PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild/reco?

MoDCoN
09-10-2005, 05:46 PM
hey guys, just curious to find out what would need to be done to an engine with a good 200,000kms on it i.e an old EG Si engine in order to turbo it? Would it need a full rebuild? or would getting a later d series be cheaper???

thanks for your help turbo heads! :P

Weq
09-10-2005, 11:49 PM
compression test and then turbo it. 200k's is fine IMO, all depends on how well its been looked after. If the engine is stuffed, u can get it rebuilt for boost if u want, or u can swap in another d-series. its all upto u and ur budget.

Slaz
06-11-2005, 04:31 AM
As weq says, with 200k on it id be doing the basic's such as bearings and checking of oil pump and throwing in a set of 81.25 VTIR Integra pistons with a bore and hone to bring the comp down for peice of mine.

Nice rebuild with rods ( eagles or if you.ve got the cash pauter or crowers ) and forged pistons such as CP's would the best way to go, depends on what boost you plan on running?

Slaz.

STTICH
06-11-2005, 05:55 AM
IMO wth 200k putting on a turbo will be pushing it. is true tat the fact if the engine was well taken care of, it may b alright. but still considering there are so many EG's having problems even b4 hitting 200k..there may b a certain amount of risk u bare turbocharging one tat has done such ks.

why not consider b series? they cost around ~3-4g i suppose?

BLKCRX
06-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Iv stripped down Honda engines with more than 200,000km on them and still the bearings and cylinder walls look perfect ! do a compression test, a leak down test and even put the car on the dyno n see how healthy the engine is.
A full engine rebuild can be stupidly expensive by the time you consider all the replacement parts, from bearings to gaskets, to belts n pumps the list goes on and on.
But my advice is if your going to do it, do it once correctly the first time.

Regards James

ProECU
06-11-2005, 02:47 PM
James

you forgot to mention your motor again in this thread, lol

VTi_b0i
06-11-2005, 02:54 PM
anoyone know how much roughly it would cost to rebuild a D series motor dor turbo? like just a rebuild wif forgies n wateva to run a turbo nicely for everyday purposes?

saxman
06-11-2005, 05:25 PM
as stated, do a compression test and a leakdown test... if all is well, boost away, no reason to do more..

and please don't put oem pistons(see above post about using integra pistons with increased bored and lower comp) in... if you're going to change pistons, get some real ones.

string
27-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Definately do not use a stock honda piston. They love to have holes melted through them or have ring lands peel off; So if you are into that sorta thing then stock will be perfect for you! :D

saxman
27-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Definately do not use a stock honda piston. They love to have holes melted through them or have ring lands peel off; So if you are into that sorta thing then stock will be perfect for you! :D
you're right... give the car a shitty tune, and watch the pistons commit suicide

they amazingly don't do that when you have a good tune though

yourfather
02-12-2005, 12:56 PM
i didnt think that forgies were all that much more than regular oem ones anyway

mercury
08-12-2005, 10:40 PM
rebuilding honda engines are expensive arent they? around 2k? correct me if im wrong.

Weq
08-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Jimmeh can get u a set of weisco pistons for $750 :) they arnt that exxy.

rebuilding an engine which is already out, ur looking at about $700 + pistons and rods and any other pumps/seals u wanna replace other then the basics.
so a built bottom end can set u back 3-4k.

yourfather
09-12-2005, 05:19 AM
if you were to boost would you need forged rods too?

saxman
09-12-2005, 08:39 AM
if you were to boost would you need forged rods too?
the rods are the weakest link in the engine. So, if you're rebuilding an engine for boost, and putting forged pistons in, it would be very stupid to try to use stock rods.

yourfather
09-12-2005, 02:17 PM
yeah I thought so, so pistons are about 750 or so, and then forgies about the same on top of that yeah?