PDA

View Full Version : Building a Turbo D

02ZZI
06-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey all,
Sorry if i starting another thread was wrong please delete if so.

Anyways i am going to be turboing my d. My goal is 130kw atw's. I want this before i go into stronger internals. Ie going to drive that for ahwile til i get enough money for stronger internals.

Then i am hoping for 160kw atw's. I am pretty new to turbo's but i have pretty good mechanical knowledge. I have been told its better for my goal to build my own setup rather then go for a package (avo or greddy) how ever i havent been able to see any of the avo packages.

What do you guys think is the best option.

I am thinking of doing a mini me first then turboing to make the end goal more achievable or should that money be better spent.

I would rather this then going and doing a engine conversion.

Please help me guys

Thanks

saxman
06-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm all for turbo d's

I really don't think you would have any problem making 130kw with the stock internals/stock head, etc.

Without having any knowledge of the legality of a diy set up there, I would definetely say it's a far superior option to a kit.

LVNIT
06-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Do you want to keep the air conditioning? There are very cheap turbo manifolds going for US$200 on Honda-tech at the moment, but you cant keep the air conditioning.

Basically your going to need..

Manifold - AVO $680 or something similar
Turbo - Use a T28 from a S15 if your going to upgrade later on
Intercooler - You could use a $200 Hybrid Copy or buy the real thing
Injectors - http://stores.ebay.com/Tuner-Toys
Oil lines - http://stores.ebay.com/Tuner-Toys
Water lines - Clark Rubber
Exhaust & intercooler piping - $1200 is what I was quoted
Air Filter - $70

Your also going to need..
Engine management - Your choice
Clutch
Boost gauge - You dont NEED it, but good to have

I might have missed some things, dont flame me if the prices are off ;)

Of course when you upgrade then some things are going to have to be changed, in particular the turbo/injectors depending on what you buy.

Mugen_B16B
06-10-2005, 04:33 PM
should ask Weq, he didnt his car but he got internals etc but i think his car should have made 120-130kw at wheel easily on stock internals

Weq
06-10-2005, 04:46 PM
i made 125kw on a sohc vtec, greddy turbo kit (8.5psi) + intercooler + 440cc injectors + exhaust. i was over 140kw at 11psi. everything else stock. cant find my dyno. grrr.

LVNIT
06-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Here you go :)

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/500079/1.jpg

02ZZI
06-10-2005, 06:51 PM
can i use the same turbo? from my application now and what i want out of it in the future. Are using 550 injectors too big? My friends tell me that doing a mini me is a waste of money? is this true?

Weq
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
LVNIT: cheers dude, i seriously lost it!

what is a waste of money?

i already posted my setup above. i think its fine for u start researching and stop talking :) seriously. i read for 8months before my first turbo setup. then i started posting.

a good turbo for stock and built motors is a GT28r. there are plenty of varients, but they have a fairly good efficency range and work well. it will carry u over 170kw when the time comes, but get u to 130kw on stock internals.