PDA

View Full Version : Camber kit, for handling purposes

Hondavirgin
19-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey

I searched and there's a ton of threads on "i need a camber kit to correct my negative camber", but i'm looking for info on adjusting the camber to increase the negative camber on my DC2 VtiR.

So, firstly, what do i need, think i read somewhere i need to replace the upper control arms to do this on my car? Is this right coz i've also seen some with just a plate on the top of the strut.

Secondly, how much negative camber would people suggest, based on experience. I'm thinking something along the lines of -2.5, as this should give me some handling benefit whislt also not destroying my tyres too quickly.

Oh, also, this is for the fronts only.

aozora
20-10-2005, 12:08 AM
It depends on your suspension type.. I'm not sure what DC2s use but the type you're thinking of is a MacPherson strut with a top plate. Others replace upper arms etc etc... which I think might be the case for you?
But how much negative camber do you need in the first place? And how low is your car? It's all sort of relative... I'm not sure if your car allows for stock camber adjustment, if you ask your alignment place though I'm sure they'll tell you if it can... or somebody with more of a clue then me :p Cause if you can, find out how much you can wind in... then go from there :)

How much camber... I'm currently current -1.5 degrees... (still had a proper alignment yet, as I'll be aiming for a bit more now that I've got camber tops...) max I'd run on street is -3 though. So you've got the right idea there :) I think you'll have to be more careful though, seeing as your car is FWD, there is more reliance on the front tyres so you have to make sure under all conditions the camber won't be detrimental... as in, under heavy braking, cornering, acceleration etc.

Sorry I'm not much help ahha.

Hondavirgin
20-10-2005, 12:11 AM
well, at least you responded mate! cheers.

Yeah, should be fine cornering, and should be still fine i would think for straight line stuff.....the important stuff like braking. 2.5 aint that much. So macpherson strut uses the strut top plates?

aozora
20-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Just remember though, the best investment with suspension is ultimately tyres so... yer :)

And yer MacPherson strut uses camber offset plates which move the top of the strut to angle the amount of camber you need...!

wynode
20-10-2005, 04:14 PM
The integra vti-r has double wishbone front and back. For the rear you can get away with changine the bolts that go into the car body and inserting some washers to give you more (positive) camber however for the front you will have to purchase a camber kit.

As for how much camber you should run I can't say. Check the whiteline website (www.whiteline.com.au) and have a look through their articles. The tradeoff for too much negative camber though is your tyres won't last as long.

Integra_Type[R]
02-11-2005, 10:33 AM
The integra vti-r has double wishbone front and back. For the rear you can get away with changine the bolts that go into the car body and inserting some washers to give you more (positive) camber however for the front you will have to purchase a camber kit.

As for how much camber you should run I can't say. Check the whiteline website (www.whiteline.com.au (http://www.whiteline.com.au/)) and have a look through their articles. The tradeoff for too much negative camber though is your tyres won't last as long.

doing the dodgy washer thing to increase camber.. can it be done with ek's as well?

wynode
02-11-2005, 12:16 PM
If the EK has the same upper arm as the EG/DC2 (where is meets the body) then most probably yes :)