PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problems

DOCH16
10-10-2005, 02:43 PM
i have a 92 crx vtec
just wondering does anyone know how much it is gonna cost to get
a new or reconditioned gearbox fitted and where to get it done in Melb
and how much it would cost for a LSD gearbox or would it be cheaper to recondition the Gearbox thats already in the car

problem is that 3rd crunches been told its the syncro

VT3C
10-10-2005, 03:41 PM
whoa.. bad news is there's NO cheap option here.. replacement g-box IF you can get a decent condiyion item is not much short of $2k plus up to $500 labour.

type R box (LSD) getting very rare and expensive and hard to find in good condition.

and to rebuild your existing box will be between 1k and 3k depending on what actually needs fixing and parts etc.

have you tried just dumping your gearbox fluid and flushing with HONDA MTF ?

Civic Type R
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
you can get ITR B series with LSD second hand boxes for about $1800 on these forums.

A full synchro set from Honda is farken expen$$ive.

Bede, no fluid change will alleviate the syntoms of gear crunching in Honda boxes. Maybe for Nissans but.

I was quoted on a full rebuild to be $1500. - B16A box

But im in Perth dude.

DOCH16
12-10-2005, 01:41 PM
thanks for the advise guys
i might have to get some qoutes
ive heard of places doin it for around $1500
in melbourne as well

VT3C
12-10-2005, 02:17 PM
you can get ITR B series with LSD second hand boxes for about $1800 on these forums.

yeah but as you'd know you might just be buying another fkd gearbox that also needs a rebuild :cool:

Bede, no fluid change will alleviate the syntoms of gear crunching in Honda boxes. Maybe for Nissans but.

Well I wouldnt know about Nissans, but believe me, changing to THE CORRECT MTF (compared to very old or the wrong type of MTF) can alleviate crunching etc. also look at your clutch friction point adjustment. ;)

A full synchro set from Honda is farken expen$$ive.
I was quoted on a full rebuild to be $1500. - B16A box

that's what I was saying man !!
"rebuild" depends on WHAT exactly you are replacing.. my estimation included new replacement gearset and bearings.

:rolleyes:

Civic Type R
12-10-2005, 02:23 PM
and not to mention I have already gone thru 3 gearboxes to date

Ferrari
12-10-2005, 02:52 PM
and not to mention I have already gone thru 3 gearboxes to date

Just wondering why you have gone through so many boxes? Tracking the car, driving method?

Also where is the drainage hole to change the transmission fluid?, I want to do a service, with honda MTF.

Civic Type R
12-10-2005, 03:05 PM
My b16A gearbox was worn out from 5 years of use and i needed a full rebuild. So I purchased a ITR box from Singapore and had that installed. 3 days later it siezed up because it was a faulty box. I sent it elsewhere to get rebuilt, using some parts from my old B16a box as the siezed items in the B18cR box were too expensive to get. 2 years later this box went thru its synchros and required another full rebuild.

Total cost.$4000 +- $100

Lubricants, ive been thru them and tested them from Redline to Honda MTF.
The drainage bolt is near the bottom of the box and by memory its a 18 or 19mm bolt.

VT3C
12-10-2005, 04:23 PM
cant be 2 years adam, only did MY swap ~12 months ago and you did yours just after..

that was my point of reference in saying that buying a used box can result in a rebuild..

you're confusing the guy bro !!

anyway you should be able to get SOMETHIGN sorted for around $2k wether you rebuild your old one or buy dsomething else.

who was the last guy to re-build your box ? he must've done a good jobby..

Civic Type R
12-10-2005, 04:29 PM
It was 2 years bede. Ive had the JDM engine for 12 months now and the ITR box went in 12 months before that.

The last crew to do the box were Perfect transmissions.

Buying anything used comes with the risks. Buyer beware, both of us know all about that

VT3C
12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
oops I fergotted that u got the ITR box with the B16A for a while..

DOCH16
12-10-2005, 06:20 PM
yeh i might try the MTF first

DOCH16
14-10-2005, 11:42 AM
is it easy to change the MTF myself or should i just get someone else to do it