PDA

View Full Version : just had my car serviced, probs(285,000km)

honda_nemesis
14-10-2005, 06:29 PM
i just had my car serviced, and i didnt realise the condition of my honda civic si 1991, D16A8.....i am now looking for an option, to sell it, fix it, recondition it, or get a half cut

here a list of problems of my car according to the mechanic report

rocker cover & seals leaking
Metal extract from auto gear box came out
cooler lines leaking
all belts are cracking and dry
N/S rear tyres excessive high & low spots
engine oil leaks(possibly main seal)

i had a chit chat with him, he did mentioned that my engine is burning oil, which means, its almost gone..........

my question is, what is the most vital components to fix from that list ... to keep me going ???
or is it better to get a 1/2 cut and replace everything....(where to get a 1/2 cut in sydney??)

and how much life expectancy do i have left with this car???

I dont have a problem, turning the key everyday, and driving it to work or anywhere, it starts everyday all the time.....

but i want to take precaution just in case i get stuck in the middle of nowhere....

thanks guys!

Paul1985
14-10-2005, 07:02 PM
If i were u i think id be considering purchasing another engine. I think u would pick one similar to what u have in there now for between $500 - $1000 not including labour..

Unless u are after a bit more power and have more money for a better engine.

ECU-MAN
14-10-2005, 09:20 PM
dude it shouldnt cost that much to fix all that, as for the tranny they always collect metal bits on the drain bolt magnet, thats what its there to do. if it had a bad case of metal bits in the tranny, you would know about it. ( its just the clutches wearing )
-belts arnt hard to change
-rear tyres will always go out of round if you dont rotate your tyres every 10000kms
-reseal rocca cover. ultra grey is only $12 from sprints
- tighten the sump, might fix that leak. if its the rear main seal, if its not pissing out, who cares, put a drip tray under your car to protect your driveway.
- tighten the AT cooler lines hose clapms.

ACTI0NMAN-1
14-10-2005, 09:22 PM
dude it shouldnt cost that much to fix all that, as for the tranny they always collect metal bits on the drain bolt magnet, thats what its there to do. if it had a bad case of metal bits in the tranny, you would know about it. ( its just the clutches wearing )
-rear tyres will always go out of round if you dont rotate your tyres every 10000kms
- tighten the sump, might fix that leak. if its the rear main seal, if its not pissing out, who cares, put a drip tray under your car to protect your driveway.

thats the most intellegent responce i've read all day :thumbsup:

honda_nemesis
14-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks ECU-man

so for my transmission(automatic), i shouldnt worry about the metal coming out??, because they advised me that my gear box is on its way out..........

and the rocca covers, where is it?? and can it be done easily if i were to do it myself??

last question

how much more life do i have in this motor??, its done a whopping amount of km's i know, but it starts all the time every time, and whats a good oil to put in the d16a8??

im currently using castrol GTX magnatec 10w-40, i have heard people using pure genuine honda oil, 10w-30.........

is it really that different?? and how often should the oil be changed??

thanks again for the advise, its quite comforting :-)....!

ECU-MAN
14-10-2005, 10:53 PM
have a look

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15443

the last photo shows steps on how to put back the rocca cover.

if you treat your engine well it will treat you well, change the oil in that baby every 5000km since its a bit long in the tooth. just stick to a good quality oil and you will be fine.

SLPJCooL
17-10-2005, 06:14 PM

Like what ECU-MAN said. Do it Yourself. Most of the problems you're facing aren't that hard to fix! Just buy yourself a Service Manual for your car and you'll be out there in your Garage fixing that BABi yourself.
Good Luck Bro :thumbsup:

wynode
17-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Moved to the civic forum