PDA

View Full Version : technicalities with shaving locks

MoDCoN
09-10-2005, 05:39 PM
hey guys, i wanted to know whether anyone here has shavedtheir door locks, and if so, how was it? do you have any problems with central locking? and what happens if your remote battery dies? do you have to bash the window in? lol....

thanks for any replies...

Lukezen27
09-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Bump for interest coze I’d love to lose my door key holes :D

ONV73C
09-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Shave the door locks but leave the boot key hole. Then leave a spare remote battery in the boot just incase...

that's what i do.. works for me:thumbsup:

EGB16A
09-10-2005, 06:32 PM
I got eg sedan rear handles on my eg hatch ie. no door locks....

i've had my remote stuff up... but i hooked up a switch through a solenoid to open the passenger side door. I hid the switch so only i know where it is, so no1 can open my door :D

Lukezen27
09-10-2005, 06:35 PM
So you have a remote that openned the door for you?

ONV73C
09-10-2005, 06:42 PM
So you have a remote that openned the door for you?

Yeh i've got that setup... door handles have been shaved too.

The remote de-arms the car and unlocks the doors, second remote button pops the driver's door open. Through the use of a solenoid, same as Lukezen27

Lukezen27
09-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Yeh i've got that setup... door handles have been shaved too.

The remote de-arms the car and unlocks the doors, second remote button pops the driver's door open. Through the use of a solenoid, same as Lukezen27

sweet

Looks hot on you car :thumbsup:

Anyone got pic's of this done on a EG hatchie?

traNce_gl
09-10-2005, 09:25 PM
I have mine done.. i take a pic tomorrow arvo.. If noone posted a pic by then

ONV73C
09-10-2005, 11:13 PM
I have a step by step PDF doc on shaving if ur interested.

It's for an LS but you can apply the same concept.

EG5[KRT]
09-10-2005, 11:50 PM
hm.. how hard is it to take out old door handles on egs??

coz i got a set of door handles ready to go in ..

MoDCoN
10-10-2005, 01:14 PM
I have a step by step PDF doc on shaving if ur interested.

It's for an LS but you can apply the same concept.

that'd be great... how can i get it? got a link?

wynode
10-10-2005, 01:33 PM
This doesn't belong in the Technical forum.

Why did you post it here MoDCoN ? :confused:

buzz_civic
11-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Just out of curiousity....isn't illegal to have shaven door handles on a hatchback?? because what happens if you get in an accident and the fire rescue people can't get in because you got no door handles.

taizon
11-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Just out of curiousity....isn't illegal to have shaven door handles on a hatchback?? because what happens if you get in an accident and the fire rescue people can't get in because you got no door handles.

smash the window in, n unlock it from the inside????

nahh.. good question. i would also like to kno that tooo

joonix
11-10-2005, 09:38 PM

It's completely illeagle to remove external mechanical door opening systems on any vehicle, regardless of the number of doors.

You MUST have an external mechanical method for opening the doors.

Most hotrods and customs have the locks shaved off, then fit a small push pull release on the top of the door. The release looks just like an internal locking device, but operates as a door release instead.

like this :

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/9717/shaved0al.jpg

There are plenty of kits available. Pick up a copy of Street Machine.

You will need an engineer to certify all work done. Best talk to one before you start.

EZZY
11-10-2005, 10:00 PM
to make it legal, you'd need an external method of opening for each door/hatckback, and a notice/sticker telling ppl where it is, so in an emergency, ppl can open the door to get you out, instead of cutting the door(s) open etc.

check with your local RTA/RACV etc for the guideline.

MoDCoN
11-10-2005, 11:12 PM
This doesn't belong in the Technical forum.

Why did you post it here MoDCoN ? :confused:

sorry wyn... thought it was technical, rather than particularly specific to eg's... my bad!

taizon
12-10-2005, 12:20 AM
didn't kno that it was illegal..
my passenger side door key whole is covered up..

hopefulli no one notices it

ONV73C
12-10-2005, 11:16 AM
that'd be great... how can i get it? got a link?

anyone who would like a copy PM me ur email address.

Captiva_Blue
12-10-2005, 03:20 PM
It's completely illeagle to remove external mechanical door opening systems on any vehicle, regardless of the number of doors.

You MUST have an external mechanical method for opening the doors.

Most hotrods and customs have the locks shaved off, then fit a small push pull release on the top of the door. The release looks just like an internal locking device, but operates as a door release instead.

like this :

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/9717/shaved0al.jpg

There are plenty of kits available. Pick up a copy of Street Machine.

You will need an engineer to certify all work done. Best talk to one before you start.

Where are you getting that from, just out of curiosity? What about cars like the TVR Tuscan 2, T350c or the Griffith which only has a solenoid operated by a button on the mirror? They're legal for road use in australia.. so, how does that work?

EZZY
12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Where are you getting that from, just out of curiosity?
any half decent engineers will tell you the same

What about cars like the TVR Tuscan 2, T350c or the Griffith which only has a solenoid operated by a button on the mirror? They're legal for road use in australia.. so, how does that work?
they are fine, because the companies have spent countless money on getting their systems ADR approved

SCRAPN
13-10-2005, 12:22 AM
you tell em ezzy

Nuttz
13-10-2005, 05:41 PM
is that kinda like asking how come harley davisons are allowed on the roads with their loud exhausts?

ps. if u have no door handles they will just bring in the jaws of life :) open your car up like a can of tuna hahaha