PDA

View Full Version : new diff ratio

lspower
19-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi Guys..

My 1990 ls has final ratio of 4.4, am I thinking to change the final ratio using itr 4.78. I am thinking to buy a new diff from Honda suppliers(800$) but its nonrefundable. Would it fit???? Please give me some advice? I dnt want itr gear box, but rather a new itr diff.

quangsta
19-10-2005, 11:39 AM
not being a dick...but if ur asking a honda supplier wouldnt they know whether it will fit or not???...

anyway i think people will need to know what gear box u have or what car it came from and what diff you are buying or what gearbox it is for....

lspower
19-10-2005, 11:47 AM
dammm, no luck for me yet......on the net they reckon all B series gear box are interchageable. Is that a bull?........any more suggestions...

ekslut
19-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Nope, internal wise, they are not all interchangable

Here is what I know has the same size diff gear:

-Pre '98 ITR, all CTR, all Integra VTI-R are the same size diff gear (4.4)
-Civic VTI-R (4.4)
-'98+ ITR (4.7**)
-Cable gearbox's from EF9, EF8, DA's (4.4)

You cannot change any of the 4.4's to 4.7 by just chaning the diff gear (final drive). But it can be done on all except the cable gearbox's. You will need the countershaft 1st gear, needle bearings and distance collar and the 4.7 diff gear.

Search around for a more accurate parts list though

lspower
19-10-2005, 12:25 PM
I liked your name"ek slut" , a peson with lots of inspirations(no offence).

My is cable gear box....is it easy to convert???to hydro or not necessary.

ekslut
19-10-2005, 12:49 PM
sorry, your out of luck. Your only option is too look around and find a aftermarket final drive. Try ATS, I think they can get a final drive for cable gearbox's.

The cable gearbox is a pain in the arse with this sort of stuff. I had the same problems in my ED6, thats why I changed mine to a hydro CTR gearbox.

haha...yeah, the name came around coz I had a EK and was in the process of buying 2 more :rolleyes: Didn't end up happening though, got myself a '88 Civic instead :thumbsup:

ATSEK4
19-10-2005, 07:16 PM
ATS final drive will never fit any cable transmissin...

i also got a EK and a ED6. EK feel stiff. ED feel so light but turn better at the round about.

man i dun think Honda knows whether something will fit or not if they have never tried.

When i install my ATS final drive in honda, they dun know until they open the box and found the type R lsd won't fit EK4 final drive.

Good luck

lspower
20-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks for all replies.
My last question...whats the web site for ATS?

Thanks

ekslut
20-10-2005, 08:42 AM
ATS final drive will never fit any cable transmissin...

They used to have one especially for the cable transmission. Last time I checked though they said they were running them out though.

http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/

lspower
20-10-2005, 09:09 AM
thanks

Banana
20-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Guys..

My 1990 ls has final ratio of 4.4, am I thinking to change the final ratio using itr 4.78. I am thinking to buy a new diff from Honda suppliers(800$) but its nonrefundable. Would it fit???? Please give me some advice? I dnt want itr gear box, but rather a new itr diff.

dont bother changing the diff with ur current engine, its a waste and u wont notice any difference if its just a daily driven car. change the engine 1st then go for the full swap