PDA

View Full Version : how can pod filter really affect low end??

Jazzle
10-10-2005, 02:15 PM
guys,, this is a techniical question and not an argument ok??

see,, we should all know that pod filter + cai if not done properly (i know if done properly, it wouldn't affect) will decrease the low end torque,,,...

but HOW?? does it do anything with the larger amount of air suck into engine?? or more to do with the exhaust department?

asiansquad
10-10-2005, 02:27 PM
it'll be sucking in hot air if it's not done properly

VT3C
10-10-2005, 04:04 PM
is a myth like backpressure ;)

Jazzle
10-10-2005, 06:31 PM
but if it is sucking hot air.. it will not only decrease low end torque but also the horsepower.. which means useless right...

wat im asking is... y would pod filter increase highend hp while decrease low end torque??

Lukezen27
10-10-2005, 07:01 PM
is a myth like backpressure ;)

So True :)

MoDCoN
10-10-2005, 07:21 PM
whaddya mean, a myth like backpressure? doesnt it exist?

Lukezen27
10-10-2005, 07:31 PM
whaddya mean, a myth like backpressure? doesnt it exist?

Not till about 3" on a 1.6L engine :D

Weq
10-10-2005, 08:39 PM
on the street, its due to heat. heat means less power, simple. once the car gets moving the airflow negates the effect and the airflow and allows the intake to shine.

sivic
10-10-2005, 08:56 PM
a pod wont decrease low end torque. overly large intake piping will.
again it comes down to gas velocity. if you achieve a high intake velocity you'll get better better atomisation of fuel and air = better burn.
mind you this only seems to affect low end. and even then the affects of overly large intake piping are nowhere near as apparent an overly large exhaust.
i didnt think the intake would make too much difference but i went from a 3" short ram to a 2.75" CAI style intake. besides getting noticably more torque in mid and low range i got a lot less soot buildup on the rear bar from the exhaust. basically the car ran a lot cleaner. i did notice a slight loss in top end power however..... except on super cold nights where the CAI really shined.

normally i would atribute any of this just to the cold air vs heat soaked filter but after looking through a number of dyno comparisons, where both setup are exposed to same intake temp, the differences can be seen

Weq
10-10-2005, 09:11 PM
for the street, u dont have the bonnet open and the same intake temps.

VTi_b0i
10-10-2005, 09:17 PM
so wat can i do to fix it? for perfect results do i need to make a box to go around it? i dont really want to do that as i dont want to drill holes in my engine bay to mount the box...or will taking out the resonator and everything and running a pipe to the front bumper do enuf?ive taken out the resonator and stock piping alredy, but havent got the CAI pipe yet...

lerroy
10-10-2005, 09:18 PM
get a comptech ice box or a box like the comptech from ebay
that way best of both worlds SRI and CAI

sivic
10-10-2005, 09:31 PM
for the street, u dont have the bonnet open and the same intake temps.
exactly.
of course in real life intake temp is a factor but the advantage of the dyno comparison allows this factor to be ruled out of the variables and the affects of the intake design alone to be compared
so yeah, basically ideal setup is a short ram with an enclosed pod and a cold air feed

VTi_b0i
10-10-2005, 09:34 PM
ok thanks mate ill go have a look :)
anyone know why underneath my subscribed threads it has some "Latest Reputation Received" :s today is the first time ive seen it and i have no idea wat it is lol