PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Sports Suspension on Euro

aleksandrov
16-10-2005, 01:17 PM
I've got a Mugen Sports Suspension kit on order for my 05 Euro, but I'm starting to get hassled by family members about how harsh the ride quality might be when I have them installed.

Does anybody have this set-up installed in their Euro? If so, I'd appreciate any insight into the difference in ride quality before I have them installed.

Cheers

yfin
16-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I haven't seen anyone post up here with a Mugen SS in Aust. Are you getting the adjustable or non-adjustable kit?

I think the nonadjustable kit is similar to the CL9 Honda kit I have - the spring rates I believe are very similar and the kit is made by the same company (Showa Corporation) for Mugen/Honda. The drop is the same. In the pics they even look the same (except mugen shocks are painted silver).

Either way the ride is not going to be harsh.

aleksandrov
16-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Yfin.

Yes, it is the non-adjustable Mugen kit for the CL9, which is made by Showa to Mugen specs. The spring rates are only slightly higher, but the rebound and compression rates seem to be considerably higher. I'm not sure exactly how much higher though. According to the King Motorsport website (http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?detail=1552&vehicle=TSX) , the specs are:

Dampening rate (0.3m/s)
Front: TEN 130/ COMP 153

Rear: TEN 146/COMP 149

These figures are defined as % from STD, but I'm not sure what that means. For instance, is the front rebound rate (I think that's what TEN stands for) 130% above standard or 30% above standard? Is the front compression rate 153% above standard or 53% above standard?

The spring rates are:
Spring rate
Front: 53.0 (standard is 49.0)
Rear: 33.0 (standard is 30.5)

I find it interesting that, by proportion, the front and rear springs have had similar rate increases, but the damping rates on the rear shocks have been considerably more increased than on the front shocks.

The height drop is 25mm, which I'm happy with. I'm after improved but balanced road handling (I'm sick of scraping my Integra, which is dropped by about 45mm, on every driveway and speed hump and of hopping around on rough surface bends), rather than pose factor or track work.

Btw, what is the CL9 Honda kit that you have? Is it a JDM Honda option? And do you know the rates compared to standard?

aleksandrov
16-10-2005, 02:16 PM
In relation to this comment in my previous post:

"I find it interesting that, by proportion, the front and rear springs have had similar rate increases, but the damping rates on the rear shocks have been considerably more increased than on the front shocks."

I just realised that it's only the rear rebound rate increase that is considerably higher than the front rebound rate increase, while the rear compression rate increase is actually a little lower than the front compression rate increase. The reason seems quite obvious now: the weight over the front end prevents it from rebounding as quickly as the rear, so it doesn't need as much rebound control from the dampers as the rear does. At least that SEEMS like the logical reason.

yfin
16-10-2005, 02:22 PM
It is the Honda UK CL9 sports suspension

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/pdfs/ACCORD03YM.pdf

Not sure if it is the same as the JDM sports suspension. Can't seem to find the part number for the JDM version. Probably is the same.

I don't know the spring rates for my suspension. I have a 5 page specification document but it is written in German for "Honda Access Europe NV". If anyone is fluent in German and prepared to translate I would be grateful :D

aleksandrov
16-10-2005, 02:41 PM
How did you manage to get your suspension from the UK? Did you find a dealer that ships to Australia?

I wouldn't mind getting the alloy gearshift knob with stitched leather boot.