PDA

View Full Version : Break Dust

94CIVICVTI
13-10-2005, 02:55 PM
hey, ive recently got DBA slottle cross drilled rotars with new pads around 2 months ago and there appears to be excessive break dust... is this normal and occuring from the slotted rotars or just the new pads? havent changed breaking style since the upgrade but noticed dust is so much heavier around my rims...

Captiva_Blue
13-10-2005, 03:21 PM
That's normal when breaking in new pads. Hope you've been going easy on them (minimising squeal) because if you treat them like already broken in components, you'll end up glazing the pads or even fracturing the friction material.

94CIVICVTI
13-10-2005, 03:48 PM
shit hey. what does that mean? (glazing the pads and fracture friction material?)
i hear fain squeeling when im slowing right down...
how long to break them in?> like i said i got them 2 months ago...

Captiva_Blue
13-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Glazing is where the pad material becomes too smooth (almost glass like, hence the name) to grip properly against the brake rotor. Apparently, this can be rectified by doing a 100km/h to near zero stop (sometimes 2 are needed) to remove the glazed surface. !BUT! you shouldn't stop altogether as this can cause the pad to make an imprint on the rotor, nor should you apply the handbrake straight after doing this.

Cracking (fracturing the friction material) occurs when too much heat is created in the pad before the material has properly stabilised during the break-in period causing the friction material of the pad to literally crack (not big cracks, usually just hairline fractures). Once this has happened, the pad is useless and will start to fall apart after a short while.

You should have gotten some info on breakin periods with the pads and rotors so have a look (breakin varies for different types of rotors and different pad materials). It's measured in KMs not months so how many have you driven since the upgrade?

94CIVICVTI
13-10-2005, 04:05 PM
about 2500km... they still seem to break fine. i was told to take it easy for first 1000km, did this but breaked really hard only once or twice because i need to, had a little smoke come from the brakes

Jomsy
13-10-2005, 04:06 PM
lots of dust in normal so dont worry, it's just the different pad/rotor compounds

SINISTR
13-10-2005, 04:12 PM
You will find that some pads will dust more than others.

Its not so much to do with the braking ability but the composition of actual pad.

For exemple normal Bendix pads will leave your wheels almost black after a couple of months use while. Bendix performance leave almost next to none.

94CIVICVTI
13-10-2005, 04:18 PM
yeh mine are bendix. not the performance ones.

tinkerbell
13-10-2005, 04:53 PM
hey, ive recently got DBA slottle cross drilled rotars with new pads around 2 months ago and there appears to be excessive break dust... is this normal and occuring from the slotted rotars or just the new pads? havent changed breaking style since the upgrade but noticed dust is so much heavier around my rims...

BRAKE

B_R_A_K_E

Captiva_Blue
13-10-2005, 04:59 PM
BRAKE

B_R_A_K_E

Yay, you won the spelling bee! Congratulations tinkerbell! :p

tinkerbell
13-10-2005, 05:03 PM
thank you, thank you very much,

it was long long ago in primary school where i learnt to spell...

tinkerbell
13-10-2005, 05:05 PM
yeh mine are bendix. not the performance ones.

my bendix "ultimates" gave off heaps of black dust and ripped the rotors to shreads...

Spunkymonkey
13-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Bendix performance leave almost next to none.

That's a very general statement mate.....perhaps its best to post from your own experience eg. you find the bendix ultimates, or kings performance is very good for price.

There are plenty of decent brake pads available, it just depends on the application your after. Other brands eg. EBCs, Pagids, Ferodo etc. It just depends how much your willing to pay.

I'm using Ferodo DS2500s on the front, and yes heaps of dust, because they are a softer compound, but they pull up extremely well.

oh and my motto when it comes to brake pads/tyres/suspension....If it saves you just one day....its worth the money ;)

94CIVICVTI
14-10-2005, 01:40 AM
cheers for the feed back guys.
and yeah break/brake. ... haha. spelling nazi :p

crxzzR
14-10-2005, 05:28 PM
If ur brakes pull up well u'll most likely have soft compound pads..
This is good
but at an expense coz of the excessive brake dust..
I'm using EBC greenstuff... on my DBA xdrilled slotteds.. still bedding it in..
and it seems to be going along smoothly

If u guys have Excessive brake dust... buy a bottle of Wheel Acid .. dilute it about 40% Acid 60% water.. and spray onto wheels..[don't try it on chromies..] leave on for 30 seconds and then rinse it off with a high pressure hose... if u dont have that just hose it off..
I use this stuff @ work on the BMW's and the pads are far more dustier than any other.. but it does the job well..

iamhappy46
14-10-2005, 08:07 PM
if you check with DBA, Slotteds are designed to remove glazing by 'cutting' into the pad and removing the glazing. I have used and recommended slotteds on nearly all of my customers cars with bendix pads but they do dust a little more.
My friends make jokes that I paint my chrome Zepters ;) but nothing a little soap & water can't fix

HondaCivic
17-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah im quite sick of all my brake dust, im using bendix ult's and yeah bit of dust, after a week or so my white wheels are gray at the front and white on the rear, lol but yeah some maguires pink stuff car wash lifts it off nicely :D