PDA

View Full Version : cam timing

michael_antoi
13-10-2005, 11:48 PM
i did a search but i couldn't find much, or couldn't understand it

could someone explain to me what this is

does it have something to do with the timing of the valves opening and closing with the pistons compressing the air?

i hear alot about advancing timing by 1 degree or whatever...

whats this all mean

thanks in advance guys

MoDCoN
14-10-2005, 12:00 AM
man there needs to be a section where they explain this stuff so that we can learn it all...

advancing your timing is where you adjust a cam gear using a timing light to alter your intake/compression/combustion/exhaust cycle... they use retarded timing for turbo set ups and advanced to run higher grade fuel...

:D

Eclipsor
14-10-2005, 01:09 AM
aren't you talking about ignition timing? There's two types of timing generally spoken about. Ignition timing and cam timing. Ignition adjusts the distributer to change the point that the spark fires in the cycle. cam timing uses adjustable cam gears to adjust the point in the cycle that the valves open. Thats as good(or bad) as my explanations get though. I think its right. ;)

edit: more info here: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/insidetechnology/0208scc_insidetechnology01a/

DLO01
14-10-2005, 07:52 AM
man there needs to be a section where they explain this stuff so that we can learn it all...

advancing your timing is where you adjust a cam gear using a timing light to alter your intake/compression/combustion/exhaust cycle... they use retarded timing for turbo set ups and advanced to run higher grade fuel...

locote
14-10-2005, 11:17 AM
cam timing is something you should attempt, unless u know what u are doing and have the right cam gears.
ignition timing adj is something u shouldnt attemp unless u know what u are doin and have a timing light.
its just so easy to mess it up and ic can cost u ur engine.

saxman
14-10-2005, 02:32 PM
aren't you talking about ignition timing? There's two types of timing generally spoken about. Ignition timing and cam timing. Ignition adjusts the distributer to change the point that the spark fires in the cycle. cam timing uses adjustable cam gears to adjust the point in the cycle that the valves open. Thats as good(or bad) as my explanations get though. I think its right. ;)

edit: more info here: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/insidetechnology/0208scc_insidetechnology01a/
you're right, other guy isn't

MoDCoN
14-10-2005, 02:35 PM
you're right, other guy isn't

thanks for that... just what i need

i too wouldnt mind learning about this stuff, and short of just poking at an engine hoping not be killed... i gotta read it online or somewhere... i dont think what i said was too far from what eclipsor has mentioned... what i was referring to was cam timing... i didnt say anything about ignition timing... ok now i know the difference

wynode
14-10-2005, 07:14 PM
i didnt say anything about ignition timing...

Sorry but you did reffer to ignition timing purely because you didn't know the difference between the two. You don't use a timing light to adjust cam timing, only for ignition timing.

iamhappy46
14-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Cam timing advance and retard refers to the camshafts relationship to the crankshaft.
For example, the Holden VL 3.0L Commodore(R31 Skyline here too) responds well to advancing the camshaft ONE tooth without pistons hitting valves.
Advancing your cam can result in your exhaust valves bumping into pistons, retarding leads to intake valves hitting pistons. It all depends on the motor...

EG5[KRT]
15-10-2005, 11:57 AM
you dont need to advance ur ignition timing because ur ecu already does that for you.

ur ecu monitors the type of fuel and automatically advances or retards ur timing.

so if ur running optimax then the ecu says ok ill run advanced a little because no pinging or knocking will occur... but if u have shit fuel then the ecu will notice this and retard the timing..

well tahts wat i have learnt so far.

MoDCoN
15-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Sorry but you did reffer to ignition timing purely because you didn't know the difference between the two. You don't use a timing light to adjust cam timing, only for ignition timing.

my bad, im sorry! i think i get it now...

ALLMTR996
15-10-2005, 09:41 PM
']you dont need to advance ur ignition timing because ur ecu already does that for you.

ur ecu monitors the type of fuel and automatically advances or retards ur timing.

so if ur running optimax then the ecu says ok ill run advanced a little because no pinging or knocking will occur... but if u have shit fuel then the ecu will notice this and retard the timing..

well tahts wat i have learnt so far.
Please enlighten us with your knowledge about how the Honda ECU knows what fuel is in the car.
ALLMTR996

tinkerbell
15-10-2005, 09:57 PM
sheesh! you should need a fecking licence to post replies in the technical forum, ffs!

wyn - can you please +rep ALLMTR996, he is always making great tech posts :thumbsup:

ALLMTR996
15-10-2005, 10:28 PM
sheesh! you should need a fecking licence to post replies in the technical forum, ffs!

wyn - can you please +rep ALLMTR996, he is always making great tech posts :thumbsup:
He is a wise old man that has been in the industry for longer than most of these knob jockies have been alive. :D
ALLMTR996

ProECU
16-10-2005, 01:23 AM
comedy central.