PDA

View Full Version : [DIY] Full Car Re-spray

my_honda
11-10-2005, 12:04 PM
:wave: hey there,

Just like to know if anyone has tackled this themselves or if there are any re-sprayers here to lend a hand.

I wanna do this to my 5th Gen Prelude. I now theres two ways depending on the colour. For a dark respray, you can just rubb it back and make to paint really smooth. Then body filler any dents and stuff. Then prime and paint using 2 pak.

As for my car, i have a wine red colour and wanna take it to a METALLIC BLACK. Just wanna know the specifics..

*what sand paper to use (wet & dry?)
*Using the thinner and hardner with the 2 pak paint? Mixing basically. :rolleyes:
*Priming and the cleat coat
and any other steps?

I also wanna buy a thrash car for the track & 1/4 strip which would save me some money by doing this. A civic maybe??? That would come later ;)

Thanks Heaps.

Lukezen27
11-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm doing bits here and there with my dad

Use any filler as long as the dings are not to big

Sandpaper start 400GW/D = 800W/D last 1200W/D

Spray putty, is the shiiz nit

Tho I'm only doing my bodykit and not to sure if I have the balls to try the whole car :p

my_honda
11-10-2005, 01:50 PM
i've worked a bit on kits with a mate. He can sand and prime which takes a bit of time but makes the difference in price when getting it painted. I've heard that you can rent a both/oven for a day. Might look into that to make this thing legit ;)

Lukezen27
11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
i've worked a bit on kits with a mate. He can sand and prime which takes a bit of time but makes the difference in price when getting it painted. I've heard that you can rent a both/oven for a day. Might look into that to make this thing legit ;)

Let me know how you go?

I was just going to make my own booth out of plastic and tent pegs :D

dsp26
21-05-2007, 12:56 PM
bumping this...

was just wondering if anyone could assist me in the application of putty and respraying over it.

I just removed the spoiler from my Del Sol and in the process of covering up the holes.
All puttied and sanded flat...

going to spray it soon but was wondering on any tips to smooth/merge the colour from the respray/factory colour. I would think it's easy enough though as car colour is white.

any tips appreciated. Thanks

***EDIT***
oh and sandpaper grit for smoothing the respray before i clearcoat it. Thanks

hugo
21-05-2007, 02:01 PM
go to "autobody101" forums for information
http://autobody101.com/forums/
here example of member work:
http://autobody101.com/forums/about5183.html
good luck

JasonGilholme
21-05-2007, 02:21 PM
black plugs ftw!!!

Its what i've got :D:D:D

Bayani
21-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah; about $3 at supercheap.
Grommets.

dsp26
21-05-2007, 11:13 PM
hugo: thanks, will do some research

JG/Bayani: lol mates i wish i had that luxury.. i had to scrape off some rust directly around the bolt holes due to flaky rubber gasket between spoiler and boot.

i'm surprised how light that thing is though... not doing it for the weight savings though, just improved rear vision.