PDA

View Full Version : Headunit install... any ideas??

EK Civic R
11-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Any ideas??

I hooked up my new pioneer headunit..
it was all working when I set it up...

But when I unwired to connect the wires properly it stopped working..
I have power coming through and I've check/changed all the fuses, but still the unit doesn't power up..

Any ideas what I may have not checked..

Fhrx
11-10-2005, 10:09 AM
May I respectfully suggest that if you have to ask such questions then please have the unit professionaly installed. :(

baby_c
11-10-2005, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=EK Civic R]

I have power coming through and I've check/changed all the fuses, but still the unit doesn't power up..

QUOTE]

u have power or dont u have power ?? =)

newmski
11-10-2005, 12:09 PM
when u "unwired" was your battery on or off?

ian_and1
11-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Your ground might be loose ?
Also is it a head unit with a detacable face ? if so make sure is it placed on nice and snug :)

zorrt
11-10-2005, 04:32 PM
check ignition, active, earth cables are all correct. did you disconnect the battery while u were playing with it (all u need to do is remove the negative cuz its easier)? if not, did u hear a spark light noise etc when you were playing with it? If so have you checked all your fuses properly? There should be one for the HU, newer model have fuse on the back of unit, older will require inline fuse. there is also the fuse box inside your car which houses all the fuses for the accessories.

Make sure u check things thoroughly before reconnecting your car battery incase theres a short somewhere. When you connected "properly" did you cover your soldering points with electrical tape at least? heatshrink would be best. if you still cant work it out try starting over or taking it to the shops to save urself the hassle.

dont know of your experience level or anything so sorry if everything i've suggested is dead basic but yea, hope it helps.

Flanderz
11-10-2005, 04:38 PM
check ur ground wire, replace it with a nice quality cable and find a nice bare bit of metal on the chassis to bolt onto, I had the same prob in commonwhore and it was shitty old wires.

JEZ83L
11-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I just installed my own last w'end... Pioneer DEH-P1Y.

If you did not disconnect the battery, as mentioned by Zorrt, you could have blown a fuse... The HU I have had in-line fuses, I think, one for the Battery/Constant power and the other for ACC/switched... Check those too?

I did the same as you but made sure I disconnect my battery every time I fiddled with the wires.

And if you need to ask questions like this it means you are starting out in a fun hobby, stick to it and keep asking questions or you'll be paying other people good money to do something you can do yourself with the right knowledge.

Professional installs are not always as "professional" as the installers say they are. I have seen some shocking installs done by certain well know places and wires are not soldered properly and you sped more time finding out what went wrong rather than enjoying you new system.

Keep at it 'cause it's much, much more rewarding listening to a system you installed yourself! I say this not because I want to be a dick but because ,while I am still begining too, I have had more fun dong it myself and learning at the same time.

EK Civic R
12-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys...

Yea I installed HU in my old car and friends car, but never had any problems like this...

I did disconnect and checked all fuses, in car and on head unit...

I don't wanna pay $$$ for something I can do... but this problem confusing...
I've even gotten the HU checked out, but no probs...

hmmm....
maybe I give it one more shot, if all fails then I'll have to take it in..

thanks again

newmski
12-10-2005, 09:19 AM
what do you mean checked?
probly easiest way for you is get a car battery or similar 12v battery and hook it up to your HU (outside of car). If it works somethings wrong with ur car wiring "fuse/crapppy ground etc" now get ureself a multimeter and check that ur getting 12v or there abouts through your wiring in your car (hook the multimeter to the actual wires that would be going into your HU ...
if the multimeter reads you as having a nice 12v and your previous examination of the headunit showed it as working outside of the car....then farks me

Captiva_Blue
12-10-2005, 03:26 PM
By connecting it properly do you mean that you used a soldering iron? If you used a 240volt mains operated iron you may have fried the HU... Unfortunately I found that out the hard way.. :o

J-MuN
12-10-2005, 03:33 PM
May I respectfully suggest that if you have to ask such questions then please have the unit professionaly installed. :(
I agree man. Not trying to disrespect you but get it professionally installed to avoid any further problems to your car or unit.

destrukshn
13-10-2005, 08:46 AM
could of f'd the power wire to your headunit.
that happens if it touches a negative (ground) and it could f it up.
i've seen alot of people doing that.