PDA

View Full Version : Retread: PROS and CONS

nickiipoohz
14-10-2005, 12:51 AM
hey guys, just wondering what are the pros and cons of retread tyres. Pro: they are cheap. Cons:??? help me out lol :D

Paul1985
14-10-2005, 12:58 AM
IMO retread is no good
at tafe in auto mechanics we watched a vid on it and they reckon its no good, they were testing them and the life and strength on them was pathetic. can be dangerous aswell... also new tyres dont really cost much more than re-treads.

just my opinion though, im sure there are people who always use them with no probs..

[ricer]
14-10-2005, 01:01 AM
they are cheap
and the quality you get is what you paid for

SINISTR
14-10-2005, 01:34 AM
many trucks use retreads, and you will notice alot of the time straps of rubber on the road - thats what peels off as the retreaded rubber seperates from the original compound.

My dad told me a few stories about situations back in europe when people were dying in fatal accidents because the retreaded tyre seperared at 100km/h causing a tyre deflation and the car to fly off the road or at oncomming traffic.

What did you want to use a retread for?

Paul1985
14-10-2005, 01:37 AM
think of it this way....
re-tread is cheap but will last nowhere near as long as new...
new is a little more expensive but will last alot longer than the re-tread...

so in the long run theres a big chance new is saving u money...

blackdc2
14-10-2005, 08:45 AM
pros's: burnout rubber :p

nickiipoohz
14-10-2005, 09:12 AM
nah got a f*cked tyre and was wondering if i should put a retread on. its only $50 lol. but from these stories.. no chance lol

[[d a n n y]]
14-10-2005, 10:13 AM
retread is not good mate

and i think 100Kmh is the speed limit for the tyres

SPEEDCORE
14-10-2005, 10:14 AM
It really depends on the skill of the retreader.... obviously it is never going to be the same as a brand new tyre as you just don't know if the casing has fractured a bit or not........ the average retreader I guess would not have adequate equipment to possibly test the "unseen" condition of a bad casing.

HOWEVER................ you guys would be amazed at the percentage of commerical aircraft that use retreaded tyres. It is very very high!

SINISTR
14-10-2005, 12:06 PM
nah got a f*cked tyre and was wondering if i should put a retread on. its only $50 lol. but from these stories.. no chance lol

for $50 you should be able to get a GOOD condition 80-90% tread tyre from a tyre dealer who stocks second hand tyres.. just ask. But make sure you get TWO tyres of thesame tread for one axle - don't mix and match!

roar
16-10-2005, 08:46 PM
It really depends on the skill of the retreader.... obviously it is never going to be the same as a brand new tyre as you just don't know if the casing has fractured a bit or not........ the average retreader I guess would not have adequate equipment to possibly test the "unseen" condition of a bad casing.

HOWEVER................ you guys would be amazed at the percentage of commerical aircraft that use retreaded tyres. It is very very high!

lol...can you imagine jacking up a commercial aircraft...

[edit] or maybe they just strap a mechanic onto the bottom of the plane and work on it in the air lol =) [end edit]

litmog
19-10-2005, 09:42 AM
couldnt you get a decent new tyre for a bit more? like 80 bux or so? i mean being the only thing touching the road, i wouldnt skimp out on $