also what do you mean by the clutch feels like a turn on and off switch?
He means that it can either be in or out of engagement, when its off that means you have your foot of the pedal, when its on there is very minimal slip and you can't realy ride the clutch for a smooth engagement, thus the clutch feels like it either On or Off.

nickiipoohz
13-10-2005, 07:31 AM
He means that it can either be in or out of engagement, when its off that means you have your foot of the pedal, when its on there is very minimal slip and you can't realy ride the clutch for a smooth engagement, thus the clutch feels like it either On or Off.

aahhhh thanks man, but does any one know the differences between the two? i mean, is the ceramic clutch a b*tch to drive? orr is the button clutch more of a b*tch? thanks