PDA

View Full Version : YOUR say on intakes

Newcivic
05-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Heya fellow civic drivers

Just wanted to know what CAI/Filters you got running in your car?
And if you were ever to upgrade to a better one, which one would it be?

Main reason for this is because i've got an Apexi filter on my EK1 now (with the hose to feed it more air) but people say doesn't work as well as the big names such as Injen, AEM, J's Racing & Mugen what are your opinions on this?

Also with those Injen ones that go down to where the resonator sits, do they really help your car perform better? Or would you look at something that sits in your engine bay (eg. J's racing aka whale di*k)

J-MuN
05-10-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm using a mugen one atm. Its working pretty well from what I have experienced but from hearing from others, the Injen intake seems to be very good too. Depending on the look that you want and how much you want to pay will help with your choice.

The combination that you're using atm must be relatively loud I'm guessing but if it was to be on a B16 engine, you would definitely hear the roar of vtec with your setup.

Newcivic
05-10-2005, 11:46 PM
OO thanks J-MuN so my setup ain't that bad afterall :D

sivic
06-10-2005, 12:22 AM
the injen ones ones sit in the wheel arch are very good for low and mid range torque.
your set up, as long as the piping feeding air to it actually works, woul d be ok once the car is actually moving. but from standstill isnt so good as they get heat soak. i had a similar set up and when i turned it off after a drive the intake pipe use to be pretty warm. i have a setup like the injen now and after a good drive the intake pipe is still nice and cold.
if you can get a sealed box around your pod with a cold air feed to it you'll have a really good set up. comptech makes such an intake

Illegal
06-10-2005, 12:42 AM
I had the AEM type-R CAI and it was the best I ever had. I have the j's copy now and it's ok, but more for looks. Better than other short rams though.

nobbs
06-10-2005, 12:52 AM
i used to have a hurricane pod filter with a generic aliminium pipe as my intake before, it was loud on vtec and the car felt a little more responsive than stock

but now ive gone with a j's racing intake, i noticed the difference straight away, more throttle response than the hurricane and also a deeper sound...i say for a n/a car a good intake = money well spent

Chi
06-10-2005, 01:02 AM
http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

**Ghost**
06-10-2005, 02:04 AM
ARC is the shizinit in my opinion

Photonic_Si
06-10-2005, 02:08 AM
GSXR ITBs. Never looked back :)

SiR
06-10-2005, 02:37 AM
So Injen CAI or Comptech Icebox? Which one's better, if there's such a thing.

I quite like the J's racing (whale penis), but the exposed Pod is just asking for trouble from the coppers...

Newcivic
06-10-2005, 08:36 AM
So which one guys, J's Racing or Injen/AEM full kit? :D

michael_antoi
06-10-2005, 08:51 AM
is the carbon fibre intake pipe better than the one with the chrome finish..

how about pvc pipe?

fadz
06-10-2005, 08:59 AM
hi can anyone answer this question...if u got a CAI setup to ur gaurd and ur pod is not visible i heard it is not a defect,onli on short ram intake wer ur pod is exposed it is a defect can anyone clarify this plz...

Perry
06-10-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm using a mugen one atm. Its working pretty well from what I have experienced but from hearing from others, the Injen intake seems to be very good too. Depending on the look that you want and how much you want to pay will help with your choice.

The combination that you're using atm must be relatively loud I'm guessing but if it was to be on a B16 engine, you would definitely hear the roar of vtec with your setup.

just asking wat EK do u drive ?

luzinit
06-10-2005, 09:43 AM
i have had j's racing copy and now injen cai. i like injen cai more, mainly due to heatsoak issue in summer. j's was more responsive, definitely but the apparent heat soak in the warmer months made me take it off n put the stock box on. injen works well, 14.9 with axleback, cant go wrong :)

lerroy
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
yeah i have a Blitz intake SRI design tends to get a lot of heat soak and i even made a cover but its hot very hot sounds good though

i just ordered a Comptech ice box heard some great reviews comments

tRipitaka
06-10-2005, 10:11 AM
just asking wat EK do u drive ?
EM1

ORACER
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
i use spoon kevlar intake arm w/spoon dropin filter now
got rid of my j's racing cf coz dont want to get deffected by pigs...

ITRBoI
06-10-2005, 11:02 AM
i used to have the apexi pod filter, but now using mugen....find mugen is a much better one!!! more performance

DOHCTR Coopz!
06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
i got the AEM v2.. im happy with it but i havent had anything else except the stock air box 2 compare too! :)

nobbs
07-10-2005, 12:27 AM
i use spoon kevlar intake arm w/spoon dropin filter now
got rid of my j's racing cf coz dont want to get deffected by pigs...

and i bought it off u hehe

Weq
07-10-2005, 12:43 AM
i sell a AEM copy intake for half the price. Aluminium, light, doesnt retain heat and puts the filter in the gaurd.. its a CAI for the price of a short ram ;) oh its legal 2 cause the filter is outside the engine bay.

SiR
07-10-2005, 02:53 AM
i have had j's racing copy and now injen cai. i like injen cai more, mainly due to heatsoak issue in summer. j's was more responsive, definitely but the apparent heat soak in the warmer months made me take it off n put the stock box on. injen works well, 14.9 with axleback, cant go wrong :)

Yeah, seems like Injen is the way to go...

Can I ask where you ordered it from? Was the installation complicated or did you get a mechanic to install it for you?

Thanks man.

mugeneration
07-10-2005, 12:47 PM
hi can anyone answer this question...if u got a CAI setup to ur gaurd and ur pod is not visible i heard it is not a defect,onli on short ram intake wer ur pod is exposed it is a defect can anyone clarify this plz...

Nar still just as defectable as a regular pod, my guess is the that coz the filter is hidden away an officer may be more inclined to believe its an air box?

Its defectable coz ur still changin the intake system from stock, sposed to get engineer's certificate.

Weq
08-10-2005, 12:20 AM
sir clear ur inbox :)

SiR
08-10-2005, 01:14 AM
sir clear ur inbox :)

Done! :)

hondar
09-10-2005, 12:05 AM
dont get bogged down by intake system.

intake system suppose to work with proper exhaust system.

purpose of intake system = get the air in so that your engine wont starve of air (that has oxygen) needed for combustion.

unlike turbo in which air is "rammed in" into the plenum and to combusion chamber,

honda 4 stroke engine doesnt work that way. (ie that is why it is called 4 stroke cycle, consist of intake, compression, power and exhaust stroke)

air is being drawn in as the engine expel its fume in the last cycle (exhaust stroke).

in a simple physic term, no air can be drawn in if the combustion chamber still contain fumes after the power stroke.

so how you expel the gases? thru ur exhaust manifold, (pass thru the catalytic converter to become harmless gas), and ur cat back. (ie complete exhaust system)

your stock exhaust doesnt expel as quick as it should thats why we bother to buy an aftermarket system (hope that you buy the right one) that will expel your gases efficiently so that it will (this is where the intake system play the role) drawn in as much air as possible for the next combustion process.

although diffferent system do has effect on how your car perform, kindly do consider upgrading your exhaust system as well when money permits.

lerroy
09-10-2005, 02:24 AM
thanks leo again very good info :P

ToFuBoi
09-10-2005, 03:40 AM
so... is the intake which dips down in to the resonator more effective then the short ram pod?.... using common sense i would think so as it is closer to the source of air coming in and further away from the engine (kinda).. but seems that short ram pods are more commonly used?..

can anyone verify?

hondar
09-10-2005, 02:11 PM
an intake system, the lenght of your pipe will affect how your car perform on the rev range.

how the air pod is position, doesnt really matter in that sense.

remember that in an n/a system, your air is not being "rammed-in" but "pulled-in" due the last cycle of the 4 stroke cycle -ie exhaust stroke

ToFuBoi
09-10-2005, 04:42 PM
the lenght of your pipe will affect how your car perform on the rev range.

so is there an optimum length? also can you pm me about the intakes u have for sale :D

hondar
09-10-2005, 11:24 PM
so is there an optimum length? also can you pm me about the intakes u have for sale :D

No optimum length. but if you are sort of DIY person, it is best to buy a proven CAI instead. wrong length of a pipe, you will lose power.

the length of pipe will affect flow capacity, flow quality and flow velocity.

Im not a CAI fan honestly. im not saying it is not a good system but with the pro and cons weigh out, im a hybrid fan of SRI (short ram intake for those who dont know) with enclosed box aka comptech icebox system.

the link is here for some info
link (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=364905&postcount=1)

silverabt
10-10-2005, 04:50 PM
CAI is a lot more effective

hondar
10-10-2005, 06:41 PM
CAI is a lot more effective

what do you mean by more effective? not having a go but just would like to listen comments.

Weq
10-10-2005, 06:49 PM
CAI is more effective. Not to long, not to short. Im talking real world. Not on a dyno with your bonnet open and SRI with big fan, im talking about realworld. CAI will give u the most power, the majority of the time, throughout the rev range.

Just datalog intake temps for a day with both setups, and u will know what i mean.

hondar
10-10-2005, 11:07 PM
CAI is more effective. Not to long, not to short. Im talking real world. Not on a dyno with your bonnet open and SRI with big fan, im talking about realworld. CAI will give u the most power, the majority of the time, throughout the rev range.

Just datalog intake temps for a day with both setups, and u will know what i mean.

I dont have any problem with CAI. i reckon they are a good system. i used to have them. lower end you can feel it but one big problem. it is very dirty. have you tried to take them off after a month of driving? it is a hassle to clean. ie remove the bumper, and the dirt it is collecting it is unbeliavable.

mainly thats the biggest reason im not for it.

if you look here
http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

CAI do outperform other system on certain rpm range. ie they are good system but

like i say, after weighin in pros and cons . i make my decision. :D