PDA

View Full Version : Resonator on DC2R: take out or not?

TyPaR
12-10-2005, 04:16 PM
hey all just been wondering about the resonator on my DC2R. I have been told that all it is really for is for deadening the noise and that taking it out will help to increase flow through the exhaust. Just need to know if it is worth taking out or any other relevant information. Thanks :)

VT3C
12-10-2005, 04:28 PM
resonator on your intake or exhaust ?

intake resonator just alters the resonance/frequency of sound waves eminating from your intake manifold to make the engine less noisy.

resonator on your exhuast doesnt really restrict flow as it's a straight-thru design, yet does restrict noise.

rocky_b
12-10-2005, 04:35 PM
isnt it illegal to not have a resonator?
thats wat i've heard... but it'll be blardee loud without one :D..bad for the coppers.. defect ur ass man :(

fly_vti
12-10-2005, 06:06 PM
take that resonator out, and face a whopping $2k plus fine from the epa if you are caught!

lighty01
12-10-2005, 06:12 PM
take that resonator out, and face a whopping $2k plus fine from the epa if you are caught!
nooo dude, ur mistaking the resonator for the cat converter.. if u take the converter out then ull get majorly dun for.. if u take out the resonator the zorst just gets louder... worst thatll happen is a defect but it doesnt make it that much louder...

fly_vti
12-10-2005, 06:14 PM
oh yeah, sorry. thought about the wrong thing. well check with the rta. if nothigns against it then go 4 it.. and get that defect! lol

lighty01
12-10-2005, 06:24 PM
if everyone was afraid of getting defected we would all be driving around stock carz... im not encouragin anyone to try and get defected but its one if the consiquences some pplz are willing to take when modding their car..

tinkerbell
12-10-2005, 08:01 PM
hey all just been wondering about the resonator on my DC2R. I have been told that all it is really for is for deadening the noise and that taking it out will help to increase flow through the exhaust. Just need to know if it is worth taking out or any other relevant information. Thanks :)

are you talking about the airbox under the bumper for the air intake?

i took mine out, it is slightly lounder, but i am sure it is better for breathability (i.e. power)

the resonator in the exhaust pipe generally does not impede airflow.

r`Geno
12-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Remove it, big bottleneck and it's perfectly legal.

iamhappy46
12-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Airbox resonator cancels or increases certain frequencies, like an acoustic guitar has the hole in it...

bennyBear
13-10-2005, 12:30 AM
makes it heaps louder mate, if you have extractors it makes your zorst sound like a boat, lol. Is good but the zorst note 'resonates' through the cabin alot. takes some getting used too!!

TyPaR
13-10-2005, 07:51 AM
thanks for the replies. sorry i didnt specify, i meant the resonator in the exhaust. So i guess taking it out only makes my exhaust louder and get me a defect. :o Just wondering if it would still be legal if it was taken out and was under the legal db limit? i still got my standard exhaust.

tinkerbell
13-10-2005, 08:51 AM
yes it *could* be legal, no it would not improve anything...