PDA

View Full Version : How low can you go with stock shocks?

zoopsta
08-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi guys,

My question is what the title states: is it possible to get a little lower without killing the stock shocks?
Im gonna be gettin some 16" rims for the civic and i dont want it to look like a 4wd so i thought i made lower it a tiny bit if possible.

thx

SKREMN
08-10-2005, 11:00 PM
with stock shocks if you go to low you'll be hitting the bump stops and after time this will kill your shocks
you should be able to got a little lower with no probs

2DR33M
09-10-2005, 12:51 AM
i know my car is an accord but im down 3 1/2" front ans rear, its bumpy :P but it still rides just fine.. not sure how it would be for a civic tho

aimre
09-10-2005, 01:21 AM
My eg is on superlows with stock shocs.havent had n e probs after 10,000ks with em.
Also my cars done less that 100,000ks so i pretty sure that its still on factory shocks

zoopsta
09-10-2005, 01:47 AM
well i dont want to take it too far low - how low do superlows take you?

im thinking about 2 inches maximum if i wanted to drop my ride

STTICH
09-10-2005, 01:57 AM
had an EG running wth kings superlow, tat will bring u a drop of 60mm, ~2.5"

the ride was alright, quite comfy i'd say.

aozora
10-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Depends on spring rate and height? If they're roughly the same spring rate, there shouldn't be too much as long as there's ample stroke room with the height.

Btw there's a difference between comfy and bouncy :) Alot of people can't really tell the difference either... check for oil leaks around the strut where the piston enters the main body, you might have to lift up the rubber boot something though through the coils, that will surely tell you if they're screwed...

[[d a n n y]]
10-10-2005, 12:24 AM
anything lower than stock height will shorten the life of your shocks..

i'd say 2.5" will be the lowest u wanna take it

if lower it'll kill your shocks very quicly

zoopsta
10-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Well how does 1.75-2" sound? Im going slightly for looks (a better stance) as well as giving me a marginally stiffer ride - because right now its is very soft with stock springs (gli EG civic).

thx

genk-jomblo
26-10-2005, 03:17 PM
never cut your original spring .. just get a new uncut spring (order super low if possible to avoid 'spring cut') so the car's damping still good :)

26-10-2005, 05:54 PM
]']anything lower than stock height will shorten the life of your shocks..

i'd say 2.5" will be the lowest u wanna take it

if lower it'll kill your shocks very quicly

2inches would be fine.. thats about the max i would go with stock shocks... after that you shocks die quick,

dont cut your springs:thumbdwn: , just buy some lowered ones:thumbsup: .,.. usually they are stiffer anyways... are more bumpy ride than stock.

ekslut
27-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Its almost impossible to tell how long stock shocks will last. It all depends on what condiditon the shocks are in, how much lowered is it, what type of surfaces you drive on, etc.... But I doubt they will last too long

aozora
28-10-2005, 02:23 AM
never cut your original spring .. just get a new uncut spring (order super low if possible to avoid 'spring cut') so the car's damping still good :)

That's if the other replacement springs have the same spring rate/height (less of a factor but still...)...

SiR JDM
30-10-2005, 04:44 PM
This was my setup for awhile, on stock shocks

http://members.optusnet.com.au/%7Eakaisen/personal/civic/6.jpg

I dont think i had this setup for long enough to realise if it did any damage to stock shocks but its general consensus that anything that puts extra strain on your shocks would decrease their life.

spetz
01-11-2005, 12:01 AM
A friend has 2" lowered pedders springs on koni yellow shocks.

The other day I was swapping his front springs to pass a defect and the bumpstops were a bit stuffed... so even at 2" it has hit them.

However it never seems to hit bumpstops, I think that happened in a couple of extreme cases on unfamiliar roads

simon
01-11-2005, 12:04 AM
]']anything lower than stock height will shorten the life of your shocks..

just to add on that, when are you "meant to" change your stock shocks?

mj3610
01-11-2005, 08:27 AM
hondas have good stockies u wont have to worry about the shoks wearing out anytime soon...

Slugoid
02-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Contrary to what a lot of people have said, I strongly disagree with the lowered springs + stock shocks combo. I have my Accord lowered by only 1" with Eibach pro's with stock shocks. It was alright at the start, but after 6 months, I could already feel the shocks were wearing down a lot. I guess the biggest tell tail sign that shocks are worn is that it is really bouncy and hitting the bumpstop. I pretty much agree with Danny....anything lower than stock height will shorten the life of your shocks.